R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Izotope Ozone  (Read 6422 times)

Len

Izotope Ozone
« on: May 17, 2004, 05:14:32 AM »

AS risk of being lynched  Embarassed (but this is the "Mastering Demystified" forum after all) - has anyone here made a quality comparison of Izotope's Ozone as against both hardware and software mastering tools?

No I'm not thinking that, for example, the Ozone EQ is going to be as smooth as the Weiss/Prism/Masselec EQs that some of you use, but just wondering what you thought about the quality of the software.

The reality is that while I would always recommend that a mastering engineer be engaged to master a project, the client may not always have the funds and prefers to have it done in-house.

I have had good results with the Sonalksis EQ and Compressor so far but was wondering what people thought of Ozone.  Unfortunately I do not have a rack of Masselecs/Neves/Weiss to compare with!

Len

Ronny

Re: Izotope Ozone
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 11:31:23 AM »

I demo'd Ozone a couple of years ago. I didn't care for the interface and the sound didn't knock me out, so I didn't purchase it. From what I've heard from others, there are a few project users, but not too many high end ME's using it.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

MASSIVE Mastering

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:17:20 PM »

Leonard Ng wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 04:14

Unfortunately I do not have a rack of Masselecs/Neves/Weiss to compare with!

To compare Ozone to hardware, you'd need a rack of Behringer/Alesis/Alto.   Laughing  Thank you, I'll be here all week.

If you've got Sonalksis or UAD, don't waste your time with Ozone.  Your mileage may vary.
John Scrip
Massive Mastering - Chicago (Schaumburg / Hoffman Est.), IL - USA

duaneadam

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:43:19 AM »

I have the newest version of Ozone as well as some of the hardware units you mentioned. I have to admit as my facility gets better, I tend to use plugins less often and Ozone hasn't found its way onto a project for a long time. How does the EQ or limiter compare to a Weiss? It doesn't. It has that digital hardness that you find on most plugins and it hogs too much CPU power to use on individual tracks.

One reason to keep it handy though are the dozens of two buss presets. There are times that a mix just doesn't sing and running it through these presets can give you a quick, new  perspective.

Duaneadam

Len

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:42:04 AM »

Ah, I thought so.  Its funny - you see on some other forums e.g. digifreq where people hype up Ozone, but what are their credentials?  

Its like that bloody BBE Sonic Maximizer I bought on the basis of all those glowing reviews (in magazines and on some other sites).  It is, without a doubt, the worst sounding plugin I have.  Wanna screw up your sound?  Want brittle highs and clouded lows? Hey - put it through the BBE Sonic Maximizer!  Its unbelievable how that plugin simply degrades the sound even at microscopically low settings.

I guess Ozone may not be too far ahead.

I know I know, download the demo.  But my music computer is not linked to the Internet and its a pain to transfer by CDRs each time.

Len

OTR-jkl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:41:26 PM »

Quote:

But my music computer is not linked to the Internet...
Me either.

Quote:

...and its a pain to transfer by CDRs each time.

but well worth the added safety of isolation!

BTW - last time I demo-ed Ozone, I was not impressed...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Fibes

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51:21 PM »

I'm not an ME but i'll be damned if ozone isn't one of the worst things of it's ilk out there. That's not to say that i haven't used it to do things that were cool, i just couldn't imagine using it as a mastering tool. It's way too persnickety and colored for me...
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

matucha

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 08:21:22 AM »

gr grrr rrraaa iiinn yyyyy... not the best thing for your mixes IMO

fuu drakka

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 03:51:14 PM »

I've used the ozone a bunch, and I never have liked anything it's done for me. Id spend good time tweaking it, and of course it alwyas sound best bypassed.
As for in the box apps, I think T'racks sounds quite a bit better.
waves I think sounds better than all of the do it all mastering plugs.

Innominandum

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 08:35:23 PM »

Okay. I'll let you guys miss out on the MBIT+ dithering.

TotalSonic

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 09:38:20 PM »

Innominandum wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 01:35

Okay. I'll let you guys miss out on the MBIT+ dithering.

y'know - I was just thinking that the Megabit max dither algorithms (which seems to have a majority of people select it over even the POW-r stuff in some subjective blind tests) included might be the one thing that makes this plug worth the 3 bills.  I wasn't that impressed with the rest of it - but I was thinking of picking it up just for the dither.  

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.