R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Clutch problem  (Read 8615 times)

Bill Mueller

Re: Clutch problem
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2008, 11:12:39 AM »

Hello all,

For more than twenty-five years, I have been wearing ear plugs when I drive, fly, sit in a restaurant, attend most movies, go to concerts, and expose myself in any way to noise. I save my hearing up for working on music, either live or in the studio.

Now I drive a very loud MR2 turbo (intake, exhaust, boost controller, fuel defense circuit, stage 3 clutch, etc, about 300 hp) and really have to wear plugs.

But I see people all the time with iPod buds in their ears. It has become normal, even if it is illegal.

Best Regards,

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

phantom309

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 09:12

Hello all,

For more than twenty-five years, I have been wearing ear plugs when I drive, fly, sit in a restaurant, attend most movies, go to concerts, and expose myself in any way to noise. I save my hearing up for working on music, either live or in the studio.

Now I drive a very loud MR2 turbo (intake, exhaust, boost controller, fuel defense circuit, stage 3 clutch, etc, about 300 hp) and really have to wear plugs.

But I see people all the time with iPod buds in their ears. It has become normal, even if it is illegal.

Best Regards,

Bill

Sports car driving got me in this habit many years ago as well. I found that it's made a big difference to lower the overall noise floor in public areas, jets, cars etc. It's important to me to be able to hear the sounds of a car as I drive it, just in case something audibly malfunctions, but bringing it ALL down with simple foam plugs still allows the BIG WARNING noises to be heard.

Nothing like the sound 6 Weber DCNF carbs behind your head to make you respect the potential violence near you.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Bill Mueller

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:23 PM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 11:48

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Bill

Sports car driving got me in this habit many years ago as well. I found that it's made a big difference to lower the overall noise floor in public areas, jets, cars etc. It's important to me to be able to hear the sounds of a car as I drive it, just in case something audibly malfunctions, but bringing it ALL down with simple foam plugs still allows the BIG WARNING noises to be heard.

Nothing like the sound 6 Weber DCNF carbs behind your head to make you respect the potential violence near you.

David,

I also drive a mid engine car with an open intake. Whoo hoo!

However, I am curious to know what you drive that has six Webers behind your head? Heady stuff to be sure.

Best Regards,

Bill

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

phantom309

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 12:53:18 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 10:45

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Bill

David,

However, I am curious to know what you drive that has six Webers behind your head? Heady stuff to be sure.

Best Regards,

Bill

When this all started, it was a 71 Miura SV. #4924. These days it's a 1980 Countach S #11254 with an Quatrovalve engine from a 1986 LM. A special little "project" car from Bob Wallace.  I get a pretty regular pestering from an MR2 driver here in Calgary. Those things are QUICK!

In order fix a clutch problem in THIS car, the entire engine has to come out! God bless Kevlar plates.

David T. Kean

Bill Mueller

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 01:06:57 PM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 12:53

Bill Mueller wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 10:45

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Bill

David,

Best Regards,

Bill

When this all started, it was a 71 Miura SV. #4924. These days it's a 1980 Countach S #11254 with an Quatrovalve engine from a 1986 LM. A special little "project" car from Bob Wallace.  I get a pretty regular pestering from an MR2 driver here in Calgary. Those things are QUICK!

In order fix a clutch problem in THIS car, the entire engine has to come out! God bless Kevlar plates.

David,

Sweeeet. Keep that MR2 off your tail! Surprised

Best Regards,

Bill

ssltech

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote

For more than twenty-five years, I have been wearing ear plugs when I drive, fly, sit in a restaurant, attend most movies, go to concerts, and expose myself

Shocked
phantom309 wrote

In order fix a clutch problem in THIS car, the entire engine has to come out!

Ah... just like the old aircooled Porsches and VW's...

...only nowhere NEAR as simple!

phantom309 wrote

Why? -Where are you driving it...? -South Central? -Watts?

Actually: "Nothing like the sound 6 Weber DCNF carbs behind your head to make you realise the complexity of carb-balancing!!!"

-I should think that sort of array would make you worry about the motor ingesting small poodles, chihuahuas and other rodents, since cracking the throttle open injudiciously at engine speeds over 1500RPM might just suck them right off the sidewalk... Very Happy

Quote:

MR2 Turbo

My wife had an early 90's MR2 Turbo when we met. When I first moved here, it was my daily drive until I got my own car...

