R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV/camera monitoring systems  (Read 2821 times)

mmazurek

TV/camera monitoring systems
« on: February 22, 2008, 02:22:43 PM »

What types of cameras/video screens are appropriate for a new studio build?

I've got a control room in my den, and my recording spaces will all be in the basement.  (maybe 50 foot cable runs to the control room max)

I'll probably look at one of the sub$1000 LCD's for the control room, but what about the recording rooms?  (3 rooms) Prices on LCD's and such are all coming WAY down lately.  (Just saw a few $599 37" screens)

Also, what types of cameras are the most useful?  What type of resolution should I be looking for?  Are security type cameras the way to go?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

franman

Re: TV/camera monitoring systems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »

Mark,

There are so many ways to go on this subject:
1. IP Cams, 2. Webcams, 3. Security type SD Cams... I would reply by saying what is your goal? Do you simply need visual connection with average quality? If so, IP and WebCam type products would work. If you are going to put up large format LCD monitors, the resolution of the cameras will come into play... Some of these cams are 2MP, but some are much less. A 1MP camera should display ok on an HD display, but remember there will be issues of frame rate as well.

Now... let me say I am NOT an expert on video... We have a few customers who have spent a lot of time and money putting in video communication systems for remote recording rooms to control rooms. I've seen it done so many ways, that as with most things, it comes down to 'you get what you pay for'.. Having said that, I suggest you evaluate your needs (and wants) for the system and shop accordingly (by price).

LCD displays will continue to get cheaper and cheaper until the next resolution advancement (2K/4K HD) becomes available to the consumer.. don't know how long that will be. (let's see what shows up at NAB this year). Watch tigerdirect.com for some absolutely stupid pricing on HD LCD TV's... that's where I would buy mine!!

Let us know what you come up with... as I'm sure there are others who are wondering about similar subject... thanks!!

fm
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

mmazurek

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:31:18 AM »

Yes, the stupid pricing on 'off brand' HD flat panels is what prompted the questions and research.  (There's a TigerDirect warehouse store a few miles from me.)

I've been researching the 'high resolution' security cams, and they all seem to max out around 500+ TV lines of resolution.  If I'm going with the nicer displays, I'd like to take advantage of the resolution as much as is reasonable.

I'm looking for eye to eye communication between control room and musicians.
Most likely three rooms plus control room.  The control room will probably have a bigger LCD (42"+) to display up to four cameras in the rooms.

Frame rate is definitely an issue.  A nice crisp smooth view is the goal.

Suggestions from anyone are welcome.

gullfo

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

i'll chip in (without much expertise)that in addition to cameras and TVs, you might need to consider a video switcher/mixer for "visual foldback" control between rooms, recording/playback, and showing multiple displays per TV (instead of multiple TVs), being able to centrally manage, record, and monitor etc. which can then easily add several thousands of dollars to the equation. also some cameras use coax, ethernet, wireless, etc all with various degrees of quality. a good quality (near DV) video camera purpose-built is likely to run $400+. you might almost consider getting some $200 camcorders and wiring them up via firewire into a PC/Mac and some sort of software to re-broadcast to TVs...
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/

duckhunter

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »

We have video monitoring in the drum room, vocal booth, live room and console room.  Works like a charm.  Each room has a switch to change what he wants to see, but right now only one view is possible.  Our next purchase is a Clover color Digital quad Splitter. You can buy them at Sams for $148.  This will split your signal and permit one to view 4 cameras simultaneously on a single LCD.  We bought our cameras at Sams, too, for less than $60 a piece...some wireless and some hard wired.  I prefer the wireless.
Studio 89

gullfo

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:34:27 PM »

cool! seems like a cost effective solution if you are able to pipe the result into several video monitor's with a line amplifier or VGA/DVI hub.
Glenn Stanton

www.runnel.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.