R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning! Fake VF14 Tubes On EBay!  (Read 35577 times)

Barkley McKay

Re: Warning! Fake VF14 Tubes On EBay!
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »

This is astonishing! Also considering the damage that could be done to microphone. Hope your enquiries make some in roads JJ.

Barkley

J.J. Blair

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »

Wow, you can really see where the designation on the box was eased or sanded off.  What an unscrupulous douche nozzle, this seller is.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 09:21:30 AM »

Humans constantly amaze me.

In ever new ways.

Norm McCleary

Re: VF14 Tube Auction At Record Price
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 06:34:36 AM »

I am back from holiday and now it is time to show the world just how dumb a man can be.

The tube I purchased from this fellow was listed as used in box. The picture showed what appeared to be a new tube. Previous feedback did not indicate a possible ripoff.

I paid approx $1200 for the item. He would accept no payment services and would only accept prepayment to a woman at some other address. Several months and emails went by and the tube turned up. I posted it over to Gunter Wagner to get checked out and get a clean bill of health. While this occured the time for feedback was about to occur so being a trusting fool I gave him positive feed back. A few days later the results come back rather negative. I contacted the seller who said he may be able to replace it for me. The emails went on for months he kept selling them but never replaced mine. Eventually he stopped emailing. I have not bothered to open up but have it on the shelf as a reminder to myself. Norm

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »

What is the name of this seller? What is his eBay user name?

In an earlier post you seemed to indicate that he is the same seller ("Lawerence Pilot") that has offered fake VF14 tubes over many months, and the guy over which I started this thread? If so, one of the victims hired a private detective, who has found out his name, and address and, according to the victim, "Lawerence Pilot", the seller, is now offering a refund.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

Norm McCleary

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 07:32:19 AM »

Hi Klaus, Yes it was the venerable Mr Piolt (I guess he means 'LAWERENCE PILOT' K.H.). However I really cant do much from here (Australia) in regards to this matter. I do hope someone stiches the bastard up. Thanks to all who have commiserated. Regards Norm

J.J. Blair

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »

Wow.  Apparently UF14s are worth hundreds of dollars now, too!  

Courtesy of Sonic Circus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Telefunken-UF14-Tube-NOS-Rare_W0QQitemZ2 30232073348QQihZ013QQcategoryZ113484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

Telefunken UF14 Tube (NOS) Rare!  Starting bid $450.

You are bidding on a Telefunken UF14 tube. The UF14 is the 25volt version of the highly sought after Telefunken VF14. The tube up for auction is new old stock and comes in its original box. The UF14 is identicle to the EF14 and VF14 with a different fillament current. In 1956 Telefunken stoppped the Stahlroehren production and changed to the glass types Rimlock and Noval.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »

Same tube except for filament current? I don't think so, and of course, our esteemed readers know better, because they read and saw the pictures of message #322730 of this thread, and countless posts by our experts before that.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Norm McCleary

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:32 AM »

I was digging around in my emails and found a name and email address for Mr Pilot. It is J Sunnyday.  asunnyday@ix.netcom.com Regards Norm

Billy King

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:18 PM »

Hi everybody,
I never dared to post anything here since there are so many pros here with real knowledge compared to me. But now I think I have to because I am one of these dumbheads who previously won an auction for a VF14M in an unopened box by "lawerencepilot". Here's my story.

My auction ended on Dec 24th, 2007 so I thought I have bought myself a nice 1103$ Christmas present. Only after my third email questioning where to send the money he reacted and said he was on vacation in Germany (but not in Hamburg where I live) and he would be giving me more information when he would be back. I asked him if he could not open up a PayPal account since this would make everything easier and that he should send the tube with FedEx or UPS so it would arrive in 2 to 4 days and I would cover any costs. After nearly 20 emails back and forth the tube arrived here two months later and I had to pay another 120$ at customs where I had to pick it up. I then realized that this was not the item offered at eBay because the box didn't have the M and a different s/n printed on. But I was too afraid to refuse and give it away again since I had expected no tube at all and wanted to have a spare tube anyway.

I now am writing this from a internet cafe but will look up the address of this guy. I have kept his emails. His real name is Ray Castro and he lives somewhere near Palo Alto. Thanks very much for your information so far - I am glad I have not tried out the tube in my U47s. I will now first send it to my buddy Andreas Grosser to check it. I will give more details later if you want me to.

Greetings from Germany,
Billy

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2008, 08:12:09 PM »

Again, you don't even need to send it off initially. You can verify yourself whether it's a UF14 or EF14 (both would qualify as fraud under the terms of the auction you won.)

here is what I wrote:

Quote:

The easiest to measure tell-tale sign whether an otherwise authentic looking octagonal steel tube is truly a VF14 is its heater resistance:

VF14 = ca. 156-160 Ohms
UF14 = ca. 31-35 Ohms
EF14 = less than 5 Ohms

Just stick an ohm meter between the center pin of the array of five pins and the one right next to it on the right. These are the heater terminations. No need to plug the tube in for this test!

The tube in question measured 35 Ohms. This was proof that it was a relabeled UF14 which cannot be used in a U47 and, even after laborious modifications of mic and power supply, will never sound like one either.
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Frankenheimer

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 06:41:13 AM »

Hi Klaus,
is this a real VF14 ?
For me it is.
http://cgi.ebay.at/1-Tube-Telefunken-VF14-NOS-Neumann-spec-U 47-microphon_W0QQitemZ130207991396QQihZ003QQcategoryZ64449QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Franz
Franz Skale
http://dah.am/coding/
DAHAM RECORDINGS and codings

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

It may be real or fake, or new or used. After the desaster of the eBay tubes which lead to this thread, no one can be sure anymore from just looking at a picture on the screen. But, judging from his feedback and his willingness to use PayPal, the seller seems reputable enough, and may be more willing than most to make it right if the buyer is not satisfied (but see below for more on his warranty).

I am having problems with these claims from his auction description:

Quote:

Bid is for one NEW Telefunken VF14 tube! This tube is tested with neumann specification and already burned in

To me, a NEW VF14 is in a box that still has the Telefunken paper seal on it. Otherwise, there is very little proof one can get that such a tube is new. Emissions is certainly not one of the tests for the tube life of a tube which pretty much idles all its life. Regarding the "testing (for) Neumann specification": Such a tube would have Neumann's 'M' stamp. Tubes without that stamp are, by definition, not Neumann tested and approved.

Having said that, there are non-'M' VF14s that work perfectly fine in U47 mics.

The seller mentions some escape clause on his tube warranty, so I would get in touch with him before bidding and ask him under what specific circumstances he will return your money should you not be satisfied.

Best of luck,

Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks

Oliver Archut

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »

Not just the escape clause on the warranty, but after taking a look on his other auction the seller keeps his description pretty wide open with reference to the facts.
A ECC189 is not a replacement for a ECC88, etc. the same (questionable description) as "as tested to Neumann specs and already burned in..."

Did Neumann test the tube? Or is it more like "burned in" in this case is another word for "used"?

Quite sketchy, how about the NOS Telefunken Box?
How about some better pictures?
It is quite hard to see on low quality pictures, but the tube looks repainted.

Best regards,
Oliver Archut
www.tab-funkenwerk.com

We are so advanced, that we can develop technology that can determine how much damage the earth has taken from the development of that technology.

MagnetoSound

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »

How can any tube be both 'NEW' and 'already burned in' anyway?

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.