R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Semi mobile set up  (Read 6718 times)

n8ontrike

Semi mobile set up
« on: May 17, 2004, 02:30:02 PM »

So I am taking the plunge, slowly albeit, but starting. I am very close to taking out a loan for my start up system and wanted to get some feedback on a semi mobile setup for niche recording.

There are a few really great studios where I live (Knoxville, TN) that cater to the high end, or "we finally have enough $ to go to studio XYZ muso types," so I am really going after the huge indie market around here. Going to their shows for live tracking, as well as completely room based overdubs will be the main stay of this workhorse. I will be based off a 1.5 ghz Powerbook

Sadly mixing OTB isn't an option at the moment.
I'll need at least 8 analog in on an interface (preferably pre-amped). I will go Alsihad if necessary but have been leaning more towards Logic for my DAW. Any good plug-ins recommendations would also be appreciated.

My, um, vox/ect channel strip, is Joe Meek VC6. So that's as moist as it gets for the moment. I've got mic flavors covered so that's not a concern either.

So..., if anyone out there is/has run something similar I'd love to hear your success/horror stories.

the n8tive

John Klett

Re: Semi mobile set up
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:40:15 PM »

A couple guys I know swear by the Metric Halo stuff for doing remotes.  You can record files and work in whatever editor/workstation software you want.  

I use a Genex or MX2424...  I'm ascared of firewire on remote recordings.  I lost my partitions on one remote gig and boy was that embarrassing!  The cable fell out.  They don't really lock.  I ain't gonna do that again.
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

n8ontrike

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 04:54:02 PM »

Metric Halo, hmm I'll have to see if I can find one to test out. I don't know so much about that particular line, but keep hearing good things about it.

And I'm really leaning more toward Logic. So not being reliant on PT hardware would be great. Anyone heard of a Sound Replacer type plug for Logic? Because I've heard some of the kits I'll be recording and all the micing/tuning/etc in the world is only going to get me close. But I do love a challenge!

Thanks for recommendation!

n8

RMoore

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 04:56:25 PM »

That would be the MHalo own recording software which is supposed to be rock solid for live location recording.  

As I understand - there are issues for some people with DP, Logic etc that can be a bummer during a live recording situation, which is why many of the big MH location recording headz switched to the MH recording software (included free in the newest drivers !) - which is supposed to work 100% flawlessly and sound good too.

I myself use the MIO 2882 / Logic for multitrack work, location recording (non live), and I can say its sure gotten good with the latest drivers they recently put out which fixed numerous bugs & added cool features like the REC function, and 'sort of' DSP implementation for DSP users.

Your cheapest locations for the MH stuff in the USA are:

www.warhog.com
www.8thstreetmusic.com
People's Republic of Ryan

http://www.myspace.com/twilightcircus
 http://www.youtube.com/user/Ryonik

By the end of today, another day is gone forever. You will never get it back.
We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take - Wayne Gretzky

Jeremy-PR

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 12:41:56 AM »

I am doing something very similar and doing it with the Metric Halo stuff. I can't recommend it enough. Those units sound amazing, and they are scalable.

As for Logic, wait about a month and buy the new release. it's "supposed" to be out in June. IMO the best DAW software out there.  

John Klett

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 09:08:50 AM »

right - and to clarify

You don't need to fire Logic up when you are recording - use the Mhalo software for that

Once you have the files safely recorded and backed up - when you are home or wherever - you open them up in Logic and do your post production
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

grock5

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 12:39:18 PM »

I can't seem to find any info about Metric Halo's recording software on their website.

Is it stable? What file format does it record in? Can you edit?

- Gary

n8ontrike

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:31:12 PM »

Thanks for all the help guys, it's great to have the opinions of the experienced, rather than the sales division! I didn't know Logic was updating so soon, that's good to know as i was going to buy it tonight.

Now to see if I can get a hold of one of the Metric boxes to put through it's paces.

Thanks again.
then8tive

RMoore

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »

<I can't seem to find any info about Metric Halo's recording software on their website.>

Its embedded in the current driver.

Its like some kind of best kept secret//

< Is it stable? What file format does it record in? Can you edit?>

Supposedly very.
I think SDII only, not sure if there is a choice.
No edits - only straight one time recording and playback, you have to drag the files to your DAW of choice otherwise.
Its very basic - hence the stability factor I think

We must never let up for a second. Work harder at every single thing - Terry Manning

grock5

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 08:23:10 PM »

Ryan Moore wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 18:48

No edits - only straight one time recording and playback, you have to drag the files to your DAW of choice otherwise.
Its very basic - hence the stability factor I think

Will the MH software allow overdubs?

- Gary

RMoore

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 01:28:33 AM »

No - no overdubs, no edits - its record in 'one hit' style & playback only.
Thats why its so reliable - almost no features.
Its meant for location live recording as opposed to DAW style multitracking / overdubbing / editing etc..at least in its current incarnation

Erik

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 01:57:31 AM »

Metric Halo has done some pretty shady shit over the years and repeatedly released some outright broken and/or "unfinished" products.

They're a couple guys in a garage -- not that there's anything wrong with that -- but they don't seem to be particularly smart or capable guys in a garage.

Fave story: last day of AES, customer points out that the gain control on their mic pre is reversed.  Clockwise is quieter, not louder.

Metric Halo response: "Oh yeah, the guy who builds this stuff is dyslexic, sometimes he gets the stuff backwards."

On the demo unit.  At AES.  Day 4.

Morons.

Even from reports here among the brainwashed, they still don't have the thing working with Logic and Digital Performer, and instead of fixing the problem, they've written their own little 'mini record app.'

A quick scan of the forums will reveal this to be a tried and true Metric Halo 'damage control' technique.

It's a damn I/O box.  What do you mean it doesn't work 100% with Logic and Digital Performer?  

Even Digi hardware works with Logic and Digital Performer!

If you're going to record with a computer, pick reputable products from a reputable company.  If you want to go "no computer for reliability" there are options there.

But Metric Halo makes no sense either way.

--Erik
Erik Gavriluk, Bomb Factory Recording Studios
"The modern trouble is not the use of machinery, but the abuse of it." --Gustav Stickley, 1909

Otto Ruiter

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 12:58:16 AM »

Congratulations to Erik for being the first person to make my "ignore" list.

Giovani gill

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2004, 07:51:44 PM »

I have a Moble setup in adition to my Main setup,
... now for over a year , so far never a problem ( knock on wood ).!

I am running a laptop as well , with a Digi 002,
It is better than I ever expected, and a happy with this stability and features...
Give it a look as well, Chris has one as well with a BP 17 as well.
works great, looks good with the clients as well.
Best of luck to you .  ,   GG

Mark Lemaire

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 03:11:11 AM »

Jeez, Otto! I don't see what makes you want to 'ignore' Erik's posts. I thought that his take on MH, while possibly a bit hard-assed, seems well-informed and imparts information that I haven't seen anywhere else...

That said, I'm using Pyramix on location. I'd be happy to say a few things about that, if anyone's interested.

sincerely

Mark Lemaire
Mark Lemaire

http://www.myspace.com/MarkLemaire

http://www.rubatorecording.com/
Audiophile recording of your music. Anywhere. Anytime.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 19 queries.