R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: buss compression  (Read 36737 times)

j.hall

buss compression
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »

so, i'm re-thinking some of my "standards" and looking to play around a bit, see if something cooler won't present itself to me.

i have an SSL 384 buss compressor that sits on my stereo buss.

i hardly ever touch it.

i've always doen 4:1 ratio, the fastest release and the slowest attack

release is 100ms attack is 30ms

i'm typically compressing a mix between 1 to 3 dB

anyone have any buss comp settings that i should give a go at?

NelsonL

Re: buss compression
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 01:39:25 PM »

Pretty much the same here only Tube Tech LCA 2B.

The best thing I've heard on my 2 buss is still tape--not so much for compression, but it does glue things together.

A lot of our clients can't or won't swing it though.

rankus

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

I virtually never use 2 bus comp.

(Adding another perspective)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Fig

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

rankus wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 15:08

I virtually never use 2 bus comp.

(Adding another perspective)

I never use a virtual two bus comp. Rolling Eyes

Back when I was trying to get my mixes as loud as others' masters we would use a variety of 2-bus comps (usually at like 2:1) - but not anymore.  Now I just use the control room monitor volume knob and let the program be dynamic.

J, 4:1 seems like a LOT to me on the 2-bus.  If you're seeing 1-3 dB of reduction, that's 4 - 12 dB of dynamic range you are sucking up.  'Course, it all depends on the material I guess - in your case(s) it might be just the thing.

I like to mix with nothing between my console's outputs and the converters.  I feel it makes me a better mixer, and that produces better mixes.  Works for me.

YMMV,

Fig

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

grantis

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

I've been utilizing about 2 db MAX at 2:1 lately.  It seems to keep my mixes more open.  This is a reduction from about 4 db MAX at 4:1.

Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

j.hall

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

Fig wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 15:33

oom monitor volume knob and let the program be dynamic.

J, 4:1 seems like a LOT to me on the 2-bus.  If you're seeing 1-3 dB of reduction, that's 4 - 12 dB of dynamic range you are sucking up.  'Course, it all depends on the material I guess - in your case(s) it might be just the thing.

i only have 3 choices on the SSL.  2:1, 4:1, and 10:1

they all sound different (when you match the GR) and 4:1 sounds the best to me.  i like aggressive compression

10:1 actually sounds cool on certain stuff with the GR meter hardly moving.

Adam Miller

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:09:48 AM »

Fig wrote on Thu, 15 May 2008 21:33

J, 4:1 seems like a LOT to me on the 2-bus.  If you're seeing 1-3 dB of reduction, that's 4 - 12 dB of dynamic range you are sucking up.  

Eh? How does that work?

J-Texas

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:12:31 AM »

Adam Miller wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 03:09

J, 4:1 seems like a LOT to me on the 2-bus.  If you're seeing 1-3 dB of reduction, that's 4 - 12 dB of dynamic range you are sucking up.  

Eh? How does that work?

4 to 1

4 times 3dB of reduction = 12db of dynamics you're sucking up!
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

beau

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 11:05:58 AM »

J-Texas wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 06:12

Eh? How does that work?

4 to 1

not really the case from what i understand.

A compressor reduces the gain (level) of an audio signal if its amplitude exceeds a threshold. The amount of gain reduction is determined by a ratio. For example, with a ratio of 4:1, when the (time averaged) input level is 4 dB over the threshold, the output signal level will be 1 dB over the threshold. The gain (level) has been reduced by 3 dB. When the input level is 8 dB above the threshold, the output level will be 2 dB; a 6 dB gain reduction.
A more specific example for a 4:1 ratio:
using a digital dbfs meter.

Threshold = ?10 dB
Input = ?6 dB (4 dB above the threshold)
Output = ?9 dB (1 dB above the threshold)

paece

beau
I'll take ape tit for 500.

beau

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 11:26:48 AM »

jay, do you find that the 4:1 sounds smoother than the 2:1 on your ssl comp? i am using the al smart c2 and prefer 2:1 for the same reason you prefer the 4:1 i love compression, and for some reason on the c2, the 2:1 sounds more aggressive than the 4:1  

usually medium attack straight up at 1 i believe, with fastest release.  1-3 db of compression is all i can handle on the 2 bus, before mastering guys get mad at me.

peace

beau
I'll take ape tit for 500.

Fig

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »

beau wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 10:05

A compressor reduces the gain (level) of an audio signal if its amplitude exceeds a threshold. The amount of gain reduction is determined by a ratio. For example, with a ratio of 4:1, when the (time averaged) input level is 4 dB over the threshold, the output signal level will be 1 dB over the threshold. The gain (level) has been reduced by 3 dB. When the input level is 8 dB above the threshold, the output level will be 2 dB; a 6 dB gain reduction.

Threshold = ?10 dB

paece

beau

I'm sorry, I was just jumping to a conclusion with the simple math.

Perhaps I am generalizing and all devices actually behave differently, but the way I understand it -

when only concerned with above threshold signals at 4:1 ratio - when a 4 dB increase goes in, only a 1 dB increase comes out (not very noticable) - the GR meter reads 3 dB down.  So you gotta put in a whopping 12 dB increase to get a 3 dB increase out (a noticable increase) -- you're right though, that's only 9 dB of GR - and its NOT what J is doing, either.  But the implications are astounding to me.

Time constants and the actual program material can yield different results ( as can different compressors, even at the "same" settings).  That may sound really cool on some room mics or something, but it seems excessive for the whole mix, IMO.

The 4 dB input increase is sure to be noticed by the listener if left uncompressed (not a bad thing in my mind) - the resulting 1 dB increase in compressed output slips by relatively unnoticed.  To get a 3 dB increase at the output (again something noticable by the listener) the program has to increase by 12 dB!  I guess I'm just hoping that the majority of the mix is below threshold, and therefore behaving linearly.

Lately I have been going for "dynamically open" mixes (no bus comp) and truly enjoying the 6-10 dB of dynamic range from peaks versus average levels (the clients dig it too).

I understand why a lot of modern rock recordings strive for a dynamic range of 2 or 3 dB between peaks and average - but it bothers me sometimes when I know there is so much more there that is being "contained" by bus compression.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some juicy comp - just not on the whole mix.

Different strokes, right?

Fig

Podgorny

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »

I think somebody misunderstands how the metering on their compressors works.

I GUARANTEE I'm not taking 48dB off of a guitar track when I'm compressing 12:1 on an 1176.

As far as your mix buss comp goes, I never move away from 4:1, but the attack varies between 10ms and 30ms, depending upon the music.  Release is usually is on auto, but once again, it depends upon the music.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

Fig

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 11:50

I GUARANTEE I'm not taking 48dB off of a guitar track when I'm compressing 12:1 on an 1176.

Methinks you misread what I miswrote! Cool

J-Texas

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »

beau wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 10:05

J-Texas wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 06:12

Eh? How does that work?

4 to 1

Threshold = ?10 dB

paece

beau

I know you can't figure this out with an equation like I wrote! That was the only thing that would equal twelve.

Geez, I go to lunch and look what happens!  Rolling Eyes

Here's some good poopoo reading: http://www.barryrudolph.com/mix/comp.html
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Adam Miller

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:41 AM »

Not that I want to derail this topic, but if the gain reduction metering on Js mixbuss comp reads 1-3 dB, then he's reducing the dynamic range of his music by....

...take a wild guess. The metering ballistics of the SSL comp are another matter, but let's assume it gives a pretty accurate representation of what's going on.

There's not a whole load of parameters to mess about with on an SSL - try 3ms attack, 300ms release, 2:1 with 2-3dB reduction.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 19 queries.