R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Click Track  (Read 2979 times)

Cerumen

Click Track
« on: May 18, 2004, 03:54:51 PM »

A click track bled into two instrument tracks.  Is there a way to remove it digitally?

Thanks.
Jorge Hernandez

josh

Re: Click Track
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 04:24:24 PM »

Cerumen wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 20:54

A click track bled into two instrument tracks.  Is there a way to remove it digitally?

Thanks.

Do you still have the (approximate at least) setup (mic position, gain, EQ, headphone level) in place, or good notes where you could reconstruct it?  You could stick the headphones (assuming it bled from headphones) on a pillow or something and duct tape it to the end of a mic stand to approximate the position of the player's head, make another recording of *just* the click bleeding into the mics, then flip the phase and mix it with the real track and see if you can cancel out some of the click.

Less effectively, you might just bounce the click to another track, flip the phase, play with timing and EQ and see if you can mix it with the acoustic inst. tracks and get it to cancel.  

At best you'll be able to mask it a bit, maybe enough that it does not really stick out.

This is a major problem in my studio FWIW.

You could always notch filter it.  Depending on the click sound, you probably can isolate the frequency of the click and EQ it out with a really steep EQ setting.  Might sound better or worse than the subtraction technique.

None of these of course are digital techniques, other than the fact that you can do them on a digital system.

Best of luck...  that's a bummer when that happens.

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »

Sure.  In Pro Tools you just highlight the region, press delete and start again.

But seriously, you can delete the regions between the vocals or whatever it is that you want.  I remember one time we added a tamborine overdub to mask the click leakage.  It was better than hearing the stupid click!

This happens once to everyone.  You will know to avoid it next time.\

Steve

Cerumen

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 04:30:53 PM »

Actually, the click track got recorded on two instrument tracks (the bass and guitar).  The engineer somehow patched it in to those tracks.  I'm thinking the only solution is to re-record those two tracks.
Jorge Hernandez

Fibes

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 04:43:12 PM »

Ahh the clicking bass and guitar. I've tracked the singing snare before. Fortunately I was able to make it work at mix time.

Retracking may be the quickest method...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Loco

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 07:43:08 PM »

Cerumen wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 16:30

Actually, the click track got recorded on two instrument tracks (the bass and guitar).  The engineer somehow patched it in to those tracks.  I'm thinking the only solution is to re-record those two tracks.

That one is actually  lot easier. Get a sample of the click on the offended track. Put it  on a parallel track, align it, repeat it over. Now, flip the phase and put it at the same level of the original track.

Now, this is the important part: Make sure you apply the same processing to both tracks. Either by applying the same plugins to both tracks or routing both tracks to an aux an processing there.

I've done it before. It's almost perfect.
Carlos "El Loco" Bedoya

"There's no right, there's no wrong. There's only popular opinion"   Jeffrey Goines
http://www.tukanart.com

Cerumen

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 10:18:59 PM »

thanks loco, i'll have the engineer try that.
Jorge Hernandez
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.