R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Fascinating explanation of the human need for god  (Read 19292 times)

bruno putzeys

Re: Fascinating explanation of the human need for god
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »

studiojimi wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 18:13

and quess who will have the last word?

Usually the one with most time on his hands, rarely the one who's right because they've got better things to do.
Warp Drive. Tractor Beam. Room Correction. Whatever.

Affiliations: Hypex, Grimm Audio.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

Only people have body, spirit and soul. We are made in God's image ....

And that, right there, is why I have a problem with it.

Implicit in that is man's permission to subjugate and exploit animal-kind as he sees fit.

That's not very godly if you ask me.

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

studiojimi

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:35:10 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 09:26

Dan

i don't see where anyone did.
CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 07:01:10 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 11:26

Only people have body, spirit and soul. We are made in God's image ....

And that, right there, is why I have a problem with it.

Implicit in that is man's permission to subjugate and exploit animal-kind as he sees fit.

Dan

In Genesis, God gives Mankind the governance and stewardship of the world.  Why is it God's fault that people have screwed things up?

MagnetoSound

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 07:30:19 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 00:01

Why is it God's fault that people have screwed things up?

Barry,

Where did I say that?

I said that we were not particularly godly. At least, no more godly than the animal kingdom.

You shouldn't get the impression that I don't believe in God, by the way. Though I suspect that we may define it differently.

I think it is arrogant of mankind to say that 'He' made us in 'his' image. By and large, I don't think we behave particularly better, in moral terms, than any other creature.

That is just my opinion. We are all entitled to have one. Smile

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

mgod

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 09:06

mgod wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 16:58

are Freud or Jung scientifically valid?

Nope. Took generations of scientists to undo the damage.

Well...maybe. Also took generations of scientists to give pharma the ammunition to drug generations of people into a stupor, scientist and non. Who will undo that damage? I'm not sure we're better off without Freud and Jung.

DS

PS - I'm aware that this is more religious dogma, but the notion that animals are soulless is just ridiculous. I realize it makes things easy. The same excuse was used to justify , oh, slavery, genocide, etc., etc., etc. Gotta love that christian love!
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Hallams

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »

Here are a few little statements i thought up while walking the streets of Melbourne as  a pastoral youth worker in the 80's,one of the best jobs i ever had by the way.

" The ways of science encompass finite reality. The ways of God encompass infinite reality,in which finite reality gains it's proper perspective."

" Accusations, more often than not, reveal more about the accuser than the accused."

And a third:

"False assumptions pave the way to prejudice"

I'm sure it is everyones desire that these discussions are productive and informative. They are an opportunity to develop communication skills, and like any skill some are better at it than others.

How do we know the nuance of another's belief system by mere typed words alone? We find it hard enough to describe the nuance of our favorite pre amp.

I believe in God, but it would take a close relationship with me, over time, for any of you to know what that really means for me.

Likewise for any other person who takes their own possition on such matters.

So let us go forth and communicate!

Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

danickstr

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »

Bruno Putzeys wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 12:24

studiojimi wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 18:13

and quess who will have the last word?

Usually the one with most time on his hands, rarely the one who's right because they've got better things to do.

LMAO

This guy's approach is valid to me, and I guess that is where my faith comes in.   Rolling Eyes
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 08:58:01 PM »

MagnetoSound wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 18:30

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 18 April 2008 00:01

Why is it God's fault that people have screwed things up?

Barry,

Where did I say that?

I said that we were not particularly godly. At least, no more godly than the animal kingdom.

You shouldn't get the impression that I don't believe in God, by the way. Though I suspect that we may define it differently.

I think it is arrogant of mankind to say that 'He' made us in 'his' image. By and large, I don't think we behave particularly better, in moral terms, than any other creature.

That is just my opinion. We are all entitled to have one. Smile

Dan

Dan I'm sorry if I said or implied you're not entitled to an opinion.  I know there's a smilie but I want to state that.

I took the phrase "exploit" negatively as tho' Man was abusing animals.  I'm sorry if I didn't get that.

And Mankind didn't say God made us in his image.  GOD said he made us in his image.  It wouldn't be nice to disrespect what God says....  Very Happy

mgod

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 09:24:49 PM »

Assuming one buys that. Sounds like typical human-centric arrogance to me, devised in a self-serving manner to make brutality as convenient as possible.

God, such as it is, speaks to us in other ways too, not just the writings that some, most definitely not all, believe to be the end-all word. I think the biblical instruction means to take care of the world, all of it, not consume it.

As in the other thread, I find myself increasingly creeped out by the tendency for folks to lay down absolutes, in a forum in which people of many paths and nations gather. Just sayin', y'know...

BTW, didja know America is the greatest nation in the world? Ever? Absolutely?! How do I know? Well, I live here!

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

maxim

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »

dog thinks therefore it is...

bruno,

while the electrochemical interactions within our central nervous system are under the same conditions as everything else in this universe, psychodynamics do not follow newtonian laws directly

eg, while every action has a reaction, it is not necessarily equal OR opposite

we have freud to thank for one of the great insights of the 20th century (imo, up there with einstein's mass=energy one)

our consciousness has layers

great insights should appear intuitively correct

the idea of a "subconscious" appears so intuitive, you'd wonder why noone ever thought of it before

but noone did...

maxim

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »

man creates god in his image

woman in hers...

Barry Hufker

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:53 PM »

Dan, I'm not sure I understand what "that" is.  As in "assuming one buys that".  Would you clarify?

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »

maxim wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 20:40

man creates god in his image

woman in hers...

I knew a boy in high school, he was the first boy I ever dated.  And he confided in me that he was convinced God was a woman, because to his mind only a woman could be as cruel as God is.  I don't think I have ever stopped being deeply hurt by that, to this day.  

Jessica

danickstr

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 11:24:12 PM »

I think that boy had a bad mom or something.  I have been searching for cruel women all my life and cannot seem to find them Very Happy
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.