R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aria Electronics Vs. Manley Vs. EAR  (Read 4569 times)

twilightoftheidols

Aria Electronics Vs. Manley Vs. EAR
« on: May 15, 2004, 07:05:55 PM »

Has anyone had a chance to compare ATR Service's One Two 1" 2-Track with Dave Hill's Aria Electronics to a reconditioned Studer C37 from Tim de Paravicini's Esoteric Audio Research, or either machine with Manley's tube electronics?  Is any one of them especially good for a particular type of music?  I know this is a pretty obscure comparison, but I'm in the market for a high end 2-Track and would love to hear some input from anyone who might be able to offer it.

bblackwood

Re: Aria Electronics Vs. Manley Vs. EAR
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:12:53 AM »

Never used any of them in the studio, but based on comments from user, I would think Aria are the elctronics to beat...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Plush

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 05:45:28 PM »

May I counter to say that the de Paravicini electronics are the
set-up to beat? Too bad they are in such limited production.
Hudson Fair
Atelier HudSonic, Chicago

http://www.myspace.com/hudsonek

Bodyslam

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 11:16:35 PM »

I have some experience with the EAR, since I have a one-inch ATR with that setup. I absolutely love it. The deck was built by Mike Spitz (ATR Services) and the heads by Greg Orton (Flux Magnetics.) I couldn't be happier with the work that both of these guys did. The whole package--deck, heads and EAR electronics--were designed to work together, and boy do they ever. I am always happy when a job is on that format, it just sounds so delicious.

I have only heard the Aria electronics on playback...but since it was one-inch, and one of my own tapes, I felt I had a pretty good basis for a first impression. I thought the sound was great.

There's a guy in town with an Aria/ATR one inch, we've talked about getting them together for a comparison. But since these decks don't fit easily in your back pocket, it may be a while.

Even without that, however, I liked the Aria well enough that I'm planning to buy a set for another deck I'm outfitting (half inch and quarter inch.)

I have no experience with the Manley tape electronics.

My first exposure to the one inch format was several years back when I was mastering projects for Kavi Alexander. He brought along his Studer C37 that had been built for him by Tim de Paravicini. The machine was pretty cantankerous, but hooee! did it sound great. I decided then that I'd get one some day. I was very pleased to find that Mike Spitz was making one inch versions of the ATR and Tim de Paravicini was making an electronics package for the ATR. That was the exact combo I wanted, and I have not been disappointed.

Although I don't usually cross-post to multiple forums (fora?) but in this case I'm posting this information to the Gearslutz thread mentioned above, plus some stuff relating to that discussion that's off topic here.
Paul Stubblebine

<a href="http://www.paulstubblebine.com" target="_blank">http://www.paulstubblebine.com</a>
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 17 queries.