Three words:

Yee.

F$#@%ing.

HAAAAAAH!!!!!

Twisted Evil

VERY entertaining!!! -I loved the way that it lit up... not so Brutal and incessant as my current Porsche, but lively, eager, willing and VERY light! -And somehow even the mid-engined nervousness in a corner was pretty well contained, compared to other offerings from Porsche etc.

-They even seem to sell for buttons nowadays... I occasionally browse looking for non-molested versions to make a fun-rocket out of...

I believe that the later MR2s use the same manual transmission and 1.8-litre motor as the 2004/2004 Pontiac Vibe/Toyota matrix, which brings us all full circle...

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

YZ

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 00:08

YZ wrote on Sat, 15 March 2008 21:17

Noisy car!!!!   Shocked

Well, for a long time the exhaust pipe on the Nova was disconnected from the muffler (rusted through) and it was VERY loud.

Oh...   once my exhaust pipe got disconnected (lousy mech + speed bump) right after the catalytic converter.

That was loud...  couldn't go past 2000rpm without risking instant physical ear damage, it was painful.

But it sounded great idling.

regards,

YZ

phantom309

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »

ssltech wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 14:11

Bill Mueller wrote

For more than twenty-five years, I have been wearing ear plugs when I drive, fly, sit in a restaurant, attend most movies, go to concerts, and expose myself

Shocked
phantom309 wrote

In order fix a clutch problem in THIS car, the entire engine has to come out!

Ah... just like the old aircooled Porsches and VW's...

...only nowhere NEAR as simple!

Funny thing is: a Miura clutch is relatively easy, the Countach engine comes out like a banana...back up and straight up, then leveled. Then the hard part is splitting that crazy unified sump/engine case assembly. It's a beautiful thing to behold though, once it's out.

Quote:

phantom309 wrote

Why? -Where are you driving it...? -South Central? -Watts?

Nah, the backroads of Alberta are some great sport driving...just watch out for the deer! In a Miura, you also have the sound of valve lash, timing chains etc..literally 13 inches behind your noggin.
Quote:

Actually: "Nothing like the sound 6 Weber DCNF carbs behind your head to make you realise the complexity of carb-balancing!!!"

Amen, brother. You make friends with your manometer and learn how do a leakdown test. I also have the extra headache of being at 5000 ft here...so everything has to be re-jetter much leaner.

Quote:

-I should think that sort of array would make you worry about the motor ingesting small poodles, chihuahuas and other rodents, since cracking the throttle open injudiciously at engine speeds over 1500RPM might just suck them right off the sidewalk... Very Happy

Yeah, but these things are geared so high that they don't start getting knarly until about 3K. Redline is 8500. High strung italian cars from high strung italians!

Quote:

Quote:

MR2 Turbo

My wife had an early 90's MR2 Turbo when we met. When I first moved here, it was my daily drive until I got my own car...

Three words:

Yee.

F$#@%ing.

HAAAAAAH!!!!!

Twisted Evil

VERY entertaining!!! -I loved the way that it lit up... not so Brutal and incessant as my current Porsche, but lively, eager, willing and VERY light! -And somehow even the mid-engined nervousness in a corner was pretty well contained, compared to other offerings from Porsche etc.

-They even seem to sell for buttons nowadays... I occasionally browse looking for non-molested versions to make a fun-rocket out of...

I believe that the later MR2s use the same manual transmission and 1.8-litre motor as the 2004/2004 Pontiac Vibe/Toyota matrix, which brings us all full circle...

Keith

I always thought the MR2's were the one of the best "bang for the buck" sports cars ever...those and the Acura NSX. Our buddy Jim Blair is rebuilding a Lotus Europa right now with a Toyota MR2 motor. That should be a blast.

Jessica? You KNEW it would come to this, didn't you?  Razz
David T. Kean

Bill Mueller

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 18:47

I always thought the MR2's were the one of the best "bang for the buck" sports cars ever...those and the Acura NSX. Our buddy Jim Blair is rebuilding a Lotus Europa right now with a Toyota MR2 motor. That should be a blast.

David,

My Mr2 is a Japanese turbo conversion from an NA car. The NA is almost 500 lbs lighter than the stock turbo. I am running 17 lbs of boost, and it breaths like it doesn't have an exhaust. The Japanese 3SGTE engines have a deeper cam and a ceramic turbo that stays cooler.

