R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pres comparison for dummies  (Read 3232 times)

cordura21

Pres comparison for dummies
« on: May 27, 2004, 10:22:25 AM »

Hey guys. I got rid of my Digi 001 and I'm buying a cheaper card and outboard pres. I was focusing on the RNP, since they already have a great product (RNC), everybody praises it and plus Mark seems to be an open to discussion guy (which I value).
Then a friend told me "I heard good things about M-Audio's pres", and that started the search.
My goal is to invest in something that is a considerable step from my Digi pres. When I started looking on M-Audio line of pres I found the Audio Buddy and the DMP3, so that makes it four pres to compare.
So the four of them (Digi 001, RNP, DMP3 and A-Buddy) have quite different prices, but I really don't have any tool to understand why they cost what they cost and more importantly, what are the differences in them.
I read the Big Mic Thread and that gave me a better understanding of mics, and make it easier for me to compare them. I started reading the new Mic Pre Thread and although it's great info it's far too technical for me.

So anyways, can anyody help me to compare pres?
Thanks very much, Andr

Bill Park

Re: Pres comparison for dummies
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 02:47:41 PM »

Lynn Fuston has just finished a big preamp listening party.  The results will be available on disk.  Mostly more expensive pres than those that you have listed, though.

Bill

Bubbagump

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 03:34:15 PM »

Where is this "Big Pre Amp" Thread? I have read the Big Mic thread as well and it really helped understand the whole picture in regards to mics, so a similar thread with pres would be a heck of a help.

cordura21

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:12:07 PM »

Bubbagump wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 16:34

Where is this "Big Pre Amp" Thread?

http://recpit.prosoundweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=7774

It's a great thread (just check the names of the posters), but it got too technical for me. I can't follow it.

grock5

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 12:02:06 AM »

cordura21 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 10:22

So anyways, can anyody help me to compare pres?

Understanding how a particular preamp works and why it sounds the way it does, is valuable information to have at your disposal. But ultimately, it comes down to how they sound, and whether they are relevant to what you are recording.

The only advice I can give, is to find a way to get these pre's into a studio you trust, and give them a workout yourself.

cordura21

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 08:57:44 AM »

Hey Gary. Thanks but I still want to know about the details. Plus, I live in Argentina and none of those devices are sold here. So I have to do my research and trus in other people's opinions.

One very practical question would be why the DMP3 and the RNP are different in price? Please, I just want to learn for educational purposes, not to start a comparison or holly war about them. After all, it can't be because of quantities produced, and other differences.

Waiting for a rope Wink, Andr

Johnboy Walton

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 11:40:26 AM »

Andr

cordura21

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 11:51:34 AM »

I didn't find any RNP around here.
As of the DMP3, the local dealear has it for U$S 360.

Andr

Johnboy Walton

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »

$360US for the DMP3!!!!!!!!

The RNP sells in the US for only $450US.  I don't know anything about import duties, shipping, etc, though.

Assuming this is for a hobby and not a business, do you have any friends in the US who could buy an RNP for you and ship it?  I don't know if that would make any difference or not, but if you've got to spend more than double what we pay for the DMP3, then the RNP (at its usual US price) would be a bargain.

Good luck, sir.  If you do manage to get both, let us know what you think.

Mike

cordura21

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 01:48:02 PM »

I'm planning to do that. Here it's too expensive (as an example, they have an UNO 1x1 midi interface for U$S 99).
I sold my 001 localy for U$S 750 (I loved it but ASIO drivers didn't do the trick). So my rationale was to buy a Delta 1010LT + a RNC + (RNC | DMP3). I already have a 12 channel Yamaha mixer with 8 pres, but I wanted a pair of better ones. But I never got the needed knowledge to compare pres. For what I know, the DMP3 could be an Audio Buddy with meters. See what I mean?

Johnboy Walton

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 02:53:17 PM »

Try the following:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s= 90ea8617afb5e3e6eca8d70a2938d49b&threadid=637258

I would especially check out this post:

If you can afford to spend just a little more the M-Audio DMP3 gives you two channels that are a bit better than the Audio Buddy, no fake toob thang, high/low gain buttons (basically an electronic pad) low rolloff and a price that is more than the VTB-1 but acually lower cost per channel. In my opinion this is the most versatile and best bang for your buck if you are looking for a good micpreamp and can't afford to put out for an FMR, a Grace or something even more serious.

I would say this thread will largely answer your questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.