R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adam S2A's Vs S3A's  (Read 5235 times)

acupunk

Adam S2A's Vs S3A's
« on: May 26, 2004, 02:50:19 am »

Are the Adam S3A's worth the extra money over the S2A's?
my room is about 12 by 14 feet.

matucha

Re: Adam S2A's Vs S3A's
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 05:13:25 am »

If you like less guessing about the bottom and "full" range speakers, you should get S3-A. Don't solve small room bass problems with buying smaller and bass lacking speakers. If you have problems with bass, get the bass traps.

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:29:52 am »

agreed on acoustics

it's not sexy, and it doesn't have shiny lights that make you smile.....but acoustics are absolutely CRUCIAL

i've worked in FAR too many rooms that look "right" and sound terrible.....they destroy your confidence and end up making you lose work because your mixes are just not right unless played in that room.

personally, i'd rather sacrifice gear purchases for 5 years to have good acoustics, then to keep buying gear to use.  it's simply a waste of money

fix the room FIRST!!!

then decide what monitors you like, and want, and possibly need.

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 10:41:59 am »

I totally agree on the acoustics... The s3as are absolutely magical, the clarity they give you is akin to glass, the kind that you don't know is there. I held off and saved for the S3as because I like having that lower octave, it's worth it. Our rooms are close to the same size and my Adams have made me a very happy dude. Although i agree with J. about the acoustics, the Adams have made my mixes translate better from the get go. I've been using my other pairs of monitors for 10 years. Originally i was thinking of buying a switcher to have 3 pairs for reference, the only reason I'm going to do it now is for freelancers. I haven't thought of double checking in months.

In a nutshell, don't skimp on the most important window to your audio (besides acoustics).
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:30:51 pm »

FWIW... I double and triple check on all kinds of reference speakers, but I do trust my S3-A's 110%.  Our room is very far away from "designed" [we have the capability to design a real room... we just don't feel like putting the money to build it into someone else's building]... the S3-A's translate here as well as in the other rooms in which I work [some of which are pretty good, some ain't... but the S3-A's seem to translate no matter where I go].

Best of luck with your search.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Carnac

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 12:52:57 pm »

The 3A's are a bit more power hungry and you may not enjoy burning the extra oil to hear the oomph in that region of audio. I personally feel the 2As represent that area fine for all kinds of music cepting rap I guess. And I may be clubbed like a baby seal for this but at times I use a Tannoy sub low passed at 80 and leave that on a separate line out. Adams are always full range and the sub just making a sound that blends in. I think it works, maybe it's a bad substitute for the 3A's but at least it's an alternative.
Cory

Stephen Fortner

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:09:08 pm »

I looked at both, and wound up with the S2A for budgetary reasons. My home studio is a small, oblong room that I've done some basic acoustic treatment to. I'm not lacking for bass, and my mixes are translating well. I don't have a sub, BTW.
Stephen Fortner
Contributing Editor, Keyboard Magazine

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own. They are not intended to reflect the opinions of any  publication or other organization with which I may be associated.

drew

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 01:03:56 pm »

now you've got the P33's to think about too.

Giovani gill

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 02:57:57 am »

El Mouldo wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 17:52

The 3A's are a bit more power hungry and you may not enjoy burning the extra oil to hear the oomph in that region of audio. I personally feel that the 2As represent that area fine for all kinds of music cepting rap I guess. And I may be clubbed like a baby seal for this but at times I use a Tannoy sub low passed at 80 and leave that on a separate line out. Adams are always full range and the sub just making a sound that blends in. I think it works, maybe it's a bad substitute for the 3A's but at least it's an alternative.

why not ...
the S3A are "joining" woofers, over the same S2A. woofer
your way may be better, a least an octave lower then the S3a

J.J. Blair

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 04:21:24 pm »

Interesting thread.  I was very fortunate to have found Brett Thoeny to design my room, so acoustics have never been an issue.  I love my 1031As, but I still find it necessary to listen from down the hall as the very last step to make sure that everything is sitting where I want it in the mix.  Listening in stereo can be deceiving, sometimes.  Genelecs have their shortcomings, but when I bought them 10 years ago, they were by far the best game in town.  

Thge comment about ears not getting fatigued intrigues me.  When I'm mixing rock music, I find that my ears get tired quickly.  I don't know how guys like Bob Rock mix at the levels they do.  It's brutal.  Reading what you guys have to say about the ADAMs has only made me more curious to demo a pair.  I've been seriously thinking about that for the last year.  Maybe one of you guys in Hollywood would like to bring your pair over for me to check out?  Smile  I'd hate to bum a pair from Westlake, only to wind up buying it cheaper from somebody else.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up