R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Green" Acoustic Panels...  (Read 4985 times)

vegas4ever

"Green" Acoustic Panels...
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:53:42 AM »

Just a quick note to show my "green" acoustic panel project:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2002542&l=79e92&am p;id=1239907990

"Eagles may soar high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"
David Brent

el duderino

Re: "Green" Acoustic Panels...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

nice job. whats the cost per panel roughly?

vegas4ever

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

el duderino wrote on Wed, 07 May 2008 12:20

nice job. whats the cost per panel roughly?

About $15 a panel... yeah I was shock too!!
David Brent

el duderino

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

WOW! have you done any tests on them?

vegas4ever

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:19:35 PM »

2nite Ill post results
David Brent

Legacy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

Hey vegas,

Nice job.  I've worked with Thermafiber before (a lot) and while it has good acoustic properties it is not something I'd want to inhale at all.  As you noticed it's a major skin irritant.  While it may be environmentally better than fiberglass it's not very people friendly outside or inside Wink

It may be worth wrapping it completely in plastic before the muslin cloth just to prevent it from getting airborn in your studio.

-Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
www.legacysound.net

vegas4ever

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »

Legacy wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 14:57

Hey vegas,

Nice job.  I've worked with Thermafiber before (a lot) and while it has good acoustic properties it is not something I'd want to inhale at all.  As you noticed it's a major skin irritant.  While it may be environmentally better than fiberglass it's not very people friendly outside or inside Wink

It may be worth wrapping it completely in plastic before the muslin cloth just to prevent it from getting airborn in your studio.

-Silas

Thanks for the heads up, I actually contacted the company long before I made the panels for this exact reason, I wanted to be sure the air quality inside my house will not degraded by having this panels on the wall, they assure that it was safe material to be in the open, but they also stated that while moving/cutting the batts I wear respiratory equipment, they were so nice to send some literature about the safety and ecological test for there material. To make a long story short, they and I concluded that unless you’re moving/cutting the material there is little to none “airborne” fibers, mainly because when mineral wool it’s made (at least this product) they have to use a very sticky glue like substance to compress/bind the material. Again thank you for the concern, I just finish doing some preliminary test to see if particles are flying out this thing, so far so good, but I will keep you posted, I have a incredible sensitive throat for fibers…

Also I just finish my first mix, Im just wow of how much of a different this panels made, I was a little skeptical but the difference this has made has been huge, its like listening to mixes  for the first time. Clear HI, HI MID freq, the lows were not inpacted much, but due to the HI and HI mids clearing, now its much easier to feel anything below 60..
David Brent

Legacy

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

Hi Vegas,

Thanks - that's really good to know.  As you know its pretty unpleasant to work with but it's great that the particles don't get airborne with ease afterwards.  I went through about 20 bags of that stuff on two different room builds.  It does work nicely but I always felt like I had lost a mean fight with a cactus at the end of the day Wink

-Silas
Silas Brown
Legacy Sound
www.legacysound.net

Steve Hudson

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »

Legacy wrote on Fri, 09 May 2008 14:57

Hey vegas,

-Silas

If you wrap the panels in plastic, how will sound pass through it to be absorbed by the Thermafiber?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

gullfo

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:09:11 PM »

i would have thought a "green" absorber would have used recycled cotton or wood fiber insulation batts... thereby using recycled materials as well as with less irritating fibers...

wrapping the insulation with plastic prevents high-mid and high frequencies from being absorbed but doesn't do much to impede low frequency absorption - depending on the absorber type...
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

vegas4ever

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 11:08:01 PM »

gullfo wrote on Tue, 13 May 2008 13:09

i would have thought a "green" absorber would have used recycled cotton or wood fiber insulation batts... thereby using recycled materials as well as with less irritating fibers...

wrapping the insulation with plastic prevents high-mid and high frequencies from being absorbed but doesn't do much to impede low frequency absorption - depending on the absorber type...

what are wood fiber batts?
David Brent

gullfo

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »

wood fiber insulation board (WFIB) is more common in Europe than in the US (where recycled cotton like ultra logic are more readily available). cellulose insulation is a type of wood and paper fiber insulation which can be used in some situations - like in existing walls, ceilings, and sometimes in absorber cavities...

here's a cool link to natural insulation products including hemp, sheeps wool, cooton, wood fibre (fiber in US English Wink)
http://www.natural-building.co.uk/natural_insulations.htm
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

vegas4ever

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:27:07 PM »

gullfo wrote on Fri, 16 May 2008 13:14

wood fiber insulation board (WFIB) is more common in Europe than in the US (where recycled cotton like ultra logic are more readily available). cellulose insulation is a type of wood and paper fiber insulation which can be used in some situations - like in existing walls, ceilings, and sometimes in absorber cavities...

here's a cool link to natural insulation products including hemp, sheeps wool, cooton, wood fibre (fiber in US English Wink)
http://www.natural-building.co.uk/natural_insulations.htm

Thanks.
David Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.