R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: imp17 interesting thought  (Read 11007 times)

Gabriel F

Re: imp17 interesting thought
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 11:55:13 AM »

i like the idea, but maybe it would be more helpful to do it like a real situation so instead of you suplying your own mix maybe you supply another mix of a track with the vibe you are aiming for ( maybe another hundred years war song).
Like some of us do for example when mixing classic hard rock you check against an ac dc song or something like that.

I mean checking against a mixed version of the same song is very uselful for learning critical listening skills but that situation almost never happen in a normal mixing session.

but i am fine with both ways, i just like to mix and improve my skills.

gabriel fonts.

WallyWest

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 03:47:35 PM »

I'd be up for trying this out if I have Time. It'd be my first Imp.

As still somewhat of a beginner I think this would help me out atleast.

Nice Idea.
Andy Gilson

Greg Dixon

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 04:36:45 PM »

I also think it's a good idea. No matter how long you've been mixing, this sort of exercise can only help develop your ear.

It doesn't matter that it's not a real world situation, it's a good exercise.

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 04:42:57 PM »

another thought is to give you guys the song to mix, then halfway through the week i could post my mix for comparison.  that kinda seems like a pain though.  you'd be making lots of changes after you already had something you liked.

mcsnare

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »

I'm up for it. It's pretty common in the big leagues for labels to give the same song to several mixers to see which one they like best. The bad part is they used to pay regardless, now they usually only pay the winner. So maybe the exercise could be some scenario like this: The band's manager sez, "Here is the last guys' mix. The band likes it but the label is not totally in love with it. Show us whatcha got and if you can top this you get the gig."

Dave

j.hall

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 02:29:53 PM »

i like that idea.

i'll get a song put together and ready to go.

rankus

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Sat, 08 March 2008 17:38

Show us whatcha got and if you can top this you get the gig."
Dave

This would be how I would approach it... "beat me if you can".

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Iain Graham

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

Not sure how totally into it I'd be, and I'll finally be able to do this IMP, but it will be a fantastic challenge. Which may be what's putting me off....

If you're going to do it in mcsnare's label style, you have to be able to say what's wrong with your mix and how you want it bettered. The label would explain what they didn't like or wanted improved.
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

Firefly

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »

I'm game. Had a similar experience recently, where a more experienced engineer mixed a couple of tracks on an album and from there I did the rest. Really learnt a lot, especially things like choosing the right spaces...

ryst

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »

Count me in!
Nathan Schreier

"To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad."

J-Texas

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »

Iain Graham wrote on Sun, 09 March 2008 22:26

If you're going to do it in mcsnare's label style, you have to be able to say what's wrong with your mix and how you want it bettered. The label would explain what they didn't like or wanted improved.

I'm sort of in agreement with this.

J. is there a particular mix you're not 100% happy about? Probably not.  Laughing

Maybe you could just act like the label/client and pretend there was something you wanted done differently.

"... I really liked this guy's mix, but the [blank] could be more/less [blank]." You know... something like that?

If the mix was perfect, then there would be no reason to give it to another engineer. Right?

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

T. Goodwin

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 04:47:14 PM »

rankus wrote on Sun, 09 March 2008 15:49

This would be how I would approach it... "beat me if you can".

what happens if we do?  Razz

j.hall

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 07:30:48 PM »

Iain Graham wrote on Sun, 09 March 2008 22:26

that's not been my experience, but i'm happy to do that if you want.

i've always gotten, "what can you do with this?"  or, "can you do any better?"  and you're on your own to deal with it.

SingSing

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »

I think it's a brilliant idea Jason. Though I'm thinking these last IMP's have steered towards more conformity than earlier. Maybe it's the songs or maybe we've learned what our 'audience' wants. But I like the idea of you acting as a virtual "band/manager/A&R/label". As an added extra, maybe namedrop a few bands or songs to put us in the right mood?

Anyways, I'm in.

Stefan
SingSing

j.hall

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

SingSing wrote on Tue, 11 March 2008 13:45

I think it's a brilliant idea Jason. Though I'm thinking these last IMP's have steered towards more conformity than earlier. Maybe it's the songs or maybe we've learned what our 'audience' wants. But I like the idea of you acting as a virtual "band/manager/A&R/label". As an added extra, maybe namedrop a few bands or songs to put us in the right mood?

Anyways, I'm in.

Stefan
SingSing

let me address a few points here, because i agree with some and think they need some explaining.

1.  IMP becoming conformist:

i think i am some what to blame for that.  the past 3 i've taken a much firmer stance to my own opinions.  i was thinking that being wishy washy and leaving large holes for people to jump through wasn't really helping.

like this, me saying, "i think the kick could use more bottom, but that's just my opinion"  the responses were typically, "well, i like it like that and that's exactly what i was going for."  OR, "i didn't have enough time to really work it"

so, i've decided to take my opinion out of the picture and make it (my opinion) more of a fact based statement.  my hope was to stop getting excuses and start teaching people something.

in doing so, i think people just tried to mix in a manner that wouldn't "bring me out"

ALSO, i think IMP is working.  i'm hearing a lot of improvements in people's work over the last year.

2.  maybe it's the songs:

indeed it is that as well.  i've been picking more "top 40" style songs in the attempt to eliminate some of my opinion as just opinion.

plus i strongly believe that thick guitar rock is the hardest thing to mix well.

i fully plan on returning IMP to a broader brush stroke of genres and art.

i think for this imp i'm going to have a few different submission threads.  a choose your own adventure type thing.

same song, however path one you decided to listen to my mix and try to copy it.  path 2 you listened to my mix, read the text document of things i wanted changed and tried to beat my mix.  path three, you don't listen or read and just mix the tune the way you want.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.