R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael Jackson back...and Massively Autotuned???  (Read 5532 times)

MagnetoSound

Re: Michael Jackson back...and Massively Autotuned???
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 03:58:29 AM »

maarvold wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 02:04

Not that I'm an MJ scholar, but I don't ever remember him holding any notes as long as some of the ones in that excerpt.  But whatever is going on, something is 'rotten in Denmark' in that snippet.  YMMV.  

I thought the timing was tweaked as well, but sped up here and there.

Melodyne?

Dan

Music can make me get right up out of my chair and start dancing or it can get me so pumped up I have to walk around the block.
It can also knock me back and make me sit there and cry like a little baby. This shit is as powerful as any drug!!!
- Larry DeVivo

chris carter

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »

Wow... I hear about regular people saying that everyone is autotuned, but this is ridiculous.  We're engineers people!

The track isn't auto tuned.  It's just massively sped up and that will obviously introduce some anomolies.  The origianl tune is CONSIDERABLY slower.  For anyone who has ever done a remix, the time compression anomolies are something you are always fighting. Not to mention that the original song swings (am I the only person who remembers the original?) with a considerable amount of rubato for an uptempo tune and dealing with adjusting for those is going to lead to a certain amount of sonic mangling (lots of individual moments of compression/expansion on top of the main does of compression).  

But autotuned?  No.
Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter
Producer | Mixer
www.vonpimpenstein.com

RSettee

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 01:27:52 PM »

Good point. That's why I don't like it when people speed up vocals--it changes the natural timbre of the performance. Especially vocally. Dance remixes really suffer from this--i'm not sure exactly if they did anything but speed the vocals up, but it usually sounds terrible.

One thing that i've noticed about tempo--in general--is that if you speed something or slow it down even by a few BPM, it changes the feel of the song lots, performance-wise. That's why I really try to settle on that tempo where it should stay that way with enough room in the tempo for space and an in the pocket feel. When some remixer is messing around with tempo, IMHO, alot of them don't have a clue about what constitutes feel or groove....I mean, technically they have groove/ rhythm, but no sense of allowing musicians breathing room to riff or feel a performance. Because one thing that I noticed is that even 3 BPM out totally can change a vibe or in the pocket feel.

Definetely a case of "don't mess with tempo". I could go on a whole separate thread of how important tempo is to allow songs to breathe and have feeling to them. Just because something's fast doesn't necessarily mean that it's a better groove or heavier--you know, alot of bands figure, "hey, this is ripping fast, that must make it more aggressive". Yes and no. Yes because technically it's faster; no because it has no space to groove on, and groove is what makes alot of things sound bigger than they actually are. Weird timing can really make things appear bigger than they are, especially when done fast--drummers can get into weird non-4/4 fills, etc.

And just because it's slow doesn't necessarily mean that it has feel or space or "epicness" or heaviness to it....if you sped up or slowed down Bonham's drums on "When The Levee Breaks", you'd totally lose the massiveness that it has. You have to pick the tempo on the basis of the material...alot of producers and/ or remix people don't put enough emphasis on tempo.

cerberus

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »

is there some groove-related reason why bonzo's
kick pedal needed to squeak so loudly?

jeff dinces

Bryson

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »

chris carter wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 08:33

But autotuned?  No.

Would you believe, Manual Tuned ?

maccool

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »

RSettee wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 18:27

...even 3 BPM out totally can change a vibe or in the pocket feel.

3?  Hell, 1/2 bpm can be the difference between heaven and hell in my little world!
"Live sound will always be different."  Paul Frindle

RSettee

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »

maccool wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 16:16

3?  Hell, 1/2 bpm can be the difference between heaven and hell in my little world!

True!

TotalSonic

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

Skullsessions wrote on Wed, 06 February 2008 11:08

Bill Mueller wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 20:49

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 19:54

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertai nment/music/article3186528.ece

Geeze,

Now that's just stupid. To take those beautiful pipes and do that to them is just stupid. Who is the genius producer on this track?

Edit: Oh EXCUSE ME, it's Kanye West. That explains it.

Bill

"George Bush hates black people." - Kanye West

Autotune that....

Actually your quote is wrong.  Kanye actually said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." - a very different sentence than what you state.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bill Mueller

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »

RSettee wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 18:29

maccool wrote on Thu, 07 February 2008 16:16

True!

Ryan,

Finally a post I can get all the way through! Thanks.

Bill
"Don't take it personally. But this shit is a science." J.J.Blair

“The Internet is only a means of communication,” he wrote. “It is not an amorphous extraterrestrial body with an entitlement to norms that run counter to the fundamental principles of human rights. There is nothing in the criminal or civil law which legalizes that which is otherwise illegal simply because the transaction takes place over the Internet.” Irish judge, Peter Charleton

RSettee

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 09:02:45 PM »

I'm the master of brevity and also of non-brevity!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 23 queries.