R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoovervilles in L.A. County  (Read 1851 times)

cerberus

Hoovervilles in L.A. County
« on: March 22, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »

studiojimi

Re: Hoovervilles in L.A. County
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Barry Hufker

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:38:44 PM »

Truly America's shame before the world.  I don't believe anything like this has happened (because of the economy) since the Great Depression.  Unless you're counting our government's lack of response to New Orleans after Katrina.

mjgreeneaudio

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 22 March 2008 14:38

Truly America's shame before the world.  I don't believe anything like this has happened (because of the economy) since the Great Depression.  Unless you're counting our government's lack of response to New Orleans after Katrina.

Someone explain to me why I have to log onto a forum, and watch a Youtube video of a BBC broadcast?  Why in the hell is this not all over CNN and all the mainstream media?  Have we just decided that if we bury our heads this will all go away?  We are screwed if we can't get enraged about this.  I am pissed and I don't know what to do.  Why isn't this a major news story?

Oh I forgot.  Britney and J Lo's babies are much more important than poverty!!!  

Give me a fucking break!!!

Michael Greene

mgod

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

They used to be downtown but were forced out by the LAPD. I wondered where they'd gone.

DS
"There IS no Coolometer." - Larry Janus

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 11:16:59 AM »

An awful solution to the homeless problem: be homeless somewhere else.

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »

What makes me surprised,

Is not so much that we do not see this in the United States of America, as censorship has been a part and parcel of our media since Vietnam.

But that no one seems to care anymore. About what is going to happen in the near future.

Here's the part all American citizens should be REALLY pissed off about, ready for it? Here it is :

WE TAXPAYERS WILL BAIL OUT THE BANKS THAT SCREWED THESE PEOPLE. But not these people. Oh no, they get to be homeless, and get no help. The Banks will get all the help from Congress that they don't really need. Yay!

"Viva el Sistema Capitalista"

That, is the thought of the week.
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

Nick Sevilla

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »

mjgreeneaudio wrote on Sun, 23 March 2008 10:42

Barry Hufker wrote on Sat, 22 March 2008 14:38

Someone explain to me why I have to log onto a forum, and watch a Youtube video of a BBC broadcast?  Why in the hell is this not all over CNN and all the mainstream media?  Have we just decided that if we bury our heads this will all go away?  We are screwed if we can't get enraged about this.  I am pissed and I don't know what to do.  Why isn't this a major news story?

Oh I forgot.  Britney and J Lo's babies are much more important than poverty!!!  

Give me a fucking break!!!

Michael Greene

I feel the same way.

Media has been censored very well in the USA since the last part of the Vietnam War. We won't be allowed to see "truth" anymore, since truth is dangerous to those in power. This is a lesson the powers that are learned then. they won't let that happen anymore.

Have a nice day.
-------------------------------------------------
It is quite possible, captain, that they find us grotesque and ugly and many people fear beings different from themselves.

www.nicksevilla.com

rphilbeck

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »

This isn't the Great Depression.  We have GDP growth of over 2%, only 4.5% unemployment and only 12% of our nation living below poverty.  The avg. wage in this country is $17 an hour.  "Hooverville" isn't the appropriate term, and really takes away from the suffering during an era when the situation was really outside of the individual's control.  

Keep in mind there are 4 economies.  Global, National, State & Local, and your own Personal Economy.  Your own personal economy is not always a reflection of the other 3 as hard as that seems to believe.  

I watch this video and wonder what series of stupid decisions one idiot would have to make to end up in a tent in the same land of opportunity that people are risking life and limb to steal their way into every day?  

Jay Kadis

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »

Many of the homeless have mental and addiction problems.  We used to have institutions to treat them, but those have largely been eliminated from state and local budgets.  There is a growing separation between low and high income populations, so in a way it is correct that the problem is limited to certain segments of society, but that does not make it less important to find a solution.

bblackwood

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »

RPhilbeck wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 11:32

This isn't the Great Depression.  We have GDP growth of over 2%, only 4.5% unemployment and only 12% of our nation living below poverty.  The avg. wage in this country is $17 an hour.  "Hooverville" isn't the appropriate term, and really takes away from the suffering during an era when the situation was really outside of the individual's control.  

Keep in mind there are 4 economies.  Global, National, State & Local, and your own Personal Economy.  Your own personal economy is not always a reflection of the other 3 as hard as that seems to believe.  

I watch this video and wonder what series of stupid decisions one idiot would have to make to end up in a tent in the same land of opportunity that people are risking life and limb to steal their way into every day?  

"Nationally, home foreclosures are up as the subprime lending market continues to struggle -- with 223,000 reported last month, compared with less than 140,000 in February 2007.

U.S. employers have cut 85,000 jobs so far this year -- the most in four years -- according to the U.S. Labor Department."
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

John Ivan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 02:40:19 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 14:05

RPhilbeck wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 11:32

"Nationally, home foreclosures are up as the subprime lending market continues to struggle -- with 223,000 reported last month, compared with less than 140,000 in February 2007.

U.S. employers have cut 85,000 jobs so far this year -- the most in four years -- according to the U.S. Labor Department."

Yes. And it is very likely to continue for at least another year.

Ivan...................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

cerberus

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »

RPhilbeck wrote on Thu, 27 March 2008 12:32

i did not mean to malign those who were victimized by the great depression.
however, the term "hooverville" seems to describe the attributes of the
situation. there is even a well publicized major investment bank
failure. when was the last time that happened?

if one is familiar with the famous "milgram experiment", then they know how easy it
is to get an average person to subvert and suspend their own capacity for
judgement in deference to any recognized authority.

yet even assuming that the homeless debtors are idiots. which
idiots lent so many of those idiots that kind of money?

and also, i guess that one's idea of prosperity may be different.
if the price of food and fuel double, as they have over the
last seven years, that is like a regressive tax, one
would have to be an idiot not to see that. but
as long as housing prices fall, i don't see
any inflation. do you see any inflation?

jeff dinces
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.