R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoking in the studio...  (Read 7741 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Smoking in the studio...
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

Smoke will go straight to stuff that holds a charge, IIRC.  Capacitors, condenser capsules, etc.  Screw your health, that gear is irreplaceable.   Rolling Eyes
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

jetbase

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »

Wouldn't it be illegal to smoke indoors in a workplace in Australia now? I wonder if that law extends to the lounge as well.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Greg Dixon

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »

I think that's why they don't ask anymore. They don't even try to smoke in the lounge either. Mind you there are great views outside the studio and we have some pews out there, so unless it's raining, it's a great spot for a break.

Jay Kadis

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »

One nice thing about living in the SF bay area is that practically no one expects to smoke indoors anymore.  The bass player I'm working with at the moment can't quite make it through a whole session, but he smokes outside and takes the butts home with him.  I'm glad I quit long ago.

jetbase

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 07:19:19 PM »

Greg Dixon wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 09:03

I think that's why they don't ask anymore. They don't even try to smoke in the lounge either. Mind you there are great views outside the studio and we have some pews out there, so unless it's raining, it's a great spot for a break.

I just checked your website, nice views indeed. Can I get a job there? Perhaps I could be the official explorer of the ancient rainforest.  Smile
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

Greg Dixon

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »

jetbase wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 09:19

Greg Dixon wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 09:03

I just checked your website, nice views indeed. Can I get a job there? Perhaps I could be the official explorer of the ancient rainforest.  Smile

No problem..... as long as the views and excitement of discovery are payment enough.... Rolling Eyes

MagnetoSound

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 23:51

Screw your health, that gear is irreplaceable.   Rolling Eyes

Six of one and half-a-dozen of the other.

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Ryan Massey

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 08:02:06 PM »

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 16:14

One nice thing about living in the SF bay area is that practically no one expects to smoke indoors anymore.

This is very true.  Even better (for me) is how normal it has become in many, if not most states, for smoking to be banned at shows.  Smoky venues really kill my voice and I feel like hell after exercising for an hour in a room full of tobacco smoke.  

I am in the rehearsal business as well as recording, and we don't allow smoking anywhere inside of the building, or directly out front of the building.  I'm sure it bugs a few people, but better them than the rest of us.
   =www.sharkbitestudios.com=

Edvaard

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »

"sticks to capacitors, condenser capsules,...",     hmm....

Well, now, FINALLY we can answer the question of why the Beatles albums sounded differently as they progressed, even though essentially the same mics, equipment, same space, etc.

They changed brand of fags from one album to the next.

smj

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 09:45:02 AM »

My wife and I recently bought a house which was previously owned by smokers.  We thought it would be work... but we didn't know it would be that much work to get rid of it.  All carpets thrown out, EVERY wall had to be bleached/tsp'd (which would get the tar ooozing off of it in big yellow streeks), primed and painted. All wall paper had to be removed.  The ceiling tile in the basement thrown out and replaced.

Everyone who comes over now can't smell any traces of it.

We thought about renting an ozone machine... but never did.  I'm told they work great though if you get one strong enough.  You want to leave the house while it's running though.  Apparently they will take the smoke off anything and there won't be any traces of it left.

Sean Meredithjones
http://www.seanmeredithjones.com

Don Ciccio

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

Ryan Massey wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 20:02

Jay Kadis wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 16:14

One nice thing about living in the SF bay area is that practically no one expects to smoke indoors anymore.

This is very true.  Even better (for me) is how normal it has become in many, if not most states, for smoking to be banned at shows.  Smoky venues really kill my voice and I feel like hell after exercising for an hour in a room full of tobacco smoke.  

yeah, but that doesn't usually apply to the artist. i remember when the stones did a show at the garden for 9/11 and keith richards was smoking onstage. the mayor.....mike bloomberg called down and wanted the cops to tell him to put out the cig or get off the stage. the show was to raise money for the firemen and cops widows so of course the mayor was completely ignored Smile i had a studio in manhattan, for clients to go outside to smoke would mean a 15 to 20 minute break to take the elevators down, go outside, smoke and come back up....kind of ruining the momentum. i allowed in the studio and the lounge, just not in the control room, that seemed like a fair compromise. they were paying my rates and my rent and i wanted them to be as comfortable as possible as to be as creative as possible. i always burned incense and candles anyway.

frank

Brian Kehew

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 07:21:06 PM »

I had a session with a big (smoking) producer booked and the first day in, the studio said "We just rebuilt our console and you can't smoke in here". The producer said - "no smoking at all? Then I'm done here." As he has a history in studios - and EVERYONE smoked all the time (just look at old Sinatra or Beatles or ? photos) it's not considered so unusual to some people to smoke indoors.

They couldn't figure out what to do - maybe cancel two weeks' bookings and start over elsewhere... I told them runner to go get a  "smokeless" filtered ashtray and ionizer right away. We set up a corner of the control room for him to smoke.

If he insisted on smoking, they would compromise and he would compromise; he'd blow it only into the filter and only leave the cigarette on the filtered ashtray (it has a fan and a filter). He could only smoke in that one place indoors. We got work done and no one smelled or reeked of smoke.

(I don't smoke, never have, never will but I live in a city where the air is like smoking) FWIW - I think human skin and dust are as or more damaging to gear, my house and studio fill with the stuff and no one smokes ever.
Relax and float downstream...

Don Ciccio

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »

human skin? eeewwww!!!!!! LOL

i remember people doing rails of blow on the console and rolling joints as well all that shit got inside the faders. i once had a client spill a cup of tea with sugar watched my board go up in flames. and please, let's not forget how many speakers have been blown by clients and visiting engineers. it's always an adventure but i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

frank

Samc

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 06:05:28 AM »

Hmm....just wondering, if smoking is so bad for gear as some here have indicated, how come we still have so much old/vintage gear that works?  Most of this equipment was in service during the golden age of smoking in the studio.

Not saying that over time; constant exposure to cigarette smoke might not have some effect on the equipment, but..............
Sam Clayton

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2008, 12:28:12 AM »

I'm just old school enough that in my book, when a client rents a studio, it must become THEIR studio and they must never be allowed to feel like they are only a guest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.