R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thin Capsule Diaphragms: Better or Worse?  (Read 23534 times)

Bill_Urick

Thin Capsule Diaphragms: Better or Worse?
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »

Thanks for all the input on the SDC vs LDC thread.
I'll try to be more precise in this question.
Is a thinner skin on a capsule preferable?
If so what are the characteristics of thinner capsule skins that make it so? Is there an optimum thickness and are there any trade-offs?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions!
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

Klaus Heyne

Re: How bout' them microns?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:54:26 PM »

There are both fans and opponents of thin (3
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Bill_Urick

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:46:25 PM »

Klaus, you sound as though you're not a fan of the thinner capsules. I don't know enough to have a prejudice, just seeking opinions of those more knowledgeable.
Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfy in everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess.

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »

The thinner Capsules are not as good in my opinion.  I guess some people like them.  

Tim Campbell

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:15:27 AM »

David Josephson has stated many times his preference for 3 micron diaphrams when they're properly implemented. Maybe we could get him to contribute.

I also remember a discussion with others including Stephen Paul where one particular designer felt that proper dampning would negate most of the effects of a thinner diaphram.

I myself prefer 6 micron membranes on the types of capsules I've produced or repaired.
Campbell Transmitter
www.timcampbell.dk

Bill_Urick

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:19:04 PM »

Are there other common thicknesses besides 3 and 6 microns? Does it matter whether we are talking about LDC's or SDC's?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:39:01 PM »

Bill Urick wrote on Mon, 17 March 2008 16:19

Does it matter whether we are talking about LDC's or SDC's?

Yes. The electrostatic attraction of the diaphragm to the backplate is much more an issue with large diaphragms than with small ones.

Thin skin capsules have a harder time withstanding that attraction, because the diaphragm tension which, among other functions, determines the low end response of the capsule, cannot be easily increased to prevent collapse, without choking off low end at the same time.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Bill_Urick

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:17:21 AM »

Klaus, in your opinion, what is the optimum thickness for a LDC and for a SDC? Hopefully this is a reasonable question.

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:35:48 AM »

My preferences have been expressed here and on other forums repeatedly:

The golden balance between speed, yet rich mid range texture, resolution, and long term mechanical stability is 6
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 07:45:10 AM »

Klaus wrote:"On SDCs it's a bit more complicated. Most of the Mylar capsules I like are around 4
Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Oliver Archut

Re: Thin Capsule Diaphragms: Better or Worse?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »

Hello Erik,

if you mentioning weight of metal, please also keep in mind that the tensioning is way higher with metal than with Mylar.
That adds a force with a result similar to a higher weight.
One of the biggest issues, the impulse capability of an capsule is mostly due to the air volume trapped, that volume is also differnt for a pressure vs. a gradient design with reference to impulse.

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

Schallfeldnebel

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

Thanks Oliver, yes I read about that.

Klaus is mentioning membrane thickness and diameter without making distinction between 1. real pressure microphones or pressure-gradient microphones, either 2. made from metal or plastic. Comparing the thicknesses that way is like comparing apples with pears.

Erik Sikkema

Bill Mueller:"Only very recently, has the availability of cheap consumer based gear popularized the concept of a rank amateur as an audio engineer. Unfortunately, this has also degraded the reputation of the audio engineer to the lowest level in its history. A sad thing indeed for those of us professionals."

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »

As I was concentrating my remaks on LDCs (which are a largely unexplored territory for omnis) and as omnis are just a minute segment of condenser recording mics in general, I assumed we were talking about cardioids.

Sorry, I did not make this clear up front.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

djosephson

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »

To respond to the earlier comment, yes it's true that at one time I thought that 3 micron diaphragms were preferable for LDCs, and possibly a bit thinner for SDCs. I have since come to a different conclusion, that 6 micron is in general a better compromise, along the lines of the balances and tradeoffs that Klaus mentions. I had convinced myself that 3 micron was better, and worked for several years to produce repeatable and good sounding diaphragms with that material. When I reached what seemed to be a limit, I started working on 6 micron material (and everything else from around 0.4 micron to 12 or so) and found that 6 really did work out better for most mic designs. The differences are minor, once the stability issues are solved, and it really makes very little difference, within reason, because the dominant mass is not that of the diaphragm, but that of the air load on either side of it.

However we should be clear that the thickness is not the issue at all, it's the mass. Nickel weighs 6.4 times as much as mylar does per unit volume, so it's no surprise that a nickel diaphragm of about 1/6 that of an otherwise equivalent mylar diaphragm works out best. The nickel diaphragms on our C617SET omni microphone are 0.9 micron, made by Gefell the same way they were for the KM53/54/56 microphones. The equivalent mics from Bruel and Kjaer in years past were also nickel of the same thickness (now they are mostly rolled steel).
--
David Josephson -- Josephson Engineering Inc -- www.josephson.com

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

djosephson wrote on Fri, 28 March 2008 15:51

... we should be clear that the thickness is not the issue at all, it's the mass. Nickel weighs 6.4 times as much as mylar does per unit volume, so it's no surprise that a nickel diaphragm of about 1/6 that of an otherwise equivalent mylar diaphragm works out best...

