R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broken fader  (Read 1803 times)

ekko

broken fader
« on: May 20, 2004, 12:05:29 PM »

ahoy hoy, got a yamaha digital console with a possesed master fader. every few days it either physically flys around randomly, or just does that internally (the fader sits at 0, look at the screen and its at -25 or whatever). and if you bump it accidentally...its all over. either way, it takes a good 10 minutes with the scroll wheel and flicking the fader round to get it back to 0 and make it stay there. it'll go to 0, then drop again, then move around for a while and settle somewhere random. no-one seems to be able to tell me jack about it, i cant figure out whether the fader is stuffed or if its a software issue (i got that impression since the physical fader can remain stationary while the software master changes..although, as i said the actual fader sometimes goes crazy too). i dont know a thing about inside consoles, especially motorised faders.

what do you think? i obviously tried things like calibrating the faders (flys round in cal mode too), calling the local techs (who didnt know shit). anyone had this? new fader or software?
"I know that here in this forum we should not talk about how the things sound."

Ivo, the magic land of the R/E/P

John Klett

Re: broken fader
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 12:25:02 PM »

Right off the top of my head it sounds like the fader itself has a problem.  I've not worked on the insides of any Yamaha digital mixer  but if the fader track is dirty then the software does not know where it is all the time - so it may look like you moved it or are moving it or it will look as though it is where it is not and try to make move the fader to correct that problem...  and that would be pretty erratic because of a lack of correct positional feedback.  My gut feeling is the fader is shot.  I am not sure how difficult it would be to open the console and swap that fader for another but I would think about giving that a shot - they should all be the same since they are only i/o controller/feedback devices
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.