R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: spdif cable length  (Read 2419 times)

e.maynard

spdif cable length
« on: April 23, 2004, 03:25:02 PM »

Hi. I'm coming out of my Radar II's spdif outs to a MOTU 828. (No AES ins). What is the safest length for spdif coax cable. I realize the quality will determine the "safest" length so if you can recommend a specific brand that would help too.

Also, would there be any advantage in using a spdif-coax to spdif-optical converter and using optical in on the MOTU? Will both transfer 24/48?

Many Thanks

bblackwood

Re: spdif cable length
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 04:13:22 PM »

Assuming you use cable of proper impedance (75 ohms for SPDIF), you can run quite a long way - it has more to do with the quality of the receiver than the length of the cable.

FWIW, video cable (standard RCAs) is 75 ohm. You can get some at RatShack and see if you can go as far as you need...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Magnus

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 05:51:40 PM »

Brad,

do you think 20 meters (sorry, don't know what that is in feet, maybe 60???)is too long for S/PDIF or should it be OK?

Also, what would happen if the signal is too weak? Jitter, or would it just not sync?

Thanks,
Magnus

bblackwood

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 11:50:52 PM »

Hrmm, 60 feet might be pushing it, but I'll bet it will work. If it doesn't, you'll simply lose sync - have dropouts and such...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 20 queries.