R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Wired Science": A vs. D episode on PBS...  (Read 1333 times)

breathe

"Wired Science": A vs. D episode on PBS...
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:14:55 AM »

Did any of you catch that "Wired Science" episode on PBS where analog recording was supposedly compared to digital recording?  Personally I found their method of comparison impossibly bizarre -  there's no way the testing subjects could be listening to anything other than a digital recording the whole listening test.  I'm a friend of the sound mixer for the whole "Wired Science" series and I e-mailed him about my recent experience with setting up a 'Direct Drive' turntable in my studio's green room stereo.  

My previous (broken) turntable was 'belt drive', and using a high quality Grado cartridge with that turntable I felt I was getting a very pure representation of my vinyl records into my excellent receiver feeding Mission speakers.  With this Direct Drive turntable, also using a Grado cartridge, I felt that the sound of my records was much stiffer sounding.  I have my studio's Coleman Audio passive speaker controller hooked up to my green room's receiver and am thus able to hear (for e.g.) my MP3's on my studio's computer on my green room's receiver, and I found the MP3's more cathartic to listen to than my excellent vinyl collection.  

I concluded that there are aspects of analog reproduction that degrade sound in very much the same way as digital degradation does.  As far as my 'test' was concerned, both mediums were subject to what I would call a 'disruption of the fluidity of the time flow' in the reproduction medium.  I have experienced this problem in different kinds of wire, different digital clocks, different A/D/A, different DSP, and different microphones/speakers of course.  I would like to postulate that the fundamental audible difference between so called "analog" and so called "digital" is a fidelity problem that is shared by both mediums.

Your thoughts?

Nicholas

MagnetoSound

Re: "Wired Science": A vs. D episode on PBS...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 04:00:44 PM »

Quote:

.... a 'disruption of the fluidity of the time flow' ....

index.php/fa/7868/0/

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 18 queries.