R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $60,000 turntable  (Read 2594 times)

RSettee

$60,000 turntable
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

I write some articles here at PSF (as opposed to PSW)...not this one, but I always read the rest of the writers' stuff.

http://www.furious.com/Perfect/vinyl64.html

Surprisingly enough, that's chump change compared to what you can pay for high end audio equipment.

Barry Hufker

Re: $60,000 turntable
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:02:27 AM »

Yes there are items certainly more expensive than this.  And it doesn't seem to have the 30 other highly visible damping devices one often sees along with elaborate rubber belts.  Must really be a piece of junk...

Wink

mgod

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 12:19:13 AM »

So are you guys buying one?

I just fell in love with an old German upright priced in the upper $20-thousands. But a plywood bass will play the same notes.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 12:56:31 AM »

I'm buying two.  And an Antelope clock!  Then I'm on to the $23.5k ELAM 251 just sold on ebay....

RSettee

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 01:58:15 AM »

Bah, i'm buying the $125,000 turntable. THEN the music I listen to will be truly transcendent.

Brian Kehew

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 05:03:01 AM »

I bet it sounds good.
Relax and float downstream...

RMoore

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 05:29:55 AM »

Years ago I got a ('used') Garrard 401 TT, oak plinth, SME  tonearm, Goldring cartridge for about $600 - what a deal 2cnd hand considering the excellence of what you get. Compared it to a new LINN costing many times more in the local hifi shop & the Garrard killed it, I mean the difference was shocking..

Some time ago for a cheep 2cnd studio TT I picked up a Lenco L75 Goldring 'transcription' deck for about $100 - just for fun, I compared and felt I preferred the sound of rock, pop etc from the cheep Lenco (!)..

My advice - grab the Lenco and pocket $59,900

Garrard 401 pic (not my decks - pics gleaned from net):

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/sme_base2.jpg

Lenco L75

http://janbassez.googlepages.com/Volledig.Front.jpg/Volledig.Front-full.jpg
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

mgod

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 10:47:38 AM »

RSettee wrote on Sun, 04 May 2008 22:58

Bah, i'm buying the $125,000 turntable. THEN the music I listen to will be truly transcendent.

That's what I'm told. I'll be hearing it soon.

Jealousy is so unbecoming.

DS

RSettee

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 02:07:48 PM »

Haha, I don't think it's jealousy so much as a real brainboggler, but each to their own....i've got records in my collection that the $125,000 turntable would cost more than what those records cost to make, like all the SST punk, early Touch and Go records, and probably still 95 percent of what I listen to. For orchestras and really expensive records, I could see....but listening to punk and indie and obscurist albums are....you can only get so much out of those recordings, anyways. I'd be afraid that some of my favorite records would be ruined because it would be like putting a gigantic microscope on Gisele Bundchen...."OMG Gisele has a zit on her ass!" type thing. Everything would eventually be flawed, 'ya know? I've learned to accept some modicum of flawed listening rooms and flawed playback systems.

jetbase

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 08:03:32 AM »

I'm often involved in the shipping of concert & exhibition gear, including this particular turntable just recently. I was going to post something here at the time, but in the end couldn't be bothered. Thank God for audiophiles, they give us someone to visit when we want to listen to amazing sound.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

d gauss

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »

btw, these are starting to go up in price:   Very Happy

http://www.timewarptoys.com/closenplay1.jpg

amorris

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »

I wonder how they come to that price point? do they have to build some crystal on the space shuttle? are they paying themselves $450/ hour to do the work? do they only want to make 4 ever? or, more likely, do they just want to initial hype for their audiophile parties? last year some guy at the party was selling $10,000 speaker wires and these guys were pissed.

mgod

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »

d gauss wrote on Thu, 08 May 2008 05:44

Wow! The Kenner "Close 'n' Destroy" record player! I first heard "Strawberry Fields " and "Penny Lane" on one of these at my 5th grade girlfriend's house! Huge layers of white noise along with what remained of the music as it carved its way through your 7" single!

The biggest piece of the pricing of most products, and always the audiophile ones, goes to the dealer - usually 40-50%. Typical pricing is 5 to 1, suggesting the parts and labor costs of the thing is about $12,000. Add to that all the usual overhead - business infrastructure and marketing - and you get an idea of the profits involved per unit.

BTW, despite the all knowing cynicism of some here, pricing is perception, and that applies to everyone. When the first SWR amp was released at $700, very few sold and dealers warned Steve that it wouldn't sell unless he raised his price. He caved, raised it to $800 and off the shelves they flew. Everyone one of you has been either trained or are simply born with the idea that better is more expensive, and better doesn't sell for less.

DS

RSettee

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »

mgod wrote on Thu, 08 May 2008 10:04

d gauss wrote on Thu, 08 May 2008 05:44

Wow! The Kenner "Close 'n' Destroy" record player! I first heard "Strawberry Fields " and "Penny Lane" on one of these at my 5th grade girlfriend's house! Huge layers of white noise along with what remained of the music as it carved its way through your 7" single!

The biggest piece of the pricing of most products, and always the audiophile ones, goes to the dealer - usually 40-50%. Typical pricing is 5 to 1, suggesting the parts and labor costs of the thing is about $12,000. Add to that all the usual overhead - business infrastructure and marketing - and you get an idea of the profits involved per unit.

BTW, despite the all knowing cynicism of some here, pricing is perception, and that applies to everyone. When the first SWR amp was released at $700, very few sold and dealers warned Steve that it wouldn't sell unless he raised his price. He caved, raised it to $800 and off the shelves they flew. Everyone one of you has been either trained or are simply born with the idea that better is more expensive, and better doesn't sell for less.

DS

Close n' Destroy, hahaaa. True on the pricing perception. When I periodically sell my vintage gear or higher priced gear on EBay, I set the price high, or at least not a deal. I don't have to move it. The downside to pricing reasonable or cheap, is that then you have dirtbags taking advantage of that and then reselling it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.