R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with BNC word clock connection  (Read 2641 times)

Eliott James

Need help with BNC word clock connection
« on: May 17, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm trying to use a Mytek Workstation 24 as the master clock, going to a Layla 24 interface. Shouldn't be hard because both have word clock in and out. Except...
The Mytek uses the standard BNC female on the unit, so a BNC male cable will plug right into it, no problem. The Layla 24 uses a male BNC on the back of their unit. So I need a special cable or an adapter. Visiting Radio shack for an adapter I found the standard female hookups, but they won't insert into the barrel of the Layla BNC. Too big. It seems I need an adapter that slips OVER the hookup instead of going into the hookup. A female BNC that slips OVER a male BNC chassis mount. Can't find such a thing.

There's probably a simple answer and I just don't realize it. Calling Echo (who makes Layla) said they have never run into problems with this, so what's up?

Thanks

John Ivan

Re: Need help with BNC word clock connection
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 11:05:12 PM »

Hmmm,, Strange. It's been my experience that the word clock connectors I've run into on the back of audio gear has all been male. This is true of my sync card on my DA-88's and on my old LAYLA card as well. I built female to female 75 ohm cables and they hook right  up.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

John Klett

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:04:01 PM »

I'm a little puzzled by your connector dilemma but a BNC turn around would do it if it is just a sex problem...

John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

crm0922

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 02:44:50 AM »

Dude, your Layla has a female BNC on it, the one with the metal ring w/ the two bumps on it.  Not the connector that spins around to lock onto it.  Both devices should have the same female connector and require a standard Male-to-Male BNC cable.  Be sure to get a 75 ohm cable, BTW.

Unless your Layla24 has been modified it has a female BNC.  Mine does.

Chris

EJ wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 13:12

Hi guys,
I'm trying to use a Mytek Workstation 24 as the master clock, going to a Layla 24 interface. Shouldn't be hard because both have word clock in and out. Except...
The Mytek uses the standard BNC female on the unit, so a BNC male cable will plug right into it, no problem. The Layla 24 uses a male BNC on the back of their unit. So I need a special cable or an adapter. Visiting Radio shack for an adapter I found the standard female hookups, but they won't insert into the barrel of the Layla BNC. Too big. It seems I need an adapter that slips OVER the hookup instead of going into the hookup. A female BNC that slips OVER a male BNC chassis mount. Can't find such a thing.

There's probably a simple answer and I just don't realize it. Calling Echo (who makes Layla) said they have never run into problems with this, so what's up?

Thanks

Eliott James

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 06:36:49 PM »

Dude (who says this?)

I know a male BNC when I see one. There's a brass contact coming out of where there should be a female connection. There's also 2 bumps on the outside of the connector. I guess Echo messed this one up.

I've slipped a male connector cable to run into the Echo BNC and the contacts are touching side by side. Not the best way for sure but it's working. Unless it fails I'm going to leave it that way. Otherwise I'll switch out the bad connector and replace it with a female.

crm0922

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 08:08:07 AM »

EJ wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 18:36

Dude (who says this?)

I know a male BNC when I see one. There's a brass contact coming out of where there should be a female connection. There's also 2 bumps on the outside of the connector. I guess Echo messed this one up.

I've slipped a male connector cable to run into the Echo BNC and the contacts are touching side by side. Not the best way for sure but it's working. Unless it fails I'm going to leave it that way. Otherwise I'll switch out the bad connector and replace it with a female.

It sounds like your BNC is damaged wherein the center socket on the inside of the Layla's BNC is incomplete, probably only half of a pinching type arrangement is still in there.

It is a male if it has the 2 bump things on it.  The female has the grooves to catch those bumps.

http://www.abccables.com/nf-20.html

I'd probably try replacing the connector altogether.  Intermittent word clock can cause lots of jitter and other problems.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.