I just love this car. It's twitchy, stiff, seriously over powered and drives like a go kart. I have put more than 100,000 miles on it and I just don't know what I'm going to do when it finally dies. I don't want anything else. This summer I intend to do a full in and out restoration. The problem is I will have to drive something else for a while.

Of course if I could afford it, a Countach might be nice. Cool C'mon NASA!

Yes Jessica, I'm kind of surprised it took this long to get here.

Edit: It's a manly man who is willing and able to pull the engine on his Lamborghini.

Best Regards,

Bill

Larrchild

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »

index.php/fa/8147/0/
*Only Lips Moving* "I'm sorry, I was Googling my name and came across this post. Never mind, Carry-on.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

phantom309

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 10:52:00 PM »

Bill Mueller wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 19:48

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 18:47

David,

My Mr2 is a Japanese turbo conversion from an NA car. The NA is almost 500 lbs lighter than the stock turbo. I am running 17 lbs of boost, and it breaths like it doesn't have an exhaust. The Japanese 3SGTE engines have a deeper cam and a ceramic turbo that stays cooler.

I just love this car. It's twitchy, stiff, seriously over powered and drives like a go kart. I have put more than 100,000 miles on it and I just don't know what I'm going to do when it finally dies. I don't want anything else. This summer I intend to do a full in and out restoration. The problem is I will have to drive something else for a while.

Of course if I could afford it, a Countach might be nice. Cool C'mon NASA!

Yes Jessica, I'm kind of surprised it took this long to get here.

Edit: It's a manly man who is willing and able to pull the engine on his Lamborghini.

Best Regards,

Bill

Gee Bill, they made so many of those engines, why on EARTH would it ever not be re-buildable? You're lucky in that...I can name you a couple of dozen parts that just can NOT be had for this car. I sold the Miura for that very reason...no clutch plates, no speedo drives, no rear tires (!!!), no original pistons or valves to be had.. I gotta DRIVE 'em!

A-Ok on the lightweight score. The reason I bought this car was that it was built  just before they got heavy with crash bars in the doors, EPA equipment out the wazoo and some other homologation issues for N. America. The cars after 85 or so had a longer stroke, four valves per instead of two and an increase of HP from 380 to 450 to make up for the added weight. This car is the lighter (slightly lower) body with the later engine. Up 70 hp with 600 lbs less weight than the late cars. It's a hoot!

The Countach is a complete pig to drive in a "normal" way. It's hard to steer at slow speeds, visibility is crap for all but a forward vision, it's cramped inside (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs...NOT a good fit), it hates modern fuels and  insurance resembles college tuitions. BUT, it looks amazing at any speed and above 150, it's a jet on rails.

Come to Calgary,  we'll trade for the day and you can teach me how to get a sound I'll like out of this SM-7!
David T. Kean

Jessica A. Engle

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 17:47

Awww, shucks.  You guys can keep having automotive nerd-gasms all you like!  I don't mind.  It's making the time waiting for my car to get back slightly more bearable.  Wink

Jess

phantom309

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »

Jessica A. Engle wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 21:35

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 17:47

Awww, shucks.  You guys can keep having automotive nerd-gasms all you like!  I don't mind.  It's making the time waiting for my car to get back slightly more bearable.  Wink

Jess

"Nerd-gasms"!!! HA!

Hey Bill, explain to me how the ceramic coating works. Faster heat transfer? Did you change the wastegates?
David T. Kean

Andy Peters

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:27 AM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 08:48

Hello all,

Best Regards,

Bill

I wear foam earplugs when I drive with the top down (which is most of the time). They do a great job of reducing the wind noise and such.

Wearing foam earplugs is not the same thing as wearing earbuds. The former knocks down the exterior noise, and the latter eliminates it and replaces it with even louder music.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Bill Mueller

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 12:34:56 AM »

phantom309 wrote on Sun, 16 March 2008 23:46

Hey Bill, explain to me how the ceramic coating works. Faster heat transfer? Did you change the wastegates?

David,

It's not so exotic really. The ceramic coating does not accept the heat from the high pressure intake air like metal does. So the heat goes into the intercooler and is dissipated more efficiently. It is a stock part on the Japanese machines. It gives about twenty five more horse power.

There are a ton of aftermarket parts for this engine. I know guys who are daily driving 500rwhp 2.0 liter engines. Big fun.

Best Regards,

Bill

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.