R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re. Voiceover: Aphex 230 vs. Focusrite Liquid Channel?  (Read 2675 times)

Allan J T

Re. Voiceover: Aphex 230 vs. Focusrite Liquid Channel?
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »

Hi,

I'm a baritone male (with bass overtones) with some upcoming pure-voice projects (ranging from narration/audiobooks to hard-rock commercials) and am trying to grasp the merits of the above two preamps/processors.

Would you have an opinion/rationale regarding the advantages/disadvantages of these two units for my voiceover applications?  (If you also have a viewpoint regarding a matching mic, please feel free...)

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Kevin

J-Texas

Re: Re. Voiceover: Aphex 230 vs. Focusrite Liquid Channel?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 12:18:26 PM »

SM7 and Symetrix 528. Done.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Hallams

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »

The mic choice will be the most important factor. The Heil range of dynamic mics would be worth a try. Of the two pre amps you mention, I would go for the Liquid Channel for the fact that it has global recall of every parameter, assuming you like the way it is sonically. That would be a handy feature in your line of work.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:04:52 PM »

Hallams wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 07:30

The mic choice will be the most important factor.

Yes.

Absolutely.

The Heil range of dynamic mics would be worth a try.

Quite possibly...but I have no experience with them myself.

Of the two pre amps you mention, I would go for the Liquid Channel for the fact that it has global recall of every parameter, assuming you like the way it is sonically. That would be a handy feature in your line of work.

Here's where we disagree...

In this situation, I would suggest that parameter recall is almost the most useless thing in the world...as hopefully any changes in the sound are as a result of the voiceover talent changing their sound at source....ie: how it comes out of their mouth...

Either that, or the changes are a decision made in post...then you can recall the parameters from you digital console, or DAW.

I would suggest a good all-in-one channel strip box...or a good pre, and a good compressor of whatever flavour blows your skirt up.

HTH.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Hallams

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:03:24 AM »

Tim Halligan wrote on Fri, 25 July 2008 10:04

The mic choice will be the most important factor.

Yes.

Absolutely.

The Heil range of dynamic mics would be worth a try.

Quite possibly...but I have no experience with them myself.

Of the two pre amps you mention, I would go for the Liquid Channel for the fact that it has global recall of every parameter, assuming you like the way it is sonically. That would be a handy feature in your line of work.

Here's where we disagree...

In this situation, I would suggest that parameter recall is almost the most useless thing in the world...as hopefully any changes in the sound are as a result of the voiceover talent changing their sound at source....ie: how it comes out of their mouth...

Either that, or the changes are a decision made in post...then you can recall the parameters from you digital console, or DAW.

I would suggest a good all-in-one channel strip box...or a good pre, and a good compressor of whatever flavour blows your skirt up.

HTH.

Cheers,
Tim

Hi Tim.  My meaning was of the two preamps mentioned, for the recall to be handy feature for continuity once the voiceover artist has created the character as an identifiable sound, not to create the sound.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 18 queries.