R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dangerous 2-bus and lower-quality converters  (Read 2805 times)

graddium

Dangerous 2-bus and lower-quality converters
« on: May 16, 2004, 06:18:18 PM »

I have a small home studio that I use to record my band.  My current signal looks something like:

[mic]->RNP/RNC->MOTU828mkII->Nuendo.

I'm thinking about adding a dangerous 2-bus to help with mixing.
How much benefit will I see from the D2-B considering the MOTU converters?  I also have a berhinger ada8000 that I picked up for doing live shows when I need 16 analog tracks, so I can use that along with the MOTU to get 16 outputs to the D2-B. Will these converters degrade the audio enough where the D2-B will not be much of an improvement?  

Thanks.

brandondrury

Re: Dangerous 2-bus and lower-quality converters
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 10:19:05 PM »

I asked a similar question not even a month ago.  Everyone told me to invest in my room.  It seams that that the converters are the last piece in the chain that need upgrading.  

Then again, I probably don't have any more experience than you do.

Brandon

graddium

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 01:46:55 AM »

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with the room upgrades, my list of upgrades right now is (in roughly priority order):

-a couple UAD cards (I am constantly crashing my computer due to overloading my CPU, I won't stand for it any longer!)
-fix up room
-better vocal mic (using sp c1 now)
-great rivers/similar high end pre (rnp now)
-better monitors (behringer truths now..maybe this should be higher on the list :/)
-better front end converters for overdubs (like the lucid 9624)
-better dacs/dangerous 2-bus
-mackie/similar control surface (I love working with a mouse, just not when mixing, so maybe I'll put this higher up a bit).

I think that would set me up for awhile.  What would be cool with the 2-bus is I could start getting some kickin' outboard gear.  I see my bank account shrinking already...why do we do this?

Aaron

natpub

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 02:01:16 AM »

We have been in process of building a studio for a few months now. Our budget considerations definately work backwards from the room on out.

We are still in consultations with designers, and have already had people ask to rent our space, lol. There are apparently lots of people with rigs, but not high quality space of sufficient size.

Anyhoo, if you meaning your bedroom or office, then there are lots of folks around the boards who can direct you fantastic ideas with very little budget! Some very nice and generous people here!

Anyway, we are putting a summing option fairly low on our priority list. It seems to be flavor-of-the-month right now. Not to say it isn't important, just would be careful not to make it priority if you monitors, converters, pres, mics, and compressors are not enough to warrant a $2k summing box.
Kurt Thompson
Vibrational Arts, Inc.
Blue Skyway Music
Sonic Sorcery Studios
Austin,TX/Columbus,OH
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.