R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rant: Any have experience with Vince from Audioproz.com?  (Read 15217 times)

Bivouac

Rant: Any have experience with Vince from Audioproz.com?
« on: May 20, 2004, 09:08:22 PM »

First off, I am a lurker here because I learn so much about recording on an everyday basis.  I don't post because I really have nothing to offer...

I am a college student (not in a "recording program") and musician.  I love recording and have tried to read about it everyday in hopes of being able to properly do some of my own one day.  

Well, I'm trying to take a big step in my recording hobby by purchasing my first multichannel setup.  So far (last 4 years or so...) I've been using a stereo setup and have put a bunch of emphasis on technique and creative mixing.

I want to create a mobile recording rig with a laptop I already own.  I hope to be able to create passable demos at the conveniences of bands and record ideas of my own material.  I was looking at 8 channel computer interfaces and a rackmountable "channel strip" type deal like a Joe Meek VC6Q to get me started.  Obviously I'm not looking to create proper studio recordings with such equipment...I like sounds that are interesting and have unique qualities (so I'm looking at "colored" pres)

So, I'm trying to hunt down a VC6Q (now discontinued) and am not having much success.  So I've started calling companies out of town to see what I can find.  After a lot of "googling" I find this online company called "Audioproz.com" that claims to have a few.  I call them up (long distance...) and explain to the man (Vince) my situation--making it very clear what I intend to do with my setup.  I ask him about the availability of that product and he says he has a few (new and used) and asks me what I'm looking to pay.  I tell him about prices I've seen units go for in the last 6 months and he tells he couldn't let anything of his go for less than hundreds more than what I had seen.

AT THE SAME TIME, he's telling me how mediocre Joe Meek Products are for the money!  Ok, so I ask what he would recommend over it at the same pricepoint and with the same features.  He asks about what I already own and what I intend to buy and before I can finish the word "Laptop" and "interface", he goes off on a lecture for 56 min. about his entire recording philosophy and how terrible and incompetant computers are for recording.  56 min.--this man loves to hear himself talk.  I wish I were the type of person that could tell him to shut up or just end the phone call, but he has a product that I want to own!  Why can't salespeople just put recording needs in PERSPECTIVE!  WITH MY BUDGET AND MY NEEDS, I DON'T NEED TO BE HEARING ALL OF THIS!

Now, you might ask why I posted here.  Well, I know Mr. Fletcher has had some close ties with Joe Meek products and both Mercenary and this company are located in Massachussettes.  He didn't speak very highly of a lot of things held in high regard around here (and justified each statement by saying how great behringer,and Samson products were...)

Should I be wary of this man/company?  What are good pro audio stores to deal with (my home state of Colorado contains none!)?

I apologize for littering your forum with my nonesense; thank you for any help I might recieve...    

John Ivan

Re: Rant: Any have experience with Vince from Audioproz.com?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:59:50 AM »

I'm sorry, Who was saying how great BEAR-RINGER and Samson products are? If it was the guy you talked to on the phone, I would suggest talking to some other folks.  The Meek stuff is sort of hit or miss but, They make high quality products and wether you like them or not is a matter of taste. I would love to hear what else he was doggin' gear wise. I have never talked with him and can't say if I would do biz with him or not. I'll go to the site and look around. I personally recommend that you try to buy the best stuff you can the first time. Look at each purchase in the long term view. If you buy nice stuff now, You wont out grow it.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Ivan

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 01:57:14 AM »

Well, This is interesting. I don't quite know what to think of this guy. Read this. What is he trying to say? He is a Tech as it turns out. He likes to mod cheap stuff?

http://audioproz.com/news/letterowner/letterowner.htm
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Bivouac

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 02:47:20 AM »

Well, I really just don't know what to think of the guy.  He made a bunch of claims like:  The RNC is not a good sounding compressor, it just has "a long compression ratio" (I'm still not sure what that was supposed to mean) that fools people into thinking that it's good.  He was raving about BEHR**GER and other commonly frowned upon preamps and how they compare they compare to high end units (he mentioned Mercenary Audio specifically here...)that aren't worth their price.  Really knocked on Neumann, ELAM, Schoeps...    

