R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorable Hypex amplifier review...  (Read 60604 times)

jdg

Re: Favorable Hypex amplifier review...
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

a local guy here just picked up a pass x.250. (mike bruce)
we do have plans to try both amps at his place and mine.

should be fun!
john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

zmix

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

jdg wrote on Fri, 14 March 2008 12:02

should be fun!

John,
When you do, please start a new thread about it... m'kay?

Can't wait!

Darius van H

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »

Comparing amps is difficult......if the difference isn't night & day, then there's plenty of room for us to convince ourselves of something based on our own pre-conceptions.

My Cello Duet 350 is a very good amp, so i wasn't expecting a big difference.

Sooo, i think that the Hypex has lower distortion, better control, more definition. At first i thought it seemed a bit dull compared to the Cello, but i think that could be lack of high frequency distortion. Anyway, as soon as i can get some cases made the Cello is gone.

mbruce333

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »

jdg wrote on Fri, 14 March 2008 09:02

should be fun!

Just checked the tracking on my new (to me) X250, should be here next Thursday.  We'll have to get together soon and compare.

Comparing amps by yourself is tough, so it'll be nice to have another set of hands to swap the speaker cables.  Comparing a borrowed Pass X3 (thanks again, Bruce Brown) to my Rotel RB-1080 was not too tough.  The difference was pretty clear!  To be sure, I had a friend come over and do the cable swapping trick out of my view and there was never a doubt which one was the Pass.  I'm guessing the differences will be smaller between the Hypex and the X250.  

Should be fun!

Mike Bruce
www.AuricleAudioMagic.com
www.myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering
Mike Bruce
myspace.com/auricleaudiomastering

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »

i am really looking forward to the comparisons ...

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

crna59

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »

jdg wrote on Fri, 14 March 2008 11:02

should be fun!

You and Mike should come over to my place and compare it to my big boys, the XA series!

Regards,
Bruce
Puget Sound Studios
Bruce A. Brown
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission! Buy! Buy buy....  

mbruce333

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »

crna59 wrote on Mon, 17 March 2008 12:56

jdg wrote on Fri, 14 March 2008 11:02

should be fun!

You and Mike should come over to my place and compare it to my big boys, the XA series!

Regards,
Bruce

What, you don't want to lug those over to mine and John's place? C'mon man, they are so easy to move and light...right?  
Just moving the x250 will be tough enough...my back hurts just thinking about moving your XA's! Laughing

We should have an "Amp Summit" at your place after we get to hear them in our own rooms...could be interesting!

Thanks again for the use of the X3, by the way.  I'll give you a ring to figure out when we can get together...

Mike Bruce
Mike Bruce

Patrik T

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »

Ross Hogarth wrote on Mon, 17 March 2008 17:42

i am really looking forward to the comparisons ...

I'm more interested in if the new great powers affects the translation to the (ever so distorting) outside world in a radical manner or not.

Would be interesting to actually hear something that was cut by someone who changed from a pass (or something similar) to hypex.

Like one day one specific tune is mastered, no notes are taken of any settings in order to easily forget about it - next day same tune, same chain but with "the new" amp.

Could end up as two downloadable versions for anyone here to grab and check out. Or is it an impossible task?

Best Regards
Patrik

Croger

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

so i switched back to the brystons for part of the day.  I immediatly noticed a difference.  the brystons are easier to listen to.  but I work harder at my mixes.  and I listen louder with them.  so I switched back to the Hypex at the end of the day. I prefer the hypex.  I got used to the clean (and a bit clinical) and revealing sound.  the high end and mid range is definitely more extended sounding on the hypex.  and the low end more defined.  but the bryston seems more heavy at the bottom though.  just a tad.  I'm sticking with the hypex.  
____Roger

jdg

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

^^^^
my exact feeling vs my bryston.

john mcCaig
-Mothery Earworks Clarifold Audipure

mbruce333

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »

Patrik T wrote on Mon, 17 March 2008 15:57

I'm more interested in if the new great powers affects the translation to the (ever so distorting) outside world in a radical manner or not.

Would be interesting to actually hear something that was cut by someone who changed from a pass (or something similar) to hypex.

Like one day one specific tune is mastered, no notes are taken of any settings in order to easily forget about it - next day same tune, same chain but with "the new" amp.

Could end up as two downloadable versions for anyone here to grab and check out. Or is it an impossible task?

Best Regards
Patrik

While I love this idea in concept, I think it would very difficult to pull off in practice.  Too many variables from day to day besides the amp.  It would be tough to know if the differences were due to the amp or some other factor.

For me, the decision to change or stay with pretty much any piece of gear is this:  Would this gear change the way I would work?  If the difference in a new piece of gear is very small, but not enough to change the outcome of the final product, then I pass.  I just don't have the budget (yet...hehe) to do otherwise.  

I still don't know about Pass/Hypex comparison, but I can say that the difference between the Rotel and the Pass was big enough that it absolutely changes the way I work.  I'm also pretty curious to hear the difference between the Pass X3 that I'm using at the moment, and the X250 that's on the way.  I don't think the difference will be huge, but you never know...  Very Happy

Mike Bruce

Ross Hogarth

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 02:31:56 PM »

Has any of you ever tried or use the HotHouse amp ?

have you ever compared this to the Hypex ?

The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

www.hoaxproductions.com

Hallams

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2008, 11:39:22 PM »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but are these digital amps or is the design fundamentally different and new going on with these amps.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

MDM,

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »

class D

I'm interested in these amps.

has anyone played back a good analog source on them to see how it translates?

I read in a tnt review online that he heard the digital grain coming through on the hypex amps, when switching from an analog source.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

bblackwood

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

Hallams wrote on Wed, 19 March 2008 22:39

Sorry if this has been covered before, but are these digital amps or is the design fundamentally different and new going on with these amps.

There's really no such thing as a 'digital' amp, they are class D.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 20 queries.