R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini massive M7 and K47 test  (Read 32613 times)

Martin Kantola

Mini massive M7 and K47 test
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:10:19 PM »

Thought I'd do a little test with the following capsules on the same body and grille, and then share the sound files with you people:

- Neumann Berlin PVC M7
- Gefell PVC M7
- Thiersch rebuilt PVC M7
- Thiersch built PE M7
- Dale Ulan built PE M7
- Wagner rebuilt PE M7
- Thiersch rebuilt K47
- Neumann K47

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for the test. Any ideas welcome.

Martin

Markus Sauschlager

Re: Mini massive M7 and K47 test
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »

I usually start a mic comparison by speaking into or/and playing acoustic guitar through the mic while monitoring through headphones. Almost always those first impressions remain valid.
However, I never trust myself initially as I fear that certain expectations could possibly bias my findings. So I record music played back through a speaker, maintaining always the same capsule position. For that test I found it very revealing to use music of many different styles and instrumentation (only high quality recordings of course).

After matching levels and exactly aligning the takes I can really A/B them. I found that very helpful to objectively compare how different frequency ranges and transients are processed as I always hear the identical sound source through each mic. Although recording a speaker really is a compromise, this method usually gives me a quite good idea about the real world behaviour of a mic.

I can't wait to hear the results!

Markus
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »

In any test, repeatability is certainly important. (But) using a speaker as a source can be flawed in that that coloration of the speaker will work for or against the coloration in the mic.  
Custom drivers are used as calibration sources in mic testing but, IMO, are not as valuable in making subjective judgements.  

... With all the variables that surround mic testing - bodies, capsules, positioning, performance differences, it seems that mic evaluation is more an art than a science.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

Martin Kantola

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:25:53 AM »

Almost ready for the test, received a CD with nice live jazz from Sweden, sent by Schallfeldwebel, thanks! Also found a way to mount an acoustic guitar in a fixed position:
It's a wall stand from K&M. Will not be very comfortable to play...

Martin

Martin Kantola

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

Sorry for the long delay guys, but I'm finally about to get this test done. Have now prepared six original Neumann U47 heads with the six different M7 capsules mentioned. Decided to leave out the K47s from this round, because they are so different anyway, and also I did run out of available U47 heads...

Got the guitar stand/holder too, so next is matching the level differences. No point in trying to get the guitar in exactly the same spot if the levels are not matched.

Have also the speaker setup with the CD I got in the mail, and trying to figure out how I could get a bit of real human voice into the equation too.

Another question still bugging me is how well this will work with the guitar as the main source and recorded files. Found out in another test that mp3s are out of the question, comparing a cheap $2 electret mike to a trusty $2000 DPA 4006...

Sorry for taking so much time for preparations and thoughts, but it's pointless if it doesn't reveal anything useful in the end.
Martin

All set now as you can see. The guitar stays in place!

http://www.nordicaudiolabs.com/samples/guitarholder.jpg
http://www.nordicaudiolabs.com/samples/ghostguitar.jpg
http://www.nordicaudiolabs.com/samples/U47heads1.jpg
http://www.nordicaudiolabs.com/samples/U47heads2.jpg
http://www.nordicaudiolabs.com/samples/U47heads3.jpg

Martin

Martin Kantola

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:56:43 AM »

Klaus, I can't help feeling you threw out the baby with the bathwater while radically cleaning up this thread. IMHO, there were a lot of useful suggestions and helpful points from people in preparation for the test. And what's the rush anyway?

Martin  

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:39:49 PM »

Martin,
My main job in running this forum is to provide information and opportunities for inquiry on a level that a working professional can make time for.

Until I stepped in, we had in this thread four pages of posts but still haven't had a chance to hearing your tests.

Your idea of comparing many versions of the same type of capsule is wonderful.  But I let you know repeatedly that I thought we had digested enough of the preliminaries and that it was time for you to share the results.

I have no doubt that the now condensed version of the preliminaries will be appreciated when someone reads this thread in a year or two. Now we have plenty of space to discuss the actual test results.  I promise to let the exchanges flow, once you finally get around to posting sound files.

Best regards,
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Martin Kantola

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »

http://www.panphonic.com/M7/

has the first samples, recorded yesterday. All in 24bit/44.1kHz. Kept them short for easy download. Do you guys want to do some educated guessing first or should I post the details of each capsule used right away?

As I had hoped, the loudspeaker test proved useful for matching the levels by the nulling method (one sample polarity inverted). Listening to the results of nulling is also interesting, because it directly corresponds to the differences.

Martin

matti

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »

Thanks Martin!
Actually I would like to know the details now if its ok with others?

Best

Matti

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »

+1 Whenever you are ready!

Martin Kantola

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 03:13:56 PM »

OK, try reloading/refreshing the page now. You should be able to click to reveal the details.

Martin

matti

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:17 PM »

Thanks again, this was really interesting...
Last time I was in a studio with U 48 s they where out for
service, so I coudnt compare to mine

Matti

rodabod

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:00:23 PM »

That's great, Martin.

I'll hold back any comments until people have had a chance to listen blind.

May I ask what year/month you bought your Dale M7? Just wondering if it is an earlier or later revision.

Cheers,

Roddy
Roddy Bell

Martin Kantola

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »

March 2008. So impressed by what Dale is doing, if you guys haven't seen his website, check it out! As an example: http://www.10000cows.com/new_mic_photos.htm

Martin

kats

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

I only listened to the male voice and thought that capsule 3 stood shoulders above the others - a little more presence that added a bit more excitement. I'm sure the difference would be more than slight if I was there.
Tony K.
http://empirerecording.ca

Entertainment is a bore, communication is where it's at! - Brian Jones 1967
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.