R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: a blessing or a curse?  (Read 9509 times)

Antman

Re: a blessing or a curse?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

So long as we keep the live venues alive, and great sound guys at the helm, bands will still MOSTLY have to hone their art.

Or at least we can hope.

Iain Graham

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 11:15:29 PM »

You must not go to the same gigs as I go to....or even worse, have to try and polish the sonic turd of.....
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

j.hall

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:01 PM »

live musicianship has gotten pretty bad.

Fig

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 01:45:33 PM »

imdrecordings wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 13:46

bblackwood wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 13:30

imdrecordings wrote on Thu, 13 March 2008 13:13

>Why were EQ's developed?

To allow us to adjust the level of a frequncy(s).

Aka 'fixing' things.

Any tool can be used and any tool can be abused...

Are you saying that there is no difference between a tool that manipulates a frequency, than one that changes the performance entirely?

Sorry, but the purist in me must first state that EQs do NOT adjust frequency.

Secondly, I think the statement has been made that this was developed mostly because it COULD and not necessarily because anyone actually asked for it.

Tone controls, OTOH, we developed because they were actually NEEDED at the time (and even today, eh?).

To me, most software development is from idle hands doing the Devil's work - I promise I will never use a "tool" such as this and instead insist that guitars (and pianos!) be tuned accordingly and that singers hit their notes.

That being said, I still employ a hardware Eventide H910 on occassion.

$0.02,

Thom "never tuned a track ITB" Fiegle
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Iain Graham

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »

I mixed a corporate show last night, a fundraiser put on by local financial organisations.

The bands were all made up of the bankers, fund brokers, etc. Most of the play pretty much 1 gig a year.

The worrying thing about it was, they were as good as a lot of the local rock bands I see on shows. Or maybe as bad as.

Bad timing, not playing as a unit, playing out of tune.....and people just don't get the difference.  Rolling Eyes

Musical education in school needs a major overhaul.
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

j.hall

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 05:36:11 PM »

Iain Graham wrote on Fri, 21 March 2008 13:19

Musical education in school needs a major overhaul.

i wonder how much that has to do with our society no longer telling any one they are "no good", "can't play", "not talented"........etc...

it seems like mediocrity is now a social norm in order to maintain political correctness.

reminds me a lot of george orwell's 1984............

Iain Graham

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 08:50:33 PM »

That's part of it. Certainly in Britain, it's also due to the 80s and the lack of importance, or even opportunity, given to the arts.

Us engineers spending too much time fixing stuff due to lack of time, or talent also contributes.

The quick fix mentality of today too.

The biggest thing is really that it can be fixed in the mix. You don't have to be polished to get into the studio nowadays....anyone can fix bad musicainship easily nowadays.... Sad
Iain Graham

www . soundart . com

Shalebot

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 11:13:42 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 21 March 2008 16:36

it seems like mediocrity is now a social norm in order to maintain political correctness.

reminds me a lot of george orwell's 1984............

Oh, I think mediocrity is more than accepted, it is promoted. Instead of celebrating greatness, we as a society denounce people who are good at whatever it is they do. Instead of telling it like it is, we try to find any reason possible to think positively of mediocrity, and negatively about talent, skill, and creativity.

RSettee

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

$a1Ty wrote on Wed, 12 March 2008 08:40

are we heading to where we can just record everything in the one room with one mic, and then split everything up in the computer and process them all individually?

Better yet, are we just heading to where we don't actually have to play instruments, or better yet, rehearse?

$a1Ty

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:47 PM »

RSettee wrote on Tue, 25 March 2008 06:44

are we heading to where we can just record everything in the one room with one mic, and then split everything up in the computer and process them all individually?

Better yet, are we just heading to where we don't actually have to play instruments, or better yet, rehearse?

heh yeah thats what this will be used for

but from a technical stand point this is pretty awesome, just think about the cake analogy, soon we will be able to take a mix back to its original components, thats pretty cool
Nathan Salt
Hence the nickname - it's an aussie thing

SingSing

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 06:21:03 AM »

RSettee wrote on Mon, 24 March 2008 15:44

Good point Ryan. But with or without this app, the trend has been to line everything up to a grid and that hasn't exactly encouraged good playing. This app will only line things up even easier. But also, it seems it will possibly make it easier to not be a slave under that grid. If it works as shown in the video, I think it will possibly prove to be one of the first creative tools that actually helps us make better music instead of just saving the situation.

All the best,

Stefan
SingSing
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.