R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: buss compression  (Read 37109 times)

T. Mueller

Re: buss compression
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2008, 11:32:38 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 10:23

I don't understand how you can leave the release the same, J.

How?  Simple.  He just doesn't touch them.  (Kidding.)

In all seriousness, I don't really understand how the mixes end up as consistently good as they do without adjusting the release, either, but my guess it's from the fact that he's got enough experience making the output sonically/dynamically similar from mix to mix.  What REALLY doesn't make sense to me is that each mix has enough character to distinguish itself from others that he does.

They sound pretty effing good.  

+1, Mr. Hall.

J-Texas

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »

The only thing that I can figure on this, is that the mix isn't hitting the SSL hard enough to really make a difference on the release. Maybe? I mean, J. has said that he does most of his compression individually. If the buss compressor is just used primarily to "pack it in" nicely together and reign in the transients, then it really wouldn't matter the release. Am I off here?

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

T. Mueller

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2008, 01:49:43 PM »

Quote:

my guess it's from the fact that he's got enough experience making the output sonically/dynamically similar from mix to mix

Your summary is pretty much what I meant my quote above.  J Hall will probably correct me, but I think he's mixing individual tracks in a way that tames the majority of transients enough so that the SSL isn't slammed.  The mixes I've gotten from J. Hall are definitely not hyper-compressed/limited.  Maybe more than for my taste, but certainly excellent.

I'd be interested to see the meters on the SSL during a session, definitely, but I'm going with your theory.

j.hall

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »

because it sounds good!  must we over think and analyze it?

the attack, ratio and release on the SSL are *not* variable

the release time has so little to do with my work sounding different from project to project.  it seems like you guys are giving my SSL all the credit for my mixes.  it's just a piece of gear.....a tool

"thank for this award, but i can not except it, i must pass it to my ssl buss compressor, it does all the real work, i just change the lamps and dust it regularly"

like i said, i do 2 - 4 db of gain reduction on the ssl.  it all depends on the song and the feel i'm going for.

NelsonL

« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2008, 12:17:03 AM »

I've never found myself wanting a slower release time on buss compression anyway.

Podgorny

« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2008, 01:21:15 AM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 09 December 2008 13:33

my ssl buss compressor, it does all the real work, i just change the lamps and dust it regularly"

You've got an original G384, right?  Does yours eat bulbs too?

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

iCombs

« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »

T. Mueller wrote on Mon, 08 December 2008 08:37

mcsnare wrote on Thu, 04 December 2008 23:25

Leaving headroom is a total non issue for me with regards to mastering. As long as your stereo buss doesn't have any overs, any level is fine. If you have plugins on the stereo buss inserts just make sure you are not hitting them too hard, cause most don't sound good with lots of level. I routinely get mixes from A list mixers that sound amazing and peak at -.1 dbfs. The mix doesn't have to be that loud to sound good, but if proper attention has been paid to gain staging in the stereo bus inserts, and nothing is clipping, I don't think it matters.

Dave

+1.

Just reading through this thread again and remembered the best reason for leaving some headroom...EQ.

It seems as though having enough room at the top so that additive EQ can be used without pushing anything into clipping would probably be ideal.  Past that, I hear what you guys are saying...as long as the levels are reasonable it should all come out in the wash, so to speak.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

j.hall

« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 00:21

my ssl buss compressor, it does all the real work, i just change the lamps and dust it regularly"

You've got an original G384, right?  Does yours eat bulbs too?

yes, and not anymore.  i changed out the lamps for LED lamps.  they haven't burnt out yet and it's been nearly a year.

J-Texas

« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

because it sounds good!  must we over think and analyze it?

the attack, ratio and release on the SSL are *not* variable

the release time has so little to do with my work sounding different from project to project.  it seems like you guys are giving my SSL all the credit for my mixes.  it's just a piece of gear.....a tool

"thank for this award, but i can not except it, i must pass it to my ssl buss compressor, it does all the real work, i just change the lamps and dust it regularly"

like i said, i do 2 - 4 db of gain reduction on the ssl.  it all depends on the song and the feel i'm going for.

I don't think that I personally WAS over-analyzing anything, J. Rather, trying to understand your way of doing things. My guess is that it would be fairly irresponsible for someone in your position to be leading guys/gals, who are trying to learn, into thinking that release doesn't matter in compression (or attack, or ratio, etc. for that matter). I would also guess, after listening to your work and reading your posts, that you do a massive amount of compression before it ever gets to that SSL (or whatever you're using at the time). In which case, you would be more or less leveling instead of compressing with that thing and, no, release wouldn't be that big of a factor.

This post reads like you just stick something on across your mix and it doesn't really matter what you set it on. It would be really confusing if I didn't have my own set of beliefs about it in the first place. "Oh, don't even touch that knob, J. Hall said it doesn't even do anything for the mix." I didn't say that's how you put it, but it's like playing the "telephone" game.

Are we jiving here? Forget the SSL. We're talking about buss compression.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

j.hall

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »

well, i never said that A, R, RE didn't matter.

however, i'm the first to always say, "use your ears"  

i think that the recording community (in general) spends too much time looking at meters and knobs and not nearly enough time listening to audio.

Liam said it best:

Quote:

I've never found myself wanting a slower release time on buss compression anyway.

i want the fastest release i can get away with.  if that doesn't make sense, then set your buss compressor on it's fastest release, and hit it hard, and hear what happens.  if it doesn't pump like crazy and the lowend still sounds open and big, i think you've found your release time.

BTW, if there is anyone out there that has opened their mouth and said, "i do it this way because j.hall said to on the internet".  i'd imagine that would be the same person who reads The Onion and believes it.

i can't recall the last time i've dished out anything other then my own opinion or personal workflow.

J-Texas

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 11:25

BTW, if there is anyone out there that has opened their mouth and said, "i do it this way because j.hall said to on the internet".  i'd imagine that would be the same person who reads The Onion and believes it.

Razz

Thanks for the clarification.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

T. Mueller

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

Quote:

Mmmm... I love me some guacamole...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/bill_clinton_agr ees_to

NelsonL

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »

T. Mueller wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 10:33

Quote:

Mmmm... I love me some guacamole...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/bill_clinton_agr ees_to

One time the A/V section said something nice about my band. I knew it was too good to be true...

Podgorny

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2008, 02:00:48 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 10 December 2008 11:25

i want the fastest release i can get away with.  if that doesn't make sense, then set your buss compressor on it's fastest release, and hit it hard, and hear what happens.  if it doesn't pump like crazy and the lowend still sounds open and big, i think you've found your release time.

My attack time changes based on the material, but release time always stays on auto.  
The faster release times can sound exciting when you a/b, but I like how the auto mode behaves (and how I respond to its behavior).
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

T. Mueller

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2008, 07:56:06 AM »

Quote:

One time the A/V section said something nice about my band. I knew it was too good to be true...

Are YOU the promising local area band??  No WAY!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 19 queries.