R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?  (Read 72071 times)

Alan Meyerson

Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?
« on: April 04, 2008, 02:14:56 AM »

Anyone out there making decent capsules?
I'm looking to augment my collection with another tree option.

Right now I change between my M150's and my (amazing) VM1 KHE's for the Tree, depending on the style and size of the orchestra. Sometimes I wish I had a third option. I tried Senn MKH800's/80"S. Also B&K 4006's. All good, but not the business.

I'd love to investigate having some real basic custom mics built without all the "vintage" casings and PS's. For example, Doug Sax/Mastering Labs made these C-12-like mics a while back where they put all the money into the capsule and the electronics and didn't care about the cosmetics. They were some of the best mics I ever used.

That's what I'd like to investigate. Just great components without all the fancy cosmetics.
Any thoughts?

J.J. Blair

Re: augmenting my M150's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 02:24:54 AM »

Alan, are you curious to try the Wunder M50s by any chance?  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 11:31:46 AM »

I believe the answer to be Sonodore RCM-402s.  They are wonderful microphones, extremely omni (but with interchangeable frequency response grilles)and sound incredible.  I highly suggest you try a pair or trio.  You can get a demo I'm sure through the importer, TransAudio Group (www.transaudiogroup.com).

I own the first pair sold into the U.S. and have enjoyed them for years.  I use them on everything I can.

Alan Meyerson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

Hi Barry,
I actually have the demo coming from Wunder now.
I'll tell you more when I get it.
AM

Alan Meyerson

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Fri, 04 April 2008 16:31

I believe the answer to be Sonodore RCM-402s.  

Brad Lunde (Transaudio Group) been trying to get me to try it.
Maybe I will.
Thanks for the advice

J.J. Blair

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »

Alan, I actually asked you about the Wunder.  I take it you have a real one to compare with?
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Alan Meyerson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

Sorry J.J.,

I DO have a real one, although I'm not that concerned with it matching an original M50.

I'm looking for a new option.
It's coming either today or tomorrow.

I'll let you know what happens

Daniel_Dettwiler

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »

I would be interessted in your thoughs about the wunder cm50 as well, Alan. Also if you find other solution's for Decca that are interessting.

My thoughs on omnis for orchestra, as far as I have experience...:
Although  I mostly do Jazz Recordings, I have to record Orchestras from time to time, mostly for Soundtracks. I have experience's with Original M50, M150, and DPA 4006 on the Three.

With the M50 it depends extremly in what shape they are and what services have been done to them. While I have been extremly pleased with them in a session in Abbey Road I have been disapointed with them in another Studio. As it shows later , they have been serviced by neumann, and have been transitorized!

With the M150 I had a session recently in Munich and I was really not disappointed. Fine Mics. They provided the typical large, warm but also silky sound I want for Filmmusic.

The DPA 4006 are not really providing the sound I am looking for, when I record an orchestra for a Film-Score. Too clasical sounding maybe?

Daniel
www.ideeundklang.com
------------------
Daniel Dettwiler
www.ideeundklang.com
www.volkshausstudio.com

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 07:31:52 AM »

Daniel Dettweiler wrote:"The DPA 4006 are not really providing the sound I am looking for, when I record an orchestra for a Film-Score. Too clasical sounding maybe?"

If you use the 4006, you must put on the APE's to make them sound like the (TL)M(1)50. Once I got serious problems with my TLM50's and replaced them during orchestra recordings with a set of 4006 +APE's, and no one seemed to have heard a difference.

People speak about a the typical M50 sound, but infact there are two M50 sounds; the one with the aluminum capsule and the later one with the KM83 Mylar capsule. I do believe Wunder makes the KK83-style version.

If you do not have so many pennies, it is worth to try the poormen's M50, the KM130 + 4cm sphere. It might be even worth to try that sphere on the old KM83.  

Erik Sikkema
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

ratite

Re: Alternatives To Neumann M150's For DECCA Tree?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 08:36:56 AM »

A very cheap option would be Sage Electronics Bova Balls which would give you the omni in a sphere.
Maybe Brauner VMA's in 'vintage' mode, Gefell UM930's which I'm keen to hear. If not DECCA then you could try the Soundfield or 5.1/7.1 holophones (I think that's what they're called?).
It might be worth seeing how much David Josephson would charge to do a custom mic assuming he has time.
Richard Horner
Unaffiliated knob twiddler.

"Nietzsche played the piano endlessly in his eleven years of madness.Once,at least,with his elbows."

J.J. Blair

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »

Wunder is using aluminum capsules in their M50 types.
studio info

Barry Hufker

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »

The Wunder mics are actually made by Flea (who also makes the M49).  If you visit Flea's website the capsules sure don't look aluminum but I'm not privy to the dealings between Wunder and Flea.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

Barry, the Wunder bodies are made by FLEA.  Same bodies used by Telefunken-USA.  Based on seeing the inside of their U47s, I doubt that FLEA is building the mics for them.  

At AES, Mike Castoro told me himself that they (Wunder) are using aluminum diaphragms on their M50 clones.  I don't know who is making them for him.  
studio info

Alan Meyerson

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 07:18:14 PM »

Do you say "based on seeing the inside of their 47s" as a bad thing or a good thing?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »

On the one hand, Alan wanted input on alternatives to his current setup. This is enticing to some to throw out some names of mics without having actually tried the ones that are mentioned or recommended.

I encourage you to keep hearsay (see Ground Rules) like that to a minimum because it does not advance knowledge among us the same way that actual experience with any of these mics would.

Thanks,
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 16 queries.