He said that Americans have a completely different take on BEH***GER than Europeans do.  I guess they hold it in very high regard.  Big fan of Sound on Sound magazine...liked these cheap monitors from Canada (name escapes me...) as long as you install a new crossover in them.  Just as good as any Genelec, B&W, etc.

He said that Joe Meek (the individual...) was huge influence on him and he enjoys experimenting with equipment in a similar manner.  Made a comment about how the line of equipment doesn't properly represent his legacy...

I respect the fact that he doesn't judge equipment because of the price its sold for and his appreciation for well designed electronics, but I only asked if he had a product in stock  Smile

I don't know...I read enough to know exactly where I want to go with my recording.  I am a newbie, but I have a lot of knowledge about quality equipment.  I make a very concerted effort at learning as much as I can.  I need my computer interface as a "crutch".  Five years down the line, I want to think about a real studio with a 2" but until then, I'm using this level of equipment.  Microphones, preamps, effects...I purchase for the long run.  I done a good job at that thus far.  

Fletcher

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 06:32:34 AM »

Find Mickey at "Wind Over The Earth", they're in Colorado, have been around for ages, and from everything I've heard they support and grow with their clients really well.  I don't have their number handy, but if you PM me I'll see what I can dig up.

As for the other dude having what you want and wanting to charge more because he has it and no one else does... that's the law of "supply and demand".  If the brother has a supply, and you have a demand... and you feel you can justify paying the price, then there is a deal to be had... if you don't feel like paying it, don't pay it and continue on with the search... as for the brother tying up 56 minutes of your life... unless someone had a gun to your head forcing you to sit there and listen to him...

CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Bivouac

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 12:21:56 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 04:32

Find Mickey at "Wind Over The Earth", they're in Colorado, have been around for ages, and from everything I've heard they support and grow with their clients really well.  I don't have their number handy, but if you PM me I'll see what I can dig up.

As for the other dude having what you want and wanting to charge more because he has it and no one else does... that's the law of "supply and demand".  If the brother has a supply, and you have a demand... and you feel you can justify paying the price, then there is a deal to be had... if you don't feel like paying it, don't pay it and continue on with the search... as for the brother tying up 56 minutes of your life... unless someone had a gun to your head forcing you to sit there and listen to him...

Thank you, Fletcher.  That was really all I was looking for.  I'll do some searching around for that number before I bother you.  I pretty much understand why everything happened the way it did.  I just need to locate some equipment and I really don't have anywhere to turn to besides internet forums for help.  I felt this individual made some comments that could offend some people around here specifically and sort of wondered if there was sort of a personal vendetta thing going on.

Oh well, thank you for that information...

oldgearguy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 12:41:28 PM »

in Vince's for sale gearlist I ran across this:

21433      Alesis 3630 compressor/processor,

excellent condition, one of the best compressors for final mix or channel compression,  modification to RMS VCA detector circuit to improve distortion/compressor

'nuff said.

Fibes

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 01:31:27 PM »

oldgearguy wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 12:41

in 'nuff said.

You've said way too much.

Poor guy.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

hasbeen

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 10:15:39 PM »

I have to say, I have known Vince (casually) since the late 70's. He is truly eccentric even back then, but he is amazing at fixing gear.

I'm sure we have all known someone like this. Wierd, nurdy, smelly cuz of one track brain. Funny guy....

Have not seen him in quite some time, but seems natural that he sounds like a quack!
Who is John Galt

brandondrury

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 02:25:06 AM »

All this crap over a mid-priced preamp.  I'm probably in the same boat as you as far experience and such, and I'm still trying to hear much of a difference between my Vintech 1272 and my Mackie preamps.  

I'm way too concerned about the source instrument and even more importantly the performance and song.  So, don't spend that much time being set on piece of gear.  If you know this gear is going to change your life, then go through the trouble.  

However, just because I have Neve preamp or two hasn't helped one bit with any parts of the chain:  shitty songs, shitty musicians, shitty rooms, good mics, average cables, average convertors, still learning mixing, etc.

If this dude gives you a bad vibe or wants more than you want to pay, then buy something else.  I snagged my Vintech 1272 for $1000 on Ebay for whatever that is worth.  While I certainly don't hear any magic or gold being applied to the signal, most people consider it a pro product that I hope to grow into.

