R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: buss compression  (Read 36725 times)

j.hall

Re: buss compression
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »

the vari-mu is not tube only.  however, it is variable ratio past threshold.  the ratio increases the higher you go above threshold.

YZ

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 14:57

MGAudio wrote on Wed, 23 July 2008 14:32

Sure you can calculate the gain reduction with an equation.

how about a vari-mu comp?

i'd like to see that math.

and actually, let's make a bit harder.  tell me the ratio.  i have a meter that tells me GR.

It is not actually hard, today we have the computing power to do that in real-time at a reasonable cost.

But IMHO it would have little practical use, since you cannot set neither the ratio nor the knee.

Much easier to do in a plug-in than in hardware, but it would cost processing power in a plug.
regards,

YZ

j.hall

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 03:23:15 PM »

YZ wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 12:15

But IMHO it would have little practical use, since you cannot set neither the ratio nor the knee.

that was kinda my point.....

none of this math is very relevant.  if it sounds good, who really cares how much GR is happening.

NelsonL

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »

I'm typically more worried about income reduction-- this can can be related to improper gain reduction.

loudsongsinc

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 24 July 2008 10:52

listen to the new seether record and tell me it sounds like crap

The sound on that album is wonderful.  Everything is very well recorded and mixed.  The guitars sound great as well as the bottom end.  

There seems to be a stereo field treatment of some kind happening with many of the rhythm guitars and some of the backing vox.  It makes them sound WIDE.  Anybody know what's going on in there?  Is  one side shifted in time?  Listen to Like Suicide when the Rhythm Gtrs come in and it gets heavy.
Scott Bryant
Not an Audio Engineer

j.hall

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »

i only have "fake it" and "fallen"  the guitars are super wide on "fallen" but i hear that as just hard panned.

it doesn't cancel much in mono.  does the song you're talking about have a lot of mono cancellations?

bblackwood

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »

Probably just doubled.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

loudsongsinc

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »

There's really no mono cancelling to speak of, it doesn't comb filter like a panned mult shifted would.

There's something more than doubling or panning going on. . . I think?

On "Fallen" it's just hard panning.  Sounds like a real tight doubletrack panned L/R.

Check out "Fake It" at 0:15 when it comes out of lofi and the crunchy gtrs come in.

The gtr player(s) is/are tight.  REAL Tight, SUPER tight, the rhythm is spot on.  But isn't the left channel a few miliseconds earlier than the right?  And in the palm muted part staring at 0:46 the right channel seems to lead the left.  Again, the gtr doubles are played TIGHT!

Awesome album.

Scott Bryant
Not an Audio Engineer

marcel

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 02:19:58 AM »

loudsongsinc wrote on Sat, 26 July 2008 18:56

The gtr player(s) is/are tight.  REAL Tight, SUPER tight, the rhythm is spot on.

Shuffled in Protools tight, I bet...
Best, Marcel

rankus

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

Perhaps re-amped and panned?  I dunno, I haven't heard the track, but have in the past used several re-amped tracks panned out to make some pretty huge ultra tight "doubles"

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

loudsongsinc wrote on Sat, 26 July 2008 20:56

There's really no mono cancelling to speak of, it doesn't comb filter like a panned mult shifted would.

There's something more than doubling or panning going on. . . I think?

On "Fallen" it's just hard panning.  Sounds like a real tight doubletrack panned L/R.

Check out "Fake It" at 0:15 when it comes out of lofi and the crunchy gtrs come in.

The gtr player(s) is/are tight.  REAL Tight, SUPER tight, the rhythm is spot on.  But isn't the left channel a few miliseconds earlier than the right?  And in the palm muted part staring at 0:46 the right channel seems to lead the left.  Again, the gtr doubles are played TIGHT!

Awesome album.

i know the some mixers use very mild stereo imaging effects on guitars.  i haven't a clue about CLA's practices.  i know his mixes are generally spot on, are aggressive, and his top to bottom balances are rarely anything shy of perfect.  other then that, i know VERY little about his work flow.

to my ears, fake it and fallen don't have anything going on that i'd call "tricky", or "fancy"  it's just a rock band, being a rock band, mixed incredibly well.

Colorblind

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »

I thought this was an indie rock forum?  Are seether really indie rock?  Am I at the wrong meeting?   I'm sure the record sounds great, but I'll never be able to listen to it due to the horrible songwriting on any single they've ever pooped out.

C

bblackwood

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »

Colorblind wrote on Fri, 08 August 2008 10:38

I thought this was an indie rock forum?  Are seether really indie rock?  Am I at the wrong meeting?   I'm sure the record sounds great, but I'll never be able to listen to it due to the horrible songwriting on any single they've ever pooped out.

So you're unable to learn tips and techniques from other styles or genres of music?

That's too bad.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

grantis

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »

Colorblind wrote on Fri, 08 August 2008 10:38

C

I'm not a fan of them either.

But their records sound HUUUUUGE.  

Call me crazy and all, but I listen to Nickelback for the same reason.  I don't like their music, yet a lot can be learned from the way their records sound.
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Podgorny

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »

Come on, Grant.
You listen to nickelback because you like the lead singer's hair.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.