R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: buss compression  (Read 37104 times)

NelsonL

Re: buss compression
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2008, 08:43:40 AM »

T. Mueller wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 04:56

Quote:

One time the A/V section said something nice about my band. I knew it was too good to be true...

Are YOU the promising local area band??  No WAY!!!

We show up, but that's about the only promise we can be sure of.

j.hall

« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Thu, 11 December 2008 01:00

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 11:25

i want the fastest release i can get away with.  if that doesn't make sense, then set your buss compressor on it's fastest release, and hit it hard, and hear what happens.  if it doesn't pump like crazy and the lowend still sounds open and big, i think you've found your release time.

My attack time changes based on the material, but release time always stays on auto.  
The faster release times can sound exciting when you a/b, but I like how the auto mode behaves (and how I respond to its behavior).

auto release is great.  you have to get used to mixing into it.  totally a different approach.  i've also found that auto release works best with faster attack times.

have you tried the fastest attack with the 10:1 ratio on auto release?  just barely tickle the GR meter......i mean barely!

j.hall

« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »

maybe this will help, maybe not.

http://www.thetarhythm.com/BussCompression/Repair.mp3

i did that mix last friday 4dB of buss compression.

Jonah A. Kort

« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 12 December 2008 13:46

maybe this will help, maybe not.

http://www.thetarhythm.com/BussCompression/Repair.mp3

i did that mix last friday 4dB of buss compression.

the sound of rock n roll.  

P.S. New LIJ kills, J.

osumosan

« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2008, 09:06:13 PM »

J, Do you mind telling us how the tape stop bass note was achieved at that break near the end? Did you just run the mix and stop the machine at that point and then edit the mix pieces back together? Inspired. The low end is so big and really open, too.

Podgorny

« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »

osumosan wrote on Sun, 14 December 2008 20:06

J, Do you mind telling us how the tape stop bass note was achieved at that break near the end? Did you just run the mix and stop the machine at that point and then edit the mix pieces back together? Inspired. The low end is so big and really open, too.

The effect is called Vari-Fi.  It's part of Digidesign's D-Fi plugin pack.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=115 &itemid=1009

If you're on PC/VST, there's a free plugin called "TapeStop" that will do the same thing.

PS: J, I tried your mix bus compressor settings, and now my mixes sound awesome.  THANKS!
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

j.hall

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Mon, 15 December 2008 00:18

PS: J, I tried your mix bus compressor settings, and now my mixes sound awesome.  THANKS!

glad it's working for you!

rankus

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and the posted example J.  I am going to give Bus Comp another look... Although quite happy with my current workflow / results, it's always good to get a few more tricks in the bag.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

j.hall

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »

not sure that example helps at all.  i just don't like tons of talk about overall techniques when there isn't really anything tangible to base it on.

bob ebeling

« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »

Hey J.
One suggestion for a different preset to try on the SSL.  
I think this could have some use for you because I use an Alan Smart C1 very similarly to how you are using the SSL.
Also, the mp3 you've got up really shows your preset because of a lack of transient punch.

Set the Attack to 10 (seecond to slowest)
and Release to -3 (second from fastest)

These presets, especially at 4:1 with 2-4db gr, give the beginning of the phrase more grab.  I think it's more the attack
that is doing it, so you could leave your favorite release.  It's really the sound of these units, the punch and bump at 80hz.
For some reason when the attack is at it's slowest (30), everthing smooths over more, less punch.

Also, thanks for the tip on auto release in conjunction with faster attack settings.  After 20 years of engineering I still can't get myself to quicken attack times or slow down release times, but this setting will help alot I have a feeling.

This actually brings up a possible new subject...hell, I'll go start it.
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2009, 02:54:51 PM »

I tend to not use a mix buss compressor.

That said, sometimes a client opens their wonderful mouth and says they want a louder rough mix.

Then I tend to use software like the Focusrite D3, the Waves SSL comp, or even the API 2500 comp. Depends on the song.

I set them to Limit only, set the threshhold so it only grabs the biggest peaks of the whole song, and comp to 1:1.5, or the lowest it has, fast attack, and fast release.

I listen to make sure I do not really hear it going. My aim is to hit onyl the peak transients, and allow the mix to come up in level a few dB.

When I deliver to mastering, I always take off any of the mix buss stuff. I let the mastering guy do his job.

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

bob ebeling

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2009, 06:31:12 PM »

'wonderful mouth' lol

Depends for me on several factors.  First, if the mixes are never gonna make it to an A-list mastering, or even B or C, then I'll smack that ass just enough to hear skin on skin but not leave a hand print.  
If the mixes are destined for some good objective next step, then it's up to musical style.  Rockin' jams and club bangers will get the sexy spanking.  Smooth jazz and feelings music maybe not.
I do love hearing great masterings that do it up right.  It gives records more of a unique signature when they don't have the smack in a box sound.  But the mastering budget has to be up there for me to trust that this will happen.  
Bob Ebeling
bobebeling.bandcamp.com
Virginia

T. Mueller

« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »

Quote:

My aim is to hit onyl the peak transients, and allow the mix to come up in level a few dB.

RMS, or peak?  Just curious.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

T. Mueller wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 07:32

Quote:

My aim is to hit only the peak transients, and allow the mix to come up in level a few dB.

Peak Transients. If I did RMS, it would be squashed beyond all comprehension...

Cheers
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

red cross

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »

Nick Sevilla wrote on Tue, 13 January 2009 11:30

T. Mueller wrote on Mon, 12 January 2009 07:32

Quote:

My aim is to hit only the peak transients, and allow the mix to come up in level a few dB.

Peak Transients. If I did RMS, it would be squashed beyond all comprehension...

Cheers

Are the comps you use fast enough to catch those peaks? I almost always end up having to resort to brickwall limiters if I need to "louden" mixes that are already peaking near FS.
Best,
Justin
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.