Brandon

johnnywiz

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2004, 03:08:17 PM »

hasbeen wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 22:15

I have to say, I have known Vince (casually) since the late 70's. He is truly eccentric even back then, but he is amazing at fixing gear.

Same here. My first deal with him was a trade in the mid-80's. I traded him a Ibanez dual channel reverb (forget the model #), for 2 brand new Beyer M88's.

I stopped by there last month, just because I was amazed that he was still open. He still has the Ibanez and claims it's the best reverb he's ever heard, and I was foolish to make the trade. So I chuckled to myself and let it pass....

Then I went for the money shot...
I asked him what he thought about GML and Manley products.
The condensed version of his answer?
"I can modify any Behringer product to sound better."

The guy is a trip,
electronic breath and ear taters, but he's passionate about his beliefs.
And he's not hiding his agenda:
http://www.audioproz.com/news/letterowner/letterowner.htm
JohnnyWiz
"What's with all these people who think that intonation is overrated?" JJB

johnmacy

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 04:05:20 PM »

Fletcher is right about Wind Over the Earth in Boulder, CO, a very serious pro-audio shop. Mickey Houlihan, the owner is great to work with, and I have dealt with them since day one (many years now) with absolutely 100% positive experiences.  Check them out at www.windovertheearth.com or by phone at 303.443.9822.

Also, Audio Consultant Services handle the best rental/service shop around here, with some pro-sales also.  David Soren and Alan Bacca are both ex-DesignFX guys who moved to Colorado to build this company.  303.296.1885.

djui5

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 06:00:21 AM »

Bivouac wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 00:47

"a long compression ratio"

Anyone who says long compression ratio is ovbiously confused..

I think he meant long release....

never heard the rnc myself so maybe he's talking about something else...
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

AudioProZ

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »

Hi this is Vince from Audioproz.com:

To start off, I would like to say that I am a technically knowledgeable person who has been working with pro and consumer equipment for over 25 years.  I have worked with engineers of audio equipment, I have headed service departments for hifi companies such as HH Scott, Apt, KLH, and have been running an electronic repair/sales shop for about 20 years.  I have seen quite a lot of electronics pass through my life.  I try to make judgment calls based on the technical merits of products.  With this said, I will now give some of my opinions in more detail....and directly from me.

I have had quite a few discussions about mic preamps and compressors with internet people, so for now, I’ll make a general comment about this.  Too many preamps and processors that I have encountered are just op amps in a box and not much more.  I don't care much for the fancy faceplates or the marketing hype regarding the device, if that is what makes it sell.  I have seen equipment that sells for $100 which technically outperforms devices that go for $1000.  But, I do not, in fact, claim that inexpensive is ALWAYS the way to go, only that consumers should be aware that retail prices do not reflect the product’s sophistication, true usable sound character, or flexibility of design.

Having said this, I would like to clear up some misconceptions that some people have about me and my shop.  As an example, a particular customer called wanting some Joe Meek mic preamp/compressor products.  I did say that SOME Joe Meek products have not performed very well, especially the earlier models which were poorly manufactured and had poor specs (some later models were improved).  In fact, SOME Behringer equipment is able to outperform these units and sell for much less.  I also said on the phone that SOME Samson products can create more character and perform as well or better then competitors charging ten to twenty times more for the same thing.  Again, I often see only the similar components and same designs in both the expensive and inexpensive equipment.  Why pay more for a name which oftentimes does nothing more than the equivalent less expensive items? (most products will not retain much long term value anyhow, although fancy name stuff does, depending on market fads).  But, let me insist that it is worth getting electronic devices which are well built, have interesting sonic attributes, and are serviceable in the long run, especially for studios who use equipment every day, relentlessly.  Without a doubt, the most annoying problem with most inexpensive electronic equipment is the cheap, sometimes slightly noisy controls used in manufacturing.  However, the better inexpensive processors have the low noise op amps and decent quality connectors.

