R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Mic  (Read 59662 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Church Mic
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 01:50:36 PM »

Yeah, sorry it isn't any clearer than that.  Also frustrating is that the column that is supposed to list WHICH cap is missing.  Some guess work will be involved, I suppose.

BTW, the K47 capsule was not introduced until 1960, so I wonder if we can assume that if the schematic says 1954, that these were originally equipped with M7s.  Also, I'm still wondering about these baskets that don;t have the Neumann pattern selector.  I am going to take a wild guess that perhaps the baskets were not made by Neumann.  Lemme see if I can get Klaus or Oli to answer that.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Billy Yates

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »

Aha...the plot thickens. I wish the original parts were still inside so I could date the thing, just out of curiosity.
I am going to build my own version when I get the time, maybe use a Jensen or Cinemag transformer. Sometimes those capsules come up for sale without having to mortgage the house.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

J.J. Blair

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

See if you can get one of the new Triads from Dave Pearlman.  
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Klaus Heyne

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 09:25:11 PM »

J.J. alerted me to this thread. Sorry to make myself rare here, but life with a six-year-old, a book contract pressing on my back, lousy moods from three months without a single day of sunshine...

As to capsule cleaning of Neumann large diaphragm capsules:
In general, gold sputtering is very lightly attached to the Mylar membrane, and will come off super-easy when triggered mechanically,as by a brush. This is especially true for contaminated membrane surfaces, where a brush, even a very soft one, will drag and scratch hard particles into the gold and remove it quickly.

So, in principle, the advice to just sprinkle some harmless fluid like distilled water on the diaphragm, swill it around a bit and toss it off, is not bad, except:
most Neumann capsules have a pressure relief hole, a tiny needle prick, towards the edge of the membrane. Any liquid deposited on the surface of the membrane will be sucked into the deep, mystical spaces of the backplate behind it, and that liquid will henceforth become inaccessible to most simple drying efforts, and lead to loss of the high insulation resistance between diaphragm and back plate, which in turn leads to thunderous discharges of a collapsed/shorted capacitor.

In addition, when I see the kind of contamination your capsule shows, I pretty much know that these large blobs will not come off without the gold going too. (Notice the rainbow-like discoloration on some of the blobs: deterioration and chemical conversion has already set in.)

One more note about the K47 your pictures show clearly: someone messed with this capsule, and I am not sure whether it even has the original Neumann diaphragms. There is a clear lacquer sloppily smeared over every of the 12 diaphragm ring screws which is not of Neumann origin. Normally this is done when the ring had been off and the screws resealed. (Neumann only uses a tiny bit of a sealer to affix the position of each screw)

Now to the Church specs: lots of info on my forum. (I feel like a pimp stealing customers...)

What is a MUST to be found on any authentic Church mic:

* Genuine Neumann M7 or K47
* GE 5-Star 6072 tube
* Triad transformer (I still can't figure out from your JGPs where yours is??)
* Genuine Neumann U47 (tube) head basket, modified for Church's purposes.

Best regards,
Klaus Heyne
Klaus Heyne
German Masterworks
www.GermanMasterworks.com

J.J. Blair

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »

Klaus, thanks for coming by.  I don't think anybody minds cross pollinating the traffic to you.  

So I guess those ARE Neumann baskets that are modded.
studio info

Billy Yates

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »

Klaus...
Thanks for dropping by and setting that straight. I won't be worrying too much about the capsule. The mic tested good yesterday and it will remain in this state unless I can source another capsule. The tube in this mic is a GE 5 Star 6072/12AY7. The transformer is located on the very bottom of the superstructure where the cabling exits...I can provide a photo if anyone wishes.
For the sake of description, the transformer is a rather small open frame single bobbin type with the laminations having a bright metal finish. Maybe Nickel? The bobbin is wrapped in yellow tape. The leads exit the bobbin without posts.
When I tested the mic, I only had headphones to use here in the shop. It sounded nice and full, very warm without any noticeable bumps in the upper frequencies. The again, I am a guitarist and my ears are suspect regarding critical assessment.
Ross is planning a visit to the studio this week, so maybe he could have a listen. Maybe JJ could come too...hell, why not all of the LA cats show up and have a Church Party!
I have to say how cool it is to cast something out into this pond looking for tidbits and I end up with a feast. Damn, you guys are amazing.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Barry Hufker

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »

If you have a "Church Party," you guys will definitely need a (the?) "Church Lady".

J.J. Blair

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2008, 12:04:14 PM »

Lemme see if I can get one of Dave's mics for the occasion.
studio info

Billy Yates

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »

That would be great. I'll see if I can get Ed to come over too. We should do these sorts of things often...keep the networks of people alive and kicking. Mic shoot outs are a good reason for folks to hang out and make music or noise or both...good coffee or good beer.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

BiasRocks

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »

"hey i have a c28
if you can make that mic rock, you are my hero !"

Ross

Get your hands on a Blue/Red B6 head, screw it onto your C28 add a GE 5 Star 6072 and you have a very versatile and great sounding package. Vocals, Bass Amp, Agtrs (not Martins), Gtr Amp, Room Mic are some uses I've found for mine.

Mark

Billy Yates

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »

phantom309 wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 09:12

Brian Kehew wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 00:41

I borrowed one of Jack Puig's once and it made the greatest female vocal I've ever recorded.

If you're talking about that green body one in 96, that was a special moment. I remember 3 other mics being put up for that session and that one was an easy winner. Was that the Eleni record?

Have you heard the Pearlman clone yet?

Billy, did you get one of the Bomb Factory mics?

I have not heard the Pearlman yet. Clue me into the Bomb Factory mic...never heard of it.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

phantom309

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 10:45:43 AM »

Billy Yates wrote on Tue, 12 February 2008 08:38

phantom309 wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 09:12

Brian Kehew wrote on Fri, 08 February 2008 00:41

I borrowed one of Jack Puig's once and it made the greatest female vocal I've ever recorded.

If you're talking about that green body one in 96, that was a special moment. I remember 3 other mics being put up for that session and that one was an easy winner. Was that the Eleni record?

Have you heard the Pearlman clone yet?

Billy, did you get one of the Bomb Factory mics?

I have not heard the Pearlman yet. Clue me into the Bomb Factory mic...never heard of it.
Billy Yates

It was a very particular church mic that was owned by the Bombfactory Studio in Burbank. They recently closed and sold off the gear. I got the Lustraphone Helios silver preamps from there (from the same desk as the two you have), but the Church mic was already gone. It's just one that I'd like to keep track of! Sounded incredible.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Billy Yates

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »

Okay, now I understand. Those Helios you picked up are rather nice I must say. I'm still working on racking up the 2 that I have. I just finished restoring the RCA BA6A. It sounds wonderful and worth all of the effort. I also finished installing the new rubber tubing on the Church Mic. Now I need to make a mount for the yoke.
I promised to post a picture of the transformer on this mic, I'll do that in a few minutes and get it posted.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Billy Yates

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21:24 AM »

Well, I must make a correction. The transformer is a split bobbin type instead a single bobbin as I stated previously.
Here is picture of the transformer.
Billy Yatesindex.php/fa/7582/0/
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Billy Yates

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »

Here is a picture of the finished installation of the rubber tubing shock absorber. To facilitate this, you need to use a pair of scissors to cut the end of the tubing into a sharp point in order to guide it through the holes of the mount tabs of the mic and then into the yoke. The bare ends are then tied into a half hitch and trimmed of excess material. Works like a charm. The installation took about 20 minutes.
Billy Yatesindex.php/fa/7583/0/
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.