R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's Tax Time! Vent your spleen...  (Read 1039 times)

ktownson

It's Tax Time! Vent your spleen...
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »

A strange year for us...whereas we usually fluctuate between owing a few hundred dollars or getting a couple back, this year had some real wild cards.

We built a new house, got screwed by a contractor for tens of thousands, our daughter got pregnant with twins while her husband was medically unable to work. Short story: we cleaned out three IRAs to keep us all afloat. Neither my wife nor I are old enough to withdraw traditional IRAs without penalty, so we got creamed by the IRS.

The first tally of the 1040 was a shade under $10,000 in the hole. After some serious digging by an accountant, we discovered we could claim my daughter's children as dependents, since we had supported them while neither parent could work. Downside was that she would lose the (what wiseass named this?) earned income credit of $5500 she was eligible for since she couldn't work for the last few months of her pregnancy.

I had no idea our government paid you to have babies when you can't work. We eventually took the big tax hit, let her file for the EIC, and she gave us the check to offset the huge tax bill we owed.

So we're down to under $5k in the hole and strangely, feeling almost good about it. There's just a part of me that feels a little dirty taking advantage of the handouts I feel philosophically opposed to...I'm rationalizing by telling myself these are the kind of situations the EIC program and others like it were designed to alleviate.

And FWIW, our accountant wryly congratulated us on stepping into (hopefully briefly) the top 10% of taxpayers (by adjusted gross income) in the country. Somehow I thought it would feel better to be rubbing elbows with the wealthy...

"World Boogie is coming." James Luther Dickinson

Berolzheimer

Re: It's Tax Time! Vent your spleen...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:14:01 PM »

Funny, I was thinking of initiating a thread like this.
An unusual year for us too. Several little mistakes along the way, any of which would normally have been no big deal, and some unfortunate timing of paperwork coming through- subcontractor invoices that should have been 2007 but ended up having to be 2008- have resulted in our scrambling to pay a big tax bill where most years we get a refund.  The first phonecall my accountant said $15k and I nearly fell over, he's been able to rework it a bit down to around 6k.
The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/

grantis

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »

Berolzheimer wrote on Mon, 14 April 2008 14:14

Funny, I was thinking of initiating a thread like this.
An unusual year for us too. Several little mistakes along the way, any of which would normally have been no big deal, and some unfortunate timing of paperwork coming through- subcontractor invoices that should have been 2007 but ended up having to be 2008- have resulted in our scrambling to pay a big tax bill where most years we get a refund.  The first phonecall my accountant said $15k and I nearly fell over, he's been able to rework it a bit down to around 6k.

Wouldn't that mean that your '07 taxes were better than OK?
Grant Craig
Nuovo Music (Me)
Skiddco Music (Where I work)
Work History (Well, some of it anyway)

Berolzheimer

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:10:54 AM »

Do you mean 06, filed in 07?  I did get a refund, as 06 was kind of a low-income year.  But no tax year is OK when the biggest portion of what I do pay is going to fund an immoral war (redundant I know) and almost none of it is going towards making the world a better, smarter place.

The film sound side of my life:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0077235/

A bunch of songs I've recorded and/or mixed are here:
http://www.zget.me/billionaires/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.