R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello folks....  (Read 2402 times)

Ted, the bass player

Hello folks....
« on: May 19, 2004, 11:27:32 AM »

Howdy,

My name is Ted, and I'm "newb" to the forum.

After being a semi-pro bassist and dabbling as a live sound engineer (I won't out semi-pro behind that because I am not that good) for the last 20 years, I finally took a plunge into the abyss of home recording by trading a bass for a Pro Tools M-Box set up. It will arrive Friday. The goal is to be able to 1) To be able to complete a decent quality demo at an affordable cost and 2) To be able exchange song ideas via e-mail with two of my other band mates.

Since I made the trade, I have been doing a bit of research (well, reading all I can tolerate, I should say) and made a rough plan for the so called "studio". Please check them out and lend your suggestions because, well, I'm ignorant on the subject. This is just a studio for me to record song idea with and I am on a very limited budget.

I did go out and purchase a set of Event TR-5 Monitors and some AKG S240S headphones to get me started. Here is the rest of the plan:

Mics:
Sure SM-57 (general micing- amps, etc)
AKC C100OS (acoustic micing, etc)
Rode NT-1000- (vocal recording I am undecided on this though)

Pre-amps:
Demeter Bass pre-amp (it is what I have in my rack currently)
Guitar POD (I just need a versatile piece that will lend many different textures)
Mic Pre-amp
I am undecided on a good budget minded tube based Mic pre-amp. I need to look in the $300-$500 price-point range. I have been told a tube pre-amp will add noticeable "warmth" to the vocals that normally would be lacking with this set up

Misc:
DBX patchbay- I will have only 2 input pre's on the M-Box, and I don't want to spend the time wearing out my equipment by plugging/unplugging stuff.

Does this look like a good start? Am I missing something? Currently to get started my mic needs will be met by borrowing a friends MXL 990 from when he was a beginner.

Thanks for your input.

Ted

hargerst

Re: Hello folks....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »

Ted, the bass player wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 10:27

Howdy,

My name is Ted, and I'm "newb" to the forum.

Since I made the trade, I have been doing a bit of research (well, reading all I can tolerate, I should say) and made a rough plan for the so called "studio". Please check them out and lend your suggestions because, well, I'm ignorant on the subject. This is just a studio for me to record song idea with and I am on a very limited budget.

I did go out and purchase a set of Event TR-5 Monitors and some AKG S240S headphones to get me started. Here is the rest of the plan:

Mics:
Sure SM-57 (general micing- amps, etc)
AKC C100OS (acoustic micing, etc)
Rode NT-1000- (vocal recording I am undecided on this though)

Does this look like a good start? Am I missing something? Currently to get started my mic needs will be met by borrowing a friends MXL 990 from when he was a beginner.

Thanks for your input.

Ted

Well, there are a lot better values on the market than an AKG C1000S, so I wouldn't decide on that one just yet.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Ted, the bass player

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 01:35:31 PM »

Harvey,

Thank you for your input- what would you and/or the other experienced forum members suggest? I have heard Octavia (sp?) makes a good mic, but I have never heard of them. I am of the belief a smart person can learn from others experiences and frankly I don't have the dollars to buy one and make a mistake.

Thank you again for your time,
Ted

Fibes

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 01:53:13 PM »

Ted, the bass player wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 13:35

Harvey,

I am of the belief a smart person can learn from others experiences and frankly I don't have the dollars to buy one and make a mistake.

Thank you again for your time,
Ted

Yeah, the c1000 is best left at the store. The Oktava small diamphragm stuff is pretty darn good for the duckets, whadda you think Harvey? Big mic thread?

You can't go wrong with a 57, it'll grow with you and your studio which IMO the c1000 won't. The key is to buy stuff that will be with you until you give up the ghost. Whether or not you give up the ghost with a smile depends on if you wasted money on gimmickry. Then there's that debate about value, bang for the buck and how in most cases they are mutually exclusive.
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Ted, the bass player

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 02:02:09 PM »

Fibes wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 18:537

Yeah, the c1000 is best left at the store. The Oktava small diamphragm stuff is pretty darn good for the duckets, whadda you think Harvey? Big mic thread?

You can't go wrong with a 57, it'll grow with you and your studio which IMO the c1000 won't. The key is to buy stuff that will be with you until you give up the ghost. Whether or not you give up the ghost with a smile depends on if you wasted money on gimmickry. Then there's that debate about value, bang for the buck and how in most cases they are mutually exclusive.

There's a big mic thread? Please point me in that general direction and I'll cease pestering you all, at least until I come back after reading the thread.

Your theory about growth is a good one- it is one I used when building my PA system and thus one I am familiar with. I am aware about the SM-57's utilitarian uses and that is why I choose it- you can't loose with one.

After that, it is a pure recording environment in which I may as well be a lab monkey. At $115-$130 I though the AKG would work nicely and I have read where a lot of "pro" studios have them in their lockers. I have also seen them in a few local studios here in the past. I figured if it was good enough for them, good enough for me.

Perhaps I am wrong?
Ted

hargerst

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:30:10 PM »

Ted, the bass player wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 13:02

There's a big mic thread? Please point me in that general direction and I'll cease pestering you all, at least until I come back after reading the thread.
Ted

It's the "sticky" at the top of this forum. It might answer some of your questions.

Ted, the bass player

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »

hargerst wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 21:30

[It's the "sticky" at the top of this forum. It might answer some of your questions.

Oh wow- thanks. I feel so stupid! Sorry about that.

Okay, I gave the thread a quick once over (holy information overload, Batman...). There is a mention of Octava's "2nd" mics they distributed. This kind of sways me from buying used or from eBay. Where a good place to source the 012's from?

Again, thank you all.

Ted

hargerst

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »

Ted, the bass player wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 19:46

hargerst wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 21:30

[It's the "sticky" at the top of this forum. It might answer some of your questions.

Oh wow- thanks. I feel so stupid! Sorry about that.

Okay, I gave the thread a quick once over (holy information overload, Batman...). There is a mention of Octava's "2nd" mics they distributed. This kind of sways me from buying used or from eBay. Where a good place to source the 012's from?

Again, thank you all.

Ted

Another great source for Oktava is: http://sound-room.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 17 queries.