R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Potentiometer grease? Product Found!  (Read 32920 times)

sodderboy

Re: Potentiometer grease? Product Found!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »

I use only P&G oil in Alps faders.  It is PTFE based.  Never any type of solvent.  I hate that "lubricating solvent" stuff forever anyway.

A studio owner asked me to fix his stereo because "no matter how he sprayed it, the volume would still crackle".  I found thick deposits of Cramolin Red (yes, it was that long ago) between the front and sub panels that were like butter in consistency!
Wrong product, wrong application.  That happenes often now where there are shops with part-time techs.  People take it upon themselves to schpritz whatever can looks the prettiest into something noisy.

In the last 7 years or so I have been standardizing to the Caig line of products, after having used Cramolin Red and Blue for 20 years, and ProGold for about 12.  Their product line so far has not disappointed.

The problem with the "tried and true" solvents or lubricants is that they get discontinued because they harm the environment or are poisonous.  I have a box stash of flux remover that has now lost it's propellant, so I just punch the cans and put it in a bottle.  Dangerus to hyoomans my legg.
Mike  

oldgearguy

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 09:20:59 PM »

I've only taken the cautious approach of disassembling the pot/fader and then cleaning it all with IPA and then applying lithium grase to the moving sections (usually where the fader is in contact with the body of the slider/pot).  I've seen too much damage over the years where someone sprayed Caig DeOxit (or similar) into the pot and effected a short-term solution only to have it commpletely seize up and disintegrate years later.

CHANCE

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »

Well this might get a laugh or two. My well respected Neve tech said "when it comes time to clean my large faders (which are seperate removable modules) to simply put them in the dish washer"
I haven't done it, and have thought about this for a long time. He seemed to be serious too.
Chance Pataki
The Musicians Workshop
musicians.workshop@gte.net
http://www.the-musicians-workshop.com

A person is a biological signal processor--EQ mag
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 16 queries.