I am only trying to get the average home recording studio musician to understand that they do not have to spend their life savings just to buy a name on a product.  When somebody in this gentleman's same situation asks me for a product that is quite expensive, the first thing on my mind is not to sell some high markup item out the door, but to offer something that operates just as well, if not better, as the expensive thing, for a lower price even if it means that my shop doesn't see as large of a profit.  I am sorry, but it must mean SOMETHING when I sacrifice high profits for happier, better informed customers.

In response to a specific person's comment ("I wish I were the type of person that could tell him to shut up......"), I would like to set something straight.  At no point during our conversation did he ever say anything about wanting to end the conversation.  Au contraire, he kept asking questions which, in turn, begged for informed, well explained answers.  Most people hold me on the phone, even though I keep repeating myself.  I am way too busy in this shop to spend "56 min." on the phone.  But, I do.  I am sorry that I care about my customers, and hope that I can inform them to make technically educated decisions on their equipment purchases, I also try to give them advice about the best use of the products.  I am not impressed with any company which uses clever marketing to sell mediocre products.  On the same note, since I don’t sell much of the super-marketed equipment (I special order it), I often make my profits by repairing those "high end" and “low end” companies' engineering design flaws.  I would not have spent that much time away from the real profits, had I not felt that this is a person who wants to hear what I have to offer.  Quite often, I make loyal customers who are open to another viewpoint which is not distorted by myths and marketing.  I often comment to people, “if they can make a laptop computer for $600 that beats one from 10 years ago, it certainly follows that microphones can be made for a few hundred dollars that compete with 20 year old designs”.  My vantage point is that I get to see and use much of this fancy equipment.  I’ve repaired thousands of different electronics, and used them in my recording studios and rental requirements.  I get feedback from my personal use as well as from countless small studios.  I am somewhat blacklisted from large studios because of my viewpoint that equipment does not have to weigh 62 pounds, cost $2000, and have a fancy name on it to be of value.  

I have a synth studio with about 40 units (keyboards, drum machines, processors, etc.) and I pretty much record directly to 2 track in live time.  With today’s samplers and looping devices, it is pretty easy to think up a composition and run with it really fast.  Admittedly, I prefer more improvisational styles; jazzy, ambient, landscape music.  My acoustic room has a Kawai concert grand piano and an assortment of guitars, basses, and hand drums.  I pretty much snap on a switch and record, in both studios.  I prefer equipment which can be versatile but easily adjusted to create the sound character so I can spend time playing and creating.  I admit, I don’t like an expensive aluminum box which does only one thing well and not much else.

I have read some comments online, and there is an error that has gotten into print.  Specifically, it is about my praises for the Alesis 3630 compressor.  Possibly our website has crowded some information.  What is to be said is the Alesis 3630 is a mediocre compressor, but some people like it because it has a heavy handed way of processing and compressing the signal, and that can be good if that’s what is desired.  What is more important to note, and what we thought we posted was the Behringer Composer, the original well-built unit made ten years ago, is an exceptional machine.  Oddly enough, it shares similar VCA’s (DBX and “that” technology) but uses them and the RMS detection circuit much differently.  The “Original” Composer had an extremely sophisticated RMS detection circuit which is very similar to a DBX 160X or DBX 166, it has very accurate stereo tracking and brought out all of the attack, ratio, etc. controls to the front panel.  Indeed it is a faster compressor and is far more versatile for compression release, too.  Its Auto Compress function is almost invisible sounding.  I sold many of these units, still rent them, and continue to use one still.  The modification I do is to reduce the crosstalk of the RMS detector circuit (which creates some very sophisticated multistage “voicing” and allows the VCA to compress cleverly) into the audio signal path.  It is an amazing unit.  In its era, ten years ago, many studio engineers praised this unit as one of the “smoothest and natural sounding compressors”.  It retailed for $500-$600, I think, but when Behringer dropped the price to $200+, everybody thought it was junk.  Same unit, different perspective of value!!!  The new Composer Pro is a cheaper built machine, but I feel it still performs very competitively and many thought it was a winner too.  As an anecdotal comment, the Boss CL50 compressor is also a virtual carbon copy of a DBX 160X, with DBX parts and even a circuit layout similar to DBX.  Apparently DBX licensed its design to Boss.  The Boss unit can be had for $100 or so, the DBX 160X (which I like very much) still gets $200-$400 for the same technologically designed unit.  Yes, I have used them both and they sound the same.  If you want to know more, ask.

