Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: depth  (Read 5767 times)

j.hall

Re: depth
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »

marcel wrote on Wed, 13 August 2008 16:57

Possibly not all that helpful to you given that mixing things others have tracked seems to be your bread and butter(?)  That's why I suggested some sort of hybrid solution.

i'm not 100% convinced that PT can't hang.  and i know this particular session has it's own issues.

i think the mixes are good, i'm just wanting more.  and i'm exploring what exactly that is, and what it means.

iCombs

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

It's a sticky sort of question, though.

I think that what you're seeing is the cumulative effects of prosumer.  Weakish preamps and weakish conversion meet decent (not great) tracking and PRESTO!...instant nothing!

The maintaining depth thing SEEMS (at least in my reality) to come from quality conversion and quality preamplification.  When I had my converters modded (MOTU 896HD), I was stunned at how much easier it became to mix...almost immediately.  All the spaces I had to place stuff felt like they were bigger and more forgiving...and since then my tracking chops have improved and I feel like my stuff is starting to sound like real recordings and not so "prosumer."

Granted, I'm probably not going to be 100% happy with the analog side of my chain until I've got all my Quad 8 built out (2 strips coming back as I type...EEEEEEEEEE *screams like an American Girl circa 1964 at the Beatles) and have Apogees or Myteks or SOMETHING like that.

At any rate...it seems to me that the MAJORITY of that stuff gets lost at the front end, and there isn't a lot to be done at the back end to regain that sense of depth because it's more than just reflective cues that get lost.  The transient information that gets lost or garbled between the pres and the converters just seems to flatten things out in a way that isn't awesome.  There are times where I try to embrace that as a sound...which is hard to do...but the other thing I try to keep in mind is that for the most part, as a mixer, it takes a little magic to transcend the quality of the tracks you've been handed.

Not that it isn't worth exploring...just the thing I tell myself when I'm frustrated with difficult tracks.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

J-Texas

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »

This discussion kind of reminds me of listening to Chris Cornell's "Euphoria Morning".
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

iCombs

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 14:28

This discussion kind of reminds me of listening to Chris Cornell's "Euphoria Morning".

Yes...yes it does.

I thought I was the only person who HAD that album.  Some really great songs on there...totally copped a Jeff Buckley thing but was always WAY dirtier about it.

Always thought that was a rough sounding album...but I really liked it.
Ian Combs
Producer/Engineer
Lightspeed Group, Inc.
----------------------
"Mista apareeatah... can I have maar beass at all frequencies?"

marcel

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 12:28

Never heard it.

Can you enlighten me as to how it relates?
Best, Marcel

J-Texas

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:02 PM »

marcel wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 15:33

J-Texas wrote on Thu, 14 August 2008 12:28

Never heard it.

Can you enlighten me as to how it relates?

Check out a couple of the tracks. It sounds as though there are great musicians in a cool sounding room with good mics... recording into the 1/8" mini plug mic jack on a laptop into ProTools.

It sounds 'bout as flat as a pancake and very lifeless.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.