R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where is my bass?  (Read 10674 times)

C.Cash

where is my bass?
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »

I have been listening to a bunch of my favorite albums in my new  Control Room. Everything sounds wonderful and clear especially the mids. However, I think I have lost some of the bass response. Is it possible that I have too much bass traps?
My CR is small so I tried to make it pretty dead but I am only using Lenrd traps.My monitors are Event SP8's so I'm sure they are not the problem.
 I have bass but its not punchy.

Thanks,

Clifford.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Steve Hudson

Re: where is my bass?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »

More likely you still have too little bass trapping and your listening position is in a null. I've heard of making a room too dead from a broadband perspective but never heard of too much bass trapping per se.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson should have said this, but didn't

http://www.myspace.com/steventoddhudson

Ethan Winer

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Mon, 03 March 2008 11:48

Is it possible that I have too much bass traps?

Steve has the right answer. It's impossible to make any domestic size room perfectly flat. The more bass traps you have, the closer to flat you'll get. As more traps are added the perception is usually more bass, not less. However, in some rooms and some listening positions the peaks are more damaging than the nulls. In that case adding more traps does reduce the amount of bass, but then less bass is flatter too.

--Ethan

C.Cash

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:25:48 PM »

So that means I am closer to flat?
This is good?
I can hear the bass very clearly but,....I don't feel it like I do in my car or on the house stereo.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »

You will perceive more bass "thump" in a car because you feel the bass through the seats and anything else your body is touching. Have you acoustically treated the room where your stereo is? If not, you may be hearing a bass bump. Neither environment is a good reference for what you should be hearing in a properly-treated control room (though they may be great references for how your mixes translate in these types of listening conditions).
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

C.Cash

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »

Thanks, I guess its now a matter of learning my monitors.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

Or add a couple more corner traps and determine if that helps or not. You might also make small adjustments to the position of the monitors, that can make a big difference.

C.Cash

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 04:41:56 PM »

A friend has some Realtraps, I will borrow a couple and try them instead of the Lenrds, the room is so small I figured the Lenrds would be enough. The monitors are also sitting directly on my desk shelves, I will put something underneath them and I will move them slightly and see what happens.

Thanks,

Clifford.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

Your intuition about a smaller room needing less trapping is actually wrong. The smaller the room, the more trapping it will generally need to tame those pesky low freqs.

rankus

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:20:38 PM »

Try moving your speakers around:  shooting the long way then the short way etc.

Also, try walking around the room while playing back.  Are there spots where the bass is reinforced, and other spots where it's more pronounced? (Checking for nulls)

Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

C.Cash

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 07:11:15 AM »

I walked around last night,one of the corners was bass heavy!
I will have the Realtraps tomorrow.
So, if I control the bass in the corner what will this do to the bass in the listening position?

Thanks,

Clifford.

Ethan Winer

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Mon, 03 March 2008 16:41

A friend has some Realtraps, I will borrow a couple and try them instead of the Lenrds, the room is so small I figured the Lenrds would be enough.

Our MiniTraps are effective to a much lower frequency than LENRDs and will help a small room much more. MondoTraps are even more effective. Both also have a larger surface area, which is equally important.

Quote:

if I control the bass in the corner what will this do to the bass in the listening position?

Corner bass traps make the LF response flatter. Peaks are lowered and nulls are raised.

--Ethan

mbruce333

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:21:35 PM »

C.Cash wrote on Tue, 04 March 2008 04:11

I walked around last night,one of the corners was bass heavy!
I will have the Realtraps tomorrow.
So, if I control the bass in the corner what will this do to the bass in the listening position?

Thanks,

Clifford.

See if this helps...

If you have reduced bass energy at the listening position, it means the energy that is missing is actually collecting somewhere else in the room.  Finding where in the room the energy is collecting and treating it will help the energy distribute around the room more evenly...hopefully making the response a little more even at the listening position.

Mike Bruce
www.AuricleAudioMagic.com
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

Ethan Winer

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »

Yes, and in smaller rooms the worst nulls are usually caused by the reflections off the wall behind the listener.

--Ethan

C.Cash

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »

My walls and ceiling are entirely covered in the Auralex 2" foam and all the corners have Lenrds,(this was all left over).
I am going to wate till weekend to borrow the Realtraps as I have been ill this week.
 So not only should they be in the corners, but directly behind as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.