R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: who's the best vinyl mastering engineer?  (Read 8680 times)

breathe

who's the best vinyl mastering engineer?
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »

In my circles it is commonly understood that Abbey Road does the best vinyl mastering.  In America, I'd say Greg Calbi is great, haven't heard Bob Ludwig's discs, and Roger Seibel is really great.  Kevin Gray (RTI) has maybe the best cutting system but I'm undecided on his Sontec EQ.  The Golden family are amazing, extremely generous people, but for some reason every single thing I've heard of theirs (including my own work), vinyl or CD, sounds exactly the same and with not very much transient response or dynamics.

I feel like Andre 3000 singing about wanting to find a classy girl.  Who's the shit for vinyl mastering in the US?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I thought you guys would have an opinion on where you send your work.

Nicholas

TotalSonic

Re: who's the best vinyl mastering engineer?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:25 PM »

fwiw - Bob Ludwig no longer has a lathe in his studio.  He's used folks like Stan Ricker, Don Grossinger, and once even myself (although I don't currently have a lathe either) in the last few years to do his cutting for him.

As far as who is "best" - to me it depends on what you are looking for.  There's tons of great vinyl mastering engineers out there and many can do great work for you - each will do slightly different approach.  

If we're talking dance cuts at very hot levels then I've usually been very impressed with the work of Nilz Patel at The Exchange in London - http://www.exchangemastering.co.uk/ , and Shane McEnhill at Heathmans - http://www.heathmans.co.uk/shane.html

In the USA a lot of the best folks aren't really actively cutting anymore (i.e. Herbie Powers Jr.) - but Tony Dawsey and Paul Gold are a couple people I think do great work here in NYC.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

imdrecordings

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 05:34:05 PM »

Quote:

In the USA a lot of the best folks aren't really actively cutting anymore
SAys you! Razz
Here are three that I know of in the US.

Paul Gold - Salt Mastering in NY
Roger Siebel - SAE Mastering in AZ
JJ Golden - Golden Mastering in CA
-Scott S

brett

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »

find out who release records in canada uses. the tracks I bought were pretty good. some of the cuts didn't work well but they were just getting going then and I think the tracks were comming form a already limited digital source. their latter realeases sounded pretty good.

amorris

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »

Hey thanks for those names. Does anyone know a good source for info on lathe setup and operation? my buddy has a lathe but we are hesitant to mess it up.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15:24 AM »

I recently Spoke with Paul Gold.  That is who I would try,  Magneto Mastering Gave an favorable and compelling reference.

www.saltmastering.com

TotalSonic

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 12:15:11 PM »

amorris wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 09:39

Hey thanks for those names. Does anyone know a good source for info on lathe setup and operation? my buddy has a lathe but we are hesitant to mess it up.

Absolutely the best person for this in the USA is Al Grundy.  You can PM me at steve at totalsonic dot net for his contact info.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Fletcher

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:21:37 AM »

I haven't had vinyl done in a really long time... but Tony Dawsey up at Masterdisk [45th St. NYC] did some of the best work I can remember having done.  Can't say he's the best... but he's probably who I would book if I were going to have some vinyl cut.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

JGreenslade

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:32:36 AM »

In the UK, as well as Nilz and Mike @ The Exchange, there's also John Dent @ Loud Mastering. Try a search - Dent's been mentioned at PSW before with regards to the quality of his work.

If cost is no object, there's always Bernie Grundman (a favourite of mine I must say).

Next time I'm involved in a project for vinyl, I may well try Paul Gold.

Justin
Audio is a vocational affliction

"there is no "homeopathic" effect in bits and bytes." - HansP

mgod

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »

Bernie Grundman will still do vinyl, and his lathe is driven by extremely good tube amps derived from Contemporary Records, where he trained in the 60s under Roy DuNann and Les Koenig.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Tim Padrick

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »

Fletcher

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 07:34:40 AM »

Does Ted Jensen still cut vinyl up at Sterling?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Alan Meyerson

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:37 PM »

Definitely Grundman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.