Excellent point! That's why it makes sense to compare the effect of diaphragm thickness on sound and other capsule performance parameters only within the same material choices.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Oliver Archut

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »

made by Gefell the same way they were for the KM53/54/56 microphones.

Hello David,

Gefell does not make capsules the same way Neumann did. The backplate is similar but the process is different how the nickel is made an then applied. They are close but not the same....

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

compasspnt

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »

What was the thickness of the (various) U-47 membranes?

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »

Average 8-10
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Huntlabs

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »

Hi,

I've got a Stephen Paul modified C12VR.  I believe it has a vintage C12 capsule on it that Mr. Paul put a 3u diaphragm on.  It isn't a bad mic, in fact it is very nice.  I've mainly used it on vocals but I prefer a K47 capped Hamptone HTM12A.  I have a pair of the Hamptone mics.  Mr. Hampton let me borrow his C12 capped HTM12A and I liked that a bit better.

So I'm trying to decide what to do with this C12VR.  Should I have it re-skinned?  Should I just enjoy it the way it is?  I don't know the extent of the other mods that were made to the C12VR by Mr. Paul.  Reading through the posts about the characteristics of 3u skinned caps made me think of my mic and how it sounds to me.

Here is a picture of the cap:

http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=40557  

Thanks,

John Huntsman
Portland, OR  
John Huntsman
Portland, OR

Huntlabs

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »

I added some more photos of the microphone.  Look for the C12 titled photos.  Based on the current C12 thread it appears the capsule is "at best a C414EB".  

http://www.fenderforum.com/guestbook.html?user_name=Huntlabs

Thanks!

John Huntsman
Portland, OR

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

Restoring your CK12 to factory skins after a Stephen Paul capsule mod is probably  impossible.
Every CK12 mod I have seen by him entailed some planing of the backplate mating surfaces.

My advice: enjoy the mic as it is, or sell it.

P.S.: Nice Rosewood Tele!
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

ricknroll

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2008, 09:07:20 PM »

Klaus Heyne wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 16:54

There are both fans and opponents of thin (3

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2008, 11:47:03 PM »

In my post I was referring to custom shops which supply thin diaphragms to third parties. i.e. aftermarket.

Sorry for not having been more clear in my wording. Yes, there are a few manufacturers who use thin diaphragms. Aside of GT, Lawson is another one of the more well-known manufacturers, so is Brauner who uses 4
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Tony Merrill

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 10:26:58 AM »

Are thin film diaphragms better?

Wow.

Ready for liftoff? 3...2...1... Here we go!

Short Answer: Coming from the perpetuator of the company that pioneered lower mass large diaphragms back in 1984, my answer may surprise some folks out there...

Sometimes.

But first: to ask a question like this is not like asking "Apples or Oranges," rather more like "Red Delicious or Granny Smith?" For there is no "better" in my mind, only different flavors, or colors on the palette... Strat or Les Paul? Martin or Taylor? Countach or Testarossa? Hayek or Klum?  Twisted Evil

Actually, the question itself has very little meaning, because the diaphragm is only one part of a complex and (sometimes) finely tuned system. I've built capsules with thin (Mylar) films that I would readily put up against ANY microphone original or modified, yet I'm still wrangling with getting 0.4 micron film to sound completely stunning. Many times those mics would win, sometimes they would lose- Why? Every application is different. Every set of ears is different. I've worked on mics that I thought were deficient in some particular area, yet it was exactly the deficiency needed to compensate some vocalist's overemphasis in that area, and vice-versa and on and on. Anybody tasted the difference between a pie baked with Red Delicious and one baked with Granny Smith? How about applesauce with those same two? Different applications.

As is readily apparent by now,(to wit, the larger part of the Sino-based dreck swamping the market) there is a lot more to making a microphone sound really Good (musical, sexy, etc....) than just machining some parts and sticking them together. It's entirely all too easy to assemble a capsule with
thinner diaphragms that really doesn't please anyone. So, the passing of judgment on all thin film mics based on hearing one or two is truly premature.

As for the longevity/reliability issue, I've said this before in this forum - in all the mics I've had a chance to examine, I've never seen a thin diaphragm fail due to its inherent thinness. Physical violence (Overeager tech, Drummer, Gravity) or adhesive failure (usually due to physical violence) are the cause of 99% of diaphragm failures. Mylar(r) is a remarkably tough film, and as long as there's no mayhem inflicted upon it, the film itself holds up. Period. There are 1.5 micron capsules in rental situations that are now more than 22 years old and still going strong. 'Nuf said.

Transient response may or may not be the strictly correct term to use for the perceivable increase in definition and transparency (for example the difference between hearing individual raindrops and hearing basically white noise,) but it's the most likely culprit in my mind. Regardless of the fact that the air cushion behind the diaphragm is a major contributor to high frequency response in a pressure gradient capsule, there is the issue of
inertia. One can argue that, with the proper damping, the inertia of a more massive diaphragm becomes irrelevant; I would argue that with lower mass and lower inertia, not only can higher sensitivity to the more delicate pressure waves result, but less damping is necessary as well. I will leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions about whether less damping is desirable, though I will point out that a rough analog can be drawn to negative feedback in an electrical circuit.