Ask and I will tell you.  I won’t hang up the phone.  I will explain as much as you are willing to hear.  Perhaps it might be best to explain a little more of my attitude and my situation.  Soon, I am going to change my shop and I will be going into semi-retirement.  One of my favorite hobbies is to modify synths and tube equipment and correct design flaws in audio equipment (the manufacturers seldom care, even about the most grotesque design flaws).  I get a kick out of reengineering a circuit to perform way past its original design (improved noise, more stable circuit, more dynamic range, etc.).  Vintage stuff is cool too, but uses a lot of crummy capacitors and terrible transistors which age badly (although some people like this sound).  I have upgraded countless vintage items successfully, but now people have more suspicions about touching their revered Neves or Ureis or whatever, but for 25 years it was just good ole’ regular service and I was appreciated.

If I appear to be a little arrogant, or not to be towing the market line to sell, sell, sell, It is because I am bored with neophytes telling me my business.  Maybe I have poor bedside manner and should learn to talk some clever lingo in tune with today.  I can’t.  I am me.  I shoot from the hip.  After 25 years of staring at schematics and solving seemingly unsolvable problems, I am a little spent and just can’t suck up to today’s marketing hype.  I’m sorry , too often I just don’t hear or see some of these supposed amazing attributes of certain products.  I am a nuts and bolts technician and audiophile.  I’ve done ridiculous amounts of listening and technical investigation as to what and why things sound the way they do and I am coming to a realization that most differences in sonic qualities are too minor to worry about.  In a recording studio or at home, talent will shine through even the most mediocre equipment, but I still get a kick out of electronic designs which transcend their time or price.  I have gotten enough accolades from those who truly know me.  A sound byte of criticism on an internet forum is bupkiss, nothing, 25 years of success, honesty, experience, and perserverence is my track record.

In closing, I hope people remember that, as a culture, we can be easily fooled, fads come and go, but the truth will usually show itself to those who are open minded.  I am sorry about my eccentricity, I have been through many difficult years.  Firstly, I am an artist and musician in my heart, but I make a living chopping up electronics.  Don’t judge me or anyone else on one call, and most importantly: Have I burnt anyone out there?

Stay cool, it is all just material things we argue about.

Fibes

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 03:11:32 PM »

I retract my initial statement, it is easy to soundbite a person to death. Context, especially in audio, is everything.

In response to myself about Vince: Refreshing attitude, I don't wholly agree, but that's what life is about.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Plush

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 06:21:21 PM »

I find Vince's letter very refreshing.
It smacks of the truth and I appreciate his rejection of
recording equipment fads.
I'll bet he's totally for real.
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

Rader Ranch

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »

stupid software...see below i guess
scott...

Rader Ranch

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 08:02:18 PM »

sweet....
scott...

natpub

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »

Good clarification, Vince. G'luck with your semi-retirement and new business doing mods.

Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH

otek

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 10:00:20 PM »

bivouac wrote:

He said that Americans have a completely different take on BEH***GER than Europeans do. I guess they hold it in very high regard.

From what I've seen and heard, I would have to disagree with the above statement. Most serious AEs I know here are less than impressed with Behringer products. I have tested a bunch of different gear from them, and personally I have yet to hear a piece of Behringer gear that pleases me musically and sonically.

Having said that, being able to buy a full-featured stereo compressor/limiter/gate for 200 bucks may be a great thing if finances are tight. After all, it does the job, right?

AudioProZ wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 20:39

I often comment to people, “if they can make a laptop computer for $600 that beats one from 10 years ago, it certainly follows that microphones can be made for a few hundred dollars that compete with 20 year old designs”.

Vince,

While I certainly agree with a lot of the things you said in your lengthy but informative post, I have to make the observation that the above analogy is not altogether relevant.

The technology to make a $600 laptop simply wasn't around ten years ago. Microphones, on the other hand, have contained the same basic design principles for half a century.

