R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rode NTK question  (Read 3087 times)

Harland

Rode NTK question
« on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »

I recently bought a second hand Rode NTK. I tested it out with my voice and with an acoustic guitar and I liked the fullness and the presence and I liked that it had all the high end without seeming harsh or brittle or too hyped. IIRC, I didn't warm it up for a long time before testing it.  Then I used it several days later on a guy doing voice ad spots and made sure it warmed up for half an hour first. I noticed some high frequencies in his voice poking out badly and had to EQ it. I thought maybe it was just the wrong mic for that particular voice. Then in another session I used it on kick drum and it was fine. But then I used it (fully warmed up) on acoustic guitar again and then some female BGs and it sounded very 'ringy' and 'whistle-y' in spots, particularly between 4 - 12 K. I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with it. Would a bad tube cause problems like that? Anyone else have a similar issue with an NTK?
(the recording chain was NTK > Mackie D8B over ADAT > Digi 002)

parloursound

Re: Rode NTK question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:24 PM »

Yeah, could be something wrong with it.  I have never noticed that with mine.  Although I only really use it as a drum room mic
The Parlour Recording Studio in Northampton, UK

rankus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:38 PM »

Hi Harland,  It may be an idea to pop the tube out and have it tested...?  Richard at Backline (just around the corner from my shack) would prolly do that for you no charge.

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Harland

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:35:17 PM »

Hey Rick,
Good idea, thanks. I recorded the same vocalist the same way but with a Sony C48 and it did the same thing, so I came to the conclusion that it's her voice or the room and stopped worrying about the NTK. I'll continue to monitor it of course.

rankus

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:40:31 PM »

I have a singer or two that has this quality.  Out of several expensive mics tried, many times we end up with the Sm7 ... It seems to even out the effect that you mention.

Also I have noticed that my NT2000's are not too usable on female voices... maybe a Rode thing?  dunno

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

compasspnt

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:42:55 PM »

It's not "a thing" with the Classic II.

Barkley McKay

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:34:01 AM »

Just recorded a female singer with Rode NTK. Sounded great.

For the record, we tried a 414 and Nuemann M147 (which worked well on the double bass) which were not suitable in this instance as they both thinned out in the upper registers.

Barkley

rankus

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 20:42

It's not "a thing" with the Classic II.

Thanks for this Terry.  I have one of those on my wish list.  I understand the Dobson cd was done on one... sounds great!

Regarding the NT's on vocals... I find it really depends on the singer... either works well, or REALLY does not work..

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 17 queries.