So why, you ask, did I say sometimes? Well, I've tried to use thin diaphragm mics on inferior instruments -- I got inferior results. Too much detail. Too much clarity. Too much inferior instrument. An SM57 turned out to be the deficiency that made up for the deficiency in the instrument. Of course this is the extreme, but serves to illustrate the other end of a Broad spectrum over which many different microphones apply.

On another hand, the most consistent response I've gotten from users has been along the lines of "the artist is going nuts, they've never heard themselves like this before" and as a result the performance they delivered was more inspired. On the bottom line, I think that's what recording music is all about; listen to any early Motown record - I hardly think an argument could be made for sonic superiority on "Tears of a Clown" but the performances (and the songwriting/arranging) made it a classic.

Jeez, if only they'd had thin diaphragms...  Very Happy  

(And yes, CK12's can usually be rebuilt to stock specs even after a mod - it depends.)

Best,
Tony Merrill
Stephen Paul Audio
Tony Merrill
Stephen Paul Audio
www.spaudio.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »

Edit: OK, here's the problem with anecdotal evidence: The tech misidentified the capsule to me as a K47, when it was in fact an M7.  The user of thin diaphragms had serviced the mic, but not touched the capsule, by request of the owner.  The PVC on the backside had failed, as happens with old PVC membranes.  

My apologies to the unnamed repair person, who I did not name for the very reason that it was second hand info.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Audio Craftsman

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 08:15:53 PM »

Our Stephen Paul modded u87 sounds so much better than our stock u87Ai, especially for vocals and dialog.  The thinner capsule is not the only reason it sounds so good, but I believe it is the most significant factor.  Not always the right mic, but I almost always prefer the Stephen Paul mod to the u87Ai when an 87 is the right flavor.

-Randy Coppinger
Randy Coppinger, Audio Craftsman

“A hammer and chisel do not a sculptor make."
- Michelangelo

MDM,

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »

wouldn't a thicker diaphragm behave more like a piston?
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

J.J. Blair

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »

Randy, out of curiosity, try using both head assemblies on one body, to eliminate the difference in amp circuitry as a factor.  I'm curious about what you hear in that case.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Audio Craftsman

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 10:20:37 PM »

What a great idea! I've never detached head assemblies.  I opened them up but it was not clear to me how to get them off/on.  Any tips?

- Michelangelo

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 12:56:03 AM »

It is easy use soft hands. Unscrew the bottom of the mic pull of the body tube.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2008, 02:31:18 AM »

There's two vertical piece on the side.  Squeeze them together, and the head pops right off.  The U67/87 is the easiest Neumann to disassemble.  
studio info

Audio Craftsman

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 04 June 2008 23:31

There's two vertical piece on the side.  Squeeze them together, and the head pops right off.  The U67/87 is the easiest Neumann to disassemble.  

That is a beautiful thing.  Thanks for the help.  Now I'm off so record and listen!  I'll give you my impressions (and maybe a link) later.

- Michelangelo

Dominick

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »

U87 and U87a capsules are not interchangeable.
U87a capsules are interchangeable with U67
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/249210/4129/?sr ch=u87+capsule#msg_249210
Dominick Costanzo

Audio Craftsman

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »

The Stephen Paul 87 is NOT an "A" and the stock 87 IS an "Ai".  

Does that mean if I swap the heads the comparison will not be a fair one?  Or does that mean it will not work, potentially damaging something?

- Michelangelo

Dominick

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/236104/0/?srch= K87#msg_236104

U87a uses a higher polarizing voltage than the U87
60V instead of 48V if I recall.
Dominick Costanzo

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »

It will not work because the contact pins will not fit.
No danger involved, just the old 'the key won't fit the door' thing.

They did that, because patterns in the "A" model are derived differently than in the non-"A" model, i.e. the two capsules are not interchangeable from model to model, and would not work properly on the other model.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Markus Sauschlager

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »

It doesn't really fit the U87 discussion but I found something interesting. Many, including me, thought that the M50's "alu-capsule" had a super thin (1-2
Markus Sauschlager

- Schauma amal, dann werma schon sehen... -

"...and do not forget that marketing is b.s. with a sugar coating." - O. Archut, 06 March 2009

Huntlabs

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19:21 PM »

I recently tried my C12VR Stephen Paul 3u mic on vocals and I was amazed.  I had all but decided I was going to sell this mic but no more.  It is really clear and nice. I had it up against a U47 and my singer and I both were "wow'd".   A great flavor to have available.  It sounded good on classical guitar too.
John Huntsman
Portland, OR

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »

Dominick wrote on Thu, 05 June 2008 18:41

U87 and U87a capsules are not interchangeable.
U87a capsules are interchangeable with U67
  http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/249210/4129/?sr ch=u87+capsule#msg_249210

Missed that it was an A.  My bad.  Sorry.
studio info

Audio Craftsman

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:11 PM »

I learned how to take off the head assembly.  The scenery along the walk was interesting even if I went to the wrong destination. Smile

- Michelangelo
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up