R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: B.L.U.E. -Modified Neumann U47  (Read 26627 times)

Jeff Stuart Saltzman

Re: B.L.U.E. -Modified Neumann U47
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:41 PM »

Hi Shaul---just out of curiosity---what does the attenuator knob on the PSU do?
Jeff

Arf! Mastering

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »

It's a remote pattern control, not sure if it's engaged on the Blue 47 or not.
“A working class hero is something to be,
Keep you doped with religion and sex and T.V.”
John Lennon

"Large signals can actually be counterproductive.  If I scream at you over the phone, you don’t hear me better. If I shine a bright light in your eyes, you don’t see better.”
Dr. C.T. Rubin, biomechanical engineer

J.J. Blair

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 12:06:51 AM »

Jeff Stuart Saltzman wrote on Wed, 16 December 2009 15:02

Hi Shaul---just out of curiosity---what does the attenuator knob on the PSU do?

It is NOT a pattern selector.

This feature on the Bottle adjusts the capsule voltage.  If they are feeding two separate voltages to this mic, then it probably does the same, otherwise you're adjusting both the heater voltage and the capsule voltage at the same time, as you would by using a variac on a real U47.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

nob turner

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »

if you do a search on this forum, there is a thread i started last spring about a blue "refurbed" M49 i briefly owned which had absolutely no neumann parts in it.  not even the shell was original neumann brass, this was made of steel and painted to look like a nickel finish.

oh, and it had multiple transistors in it, in addition to the tube, which may have been a knockoff of an ac701.  it wasn't a bad sounding mic, though it had a terrible susceptibility to rfi.  still, caveat emptor.
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 06:43:56 PM »

The Blue49 which I had here briefly had a real AC701 in it.  It was an OK mic, but did not sound anything like how a M49 should sound.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

shauli

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

Happy Holidays,

So here are the pictures of this Blue-Telefunken -U47.

Your expertize comments are welcome.
index.php/fa/13955/0/
Shaul Dover
Sweatshop Studios
914-767-0869 www.sweatshopstudios.com
Analog meets Digital and lovin' it

shauli

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »

and another image.index.php/fa/13956/0/
Shaul Dover
Sweatshop Studios
914-767-0869 www.sweatshopstudios.com
Analog meets Digital and lovin' it

Martin Kantola

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »

Not ONE Neumann made part in there! Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Martin

mwurfl

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2009, 04:16:04 PM »

The tube doesn't look fully seated in its socket to me.  Is that the way it's intended to be??

Mark W
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts."

-- Albert Einstein

J.J. Blair

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »

Martin Kantola wrote on Thu, 24 December 2009 12:32

Not ONE Neumann made part in there! Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Martin

I was just about to say the exact same thing.  

The person responsible for foisting these fakes on us has personally insisted to me on more than one occasion that there was a real Neumann mic for each one of these, and that some parts, like the bottom bell, needed to be made, because suitable replacements were not available.  Now, either mics like this were made without said person's knowledge, or they lied to my face.

I don't like either possible answer. (...)
Hopefully the person of whom I'm speaking reads this, as well as anybody else who calls me their "friend."
studio info

Mike Cleaver

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »

Which begs the question:
What happened to all the original Neumann parts when they "refurbished" these microphones?
Surely, some or all of the components were good, including some capsules and maybe even some VF-14's.
What happened to those parts?
Were they re-sold to other Neumann owners as replacement parts at highly inflated prices?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Broadcast Studio Design and Consulting
Voiceover Talent
Newscaster

J.J. Blair

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2009, 01:20:34 AM »

Or did they ever exist?
studio info

nob turner

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »

it is understandable that one might begin by refurbishing real neumanns and see how much money these mics command.  if people like your refurbs, and most of the necessary parts are being remanufactured, all you need to do is cross the line in your mind from that to imitation.  for some of us, the line is wide and high.  for some others, it may not be such a long walk to fraud.

the world is full of frauds: fake rolexes, guccis, you name it.  it is disappointing to think that it can happen in the backwater of pro audio, but...
Why do you think they call it the control room?
www.garymankin.com

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »

It's all in the wording.

In this era of high temptation to fudge words, because buyers are ignorant, and because they are ignorant, they can be taken advantage of, we all must be vigilant to insist on using common definitions of words in the description of microphones.

I have no problem when someone offers a "meticulously executed copy of a Rolex Submariner". Its clear from such wording that there will probably be no genuine Rolex part in such a watch.    

But the title of this thread is false. This is not an original U47 that has been modified (as 'modified' describes an original item that has been altered) but, as the pictures show, this item is a copy (and a bad one) of an original item.

It's already sneaking up on us in the microphone world: copies of M7 capsules are no longer called "a copy of an M7" but referred to as "New M7 made by Thiersch" or a copy of Telefunken's ELA M 251 is now referred to as "New Telefunken ELA M 251".

Again: Please always point out when a seller fudges commonly assumed definitions of words. Because if we don't we will end up in Babylon, and, after a while no one even will bother to protest anymore when a repeat show on TV is called an "Encore Presentation", and old people are euphemized into "Seniors".
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

seedyunderbelly.com

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »

JJ,
I tried to say the truth before here and the thread was closed ...

I believe some of the mics I bought from them were not represented as they should have been BY A LONG SHOT.
J.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.