What mic manufacturers today have going for them is the consistency and efficiency of modern day manufacturing techniques, which enables them to put out huge volumes of reasonable-quality mics at competitive prices. What they cannot do is spend the amount of time, effort and plain old TLC it takes to build and tune a really great microphone. There are no shortcuts here, and I truly believe Klaus Heyne when he talks about bringing out the soul and sensuality in a mic design. Such efforts don't come fast, or cheap, for that matter.
Behr*nger - Just say "nein"

- dwoz

Dan Kennedy

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 11:51:52 PM »

Vince and me and Scott Hampton and Dave Hill and Greg Gauterri could all drink a few beers together and have a hell of a time.

And tell each other the same stories, different names.

It's especially true about living thru the bullshit, and not wanting to bow to it. I'm a technician first, so I have little time for flooby-dust or mysticism in the electronics. After 30 years, I
have a pretty good handle on what's crap and what's not, and it's pretty apparent Vince and I grew up and learned the same sort of shit.

I'm also a miserable guitar player, which is why I'm a technician.

Fletcher

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 06:34:30 AM »

Vince, that was a wonderful expression of your views, and I must say that I wholeheartedly concur with the majority of your views and statements.

Three things stuck out to me that made me wonder a bit... the laptop/microphone analogy, and the comparisons to the DBX 160X which always has been, and always will, be a horrible piece of shit, and your affinity for Behringer equipment.

To say that something is better than a DBX 160X isn't a bold statement.  I'm quite sure that Behringer is capable of putting out product that is quite superior to a 160X, hell, I'm sure they're capable of putting out an actual 160X for far less money as they will have little to no R&D in the project.

Being an "audiophile" is a good thing... "phile" being "one that loves or has a strong affinity or preference for" as a suffix to the word "audio" describes pretty much everyone on this board... however, there are different senses of audio aesthetic that find their way to our love of audio.

Having worked on more than a few "industrial" records I have found that their creators generally look more toward a "lo-fi", sonically aggressive approach to the sound of their music.  In that case the use of a DBX 160X is often a rather appropriate tool.  In the case of recorded acoustic instruments, be they the human voice, an acoustic guitar, an electric guitar, a bass [acoustic or electric], piano, drums, or flugelhorn, a DBX 160X will interfere with the audio quality of these recordings on it's best day.

There is indeed a time an a place for every piece of equipment made, and I have less than no argument with you about the myriad of overpriced, over marketed crap that has invaded the society which encompasses the small and home studios.  However, there is some exceptionally well designed, well manufactured products on the market today that could not have existed 10 years ago.

There are some manufacturers, generally smaller "boutique" manufacturers, that put extreme attention to detail in the design and build of their products.  One can not lump everything in the $2,000 weight class into the same bin.

I am glad that you have no qualms about exposing the bullshit of our industry, it is something that I also strive to illustrate, however, the support of cocksucking thieves like Behringer puts me in an odd position of wondering if you understand the concepts of "intellectual property" or just common respect for a designer, any designer.

When Behringer lost their infringment suit to Aphex that labeled them as thieves.  Much like a pedophile will be labeled a pedophile for the rest of their days on this planet, a firm that steals a design will be labeled a pack of cocksuckers and thieves from that day forward until the demise of the company.

The fact that Behringer takes the work of others, reverse engineers it and sends it off to China to be manufactured isn't something to be lauded, it is an act worthy of nothing more than the utmost distain and contempt.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to clarify your statements and postitions... but at the same time I would hope that you would re-examine some of your thought process.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

AudioProZ

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2004, 02:28:52 PM »

Hi this is Vince,

I won't go into a whole lot of detail right now.  If you dig into your law books, you will see that people have misunderstood the lawsuits against companies like Behringer.  Behringer, in fact, adheres to the strict ISO 9000 standards (no child labor, no toxic waste dumping, fair treatment of employees, etc.).  Often, they are the original designer of their equipment, but they copy what is popular on the market, much like what everybody else does.  In the case of Aphex, they sued for the concept of the product, not for the design because the electronic designs have no similarity.  Like Mackie suing Behringer concerning their mixing board copy, but the truth is they sued about the color of the board and knobs, and more importantly, most of these boards came out of the same factory in the orient.  The different nameplate and colors were slapped on them because of marketing purposes.

As far as the dbx 160X having bad sonic attributes, it's true, it's difficult to understand whether a customer wants a super low noise, very versatile, virtually invisible sounding compressor with very little character to it (as testified by countless customers who own them, and the fact that dbx wrote the book on the VCA that is used in most compressors used today) that is one way of thinking, as opposed to a Urei or other vintage designs which have a ton of character that seem to suit rock and roll voices or ther vintage recording techniques appropriately.  This is a tough field of psychoacoustics to talk about, to dismiss a dbx 160X as a mediocre compressor from a technical standpoint is just not fair.

I myself love to modify cheap tube compressors to work remarkably well.  I have taken Bellari compressors and redone them to sound like world-class compressors.  More over, I am the biggest advocate of transformerized mic preamps with high gain tube stages.  This gives a more aggressive and harmonically enriched sound character.  For me, the tail end of the engineering and final mix should be done with the cleanest and sonically neutral equipment.  So I believe getting the character on tape/digital and final mixing clean.  In my next comment, I will explain about a novel tube compressor/preamp that I build that has the capability to alter the harmonics in such a way that you can add or subtract in phase or out of phase second harmonics as well as distributing where those harmionics will be enhanced in those frequency bands.  I have built a 7 band tube harmonic equalizer (i.e. it does not equalize the audio program, it forces more harmonics into seven different bands of the program material).  The second harmonic distortion waveforms look like the preferred harmonics that the ear likes to hear for certain types of program material.  My feeling is the manufacturers do not offer enough flexibility in some of theier expensive products to adjust for differing tastes of recording sonics.  Perhaps I am jaded because I can build or modify my own things (i.e. I have done so with synth modules, reverbs, preamps, microphones, etc.) to suit my own taste.  Ultimately it sometimes only costs pennies for the parts, but days of thinking to create my little "Frankensonics".  With this all being said, I am only reminding us all of a crucial point.  Too many manufacturers throw the wiffle ball of advertising at us, and we flee, convinced that we are swinging for the stands.  All I see is another piece of plastic.  Sorry about the pun.

To me, the simple truth is there are products which transcend their price and their time.  Perhaps my prejudice is based on the finding of these special audio gems.  I have heard from many customers who have made comparisons to similar things that I have known, and have come to similar conclusions.  Usually these people have very high quality studio monitors and are not so enamoured by high profile names.  They are more inclined to hear the musicality.

Thank you for hearing me out on this matter.  Send me your comments, and I will write in more depth and detail about specific products if you want me to.

Seeker-Ian

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 03:08:25 AM »

welcome Vince.

Do you know Jack Ortman? He's a guy that used to hang around here. His philosophies are very similar to yours.

What a breath of fresh air.

That Behringer preamp/converter combo into a digi001 with some nice behringer compression.

MAN.

and throw the big ole 99.00 STUDIO mic they have.

throw out your vintech and benchmarks NOW.

this shits moist PRO.

and when your done. master that mother fucker with that behringer ultramaximizer.

dont forget to mix on one of those digital mixers of theirs too.

seriously.... a complete studio for the price of one decent preamp.

what the fuck have we been thinking.

824's?

Behringer has TRUTHS.

no more lying monitors.

Stavross

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2004, 09:51:04 AM »

AudioProZ wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 13:28

As far as the dbx 160X having bad sonic attributes, it's true, it's difficult to understand whether a customer wants a super low noise, very versatile, virtually invisible sounding compressor with very little character to it[snip]

LMFBO

Quote:

(as testified by countless customers who own them,

Well lots of people eat at MacDonald's

Quote:

and the fact that dbx wrote the book on the VCA that is used in most compressors used today)

Most Comps used today suck

Quote:

[snip].... to dismiss a dbx 160X as a mediocre compressor from a technical standpoint is just not fair.

How about from a sonic standpoint?

Vince, I appreciate your point of view that audio gear doesn't always have to cost a fortune to be useful, much of the gear I have in my studio is testament to that. But to assert that the 160x is a sonically transparent compressor just baffles me. I have a couple in the FOH rack where I work in my other life, and they are suited quite well for that, but they will find little space in my studio for anything other than a lo-fi over-compressed effect.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning". - Rich Cook

otek

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2004, 10:12:07 PM »

I prefer the original 160 greatly to the XT model.
Behr*nger - Just say "nein"

- dwoz
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.