R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Mic  (Read 59692 times)

J.J. Blair

Re: Church Mic
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »

Rolff!  It's nice to see you, my man.  Stick around, please!
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

compasspnt

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:56 PM »

tom eaton wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 13:22

...a Sony C800g

Yikes!

E Merrill

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2008, 11:55:30 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 23:49

...a Sony C800g

Yikes!

Note the difference in her vocal sound between her early records and more recent releases.

Both are good but they are VERY different.

Eric

Billy Yates

« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2008, 12:00:16 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 22:49

...a Sony C800g

Yikes!

Terry...
A bit off topic, but...
I am curious about this mic. For the amount of money they fetch and the comments I see about them, whats your take? Yikes can mean good or bad...for that money I could buy a couple of really good mics.
That heat sink looking thing makes me nervous.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

"Mix? What mix? Oh, that mix...it's easy!
Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

compasspnt

« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:14 AM »

Yikes bad.

To my ears, the 800 is "pre-EQ'd" in a not very pretty way.  It seems to work a lot on Hip-Hop sessions, where everything needs to thrash through the muck.  Very (almost artificially) bright sounding.

I would guess that's why the post says there was much work to be done after the fact.

I would personally not have one of the beasts.

For that money, there are many nice mics to be had.

tom eaton

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

In the discussion that I linked above, Gary talks about the relative brightness of the mic and that he spends quite a bit of time removing mouth noises and manually riding ss.  What's the plural of s?  ss?

Anyway, yes.  Big expensive bright mic that sounds good if you take out all the stuff that sounds bad about it.

-tom

phantom309

« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2008, 12:26:34 AM »

Eric Merrill wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 21:55

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 23:49

...a Sony C800g

Yikes!

Note the difference in her vocal sound between her early records and more recent releases.

Both are good but they are VERY different.

Eric

Hence the question in the first place. I've been following Alison since I first saw her in a fiddle contest in Winfield Kansas...which she won rather handily. Then she got this great career as a vocal star with Union Station going and her sound HAS changed a lot over the years and I couldn't figure out why this soft, gorgeous tone was so dynamic in detail.

That mic may be a very expensive paper weight in every other case, but with that engineer and his method on that woman's voice, it's enchanting.  

Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Larrchild

« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2008, 12:28:49 AM »

And I didn't mean to diminish the question. Sorry. I just like saying how great she is at every chance.
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

tom eaton

« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:46 AM »

Perhaps she could be a guest moderator.

t

phantom309

« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2008, 12:52:28 AM »

tom eaton wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 22:46

Perhaps she could be a guest moderator.

t

Indeed. Especially now that she's moved into producing other people. She did a great job with Alan Jackson.

Wide ears.
Those that can't get carried away, should be.
http://www.audities.org
http://www.mellotron.com
http://www.myspace.com/auditiesrecording
David T. Kean

Billy Yates

« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2008, 12:55:28 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Tue, 19 February 2008 23:18

Yikes bad.

To my ears, the 800 is "pre-EQ'd" in a not very pretty way.  It seems to work a lot on Hip-Hop sessions, where everything needs to thrash through the muck.  Very bright and harsh sounding.

I would guess that's why the post says there was much work to be done after the fact.

I would personally not have one of the beasts.

For that money, there are many nice mics to be had.

Thank you.
I have never worked with one and when I saw the post about having to work through its personality to remove what was objectionable it seemed like a waste of time. Maybe there is merit with an inverse approach to capturing tonal depth and then going back to remove what isn't needed is a long path to the desired result.
Am I missing something here? I remember when these mics hit the market and everybody seemed to get one because they were the new kid on the block. I guess the 251 and 47 get the nod for a reason.
Lets get back to the Church.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

Because it's all Digital, the only thing you have to do is pour a bunch of zero's and one's into a blender and push "mix". Then, you pray."

Larrchild

« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2008, 01:20:08 AM »

I was so jazzed by the Church mic on acoustic about 25 years ago I took a FET 47 capsule and built a 6072 stage and a totem-pole cathode follower after it, ala Sax. I still used a transformer, but a fat one, in the PS.

index.php/fa/7710/0/
It worked pretty good for the low level stuff actually. Same vibe, but grainy compared to the Church. I still have it here now and your mic build is making me want to start again with it with some new circuits, Billy.

I can always snap it back on the FET body if it's a dud. Cool
Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

David Bock

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2008, 02:12:58 AM »

That Korby supply bears little resemblance to the stock psu, especially w/the silicon, which is left to your devices to determine the value of. Hell,  people own Bradley psu's and thing their Neumanns sound right in this day and age! The mic photo also shows mods which are "value judgements".
JJ- John's mics are mostly stock (!), including the brown leather bound psu.
Yates- I understand what you are saying based on how many mics you and I have respectively been inside of. It is well built compared to some of the things out there, new and vintage. I just know all the flaws so I can't hold it in quite the esteem that I hold others. It's the curse of designing and thinking from a mfg/service viewpoint: if the performance is not beyond spectacular the flaws become more evident.
regards,
DB

Billy Yates

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »

dbock wrote on Fri, 22 February 2008 01:12

That Korby supply bears little resemblance to the stock psu, especially w/the silicon, which is left to your devices to determine the value of. Hell,  people own Bradley psu's and thing their Neumanns sound right in this day and age! The mic photo also shows mods which are "value judgements".
JJ- John's mics are mostly stock (!), including the brown leather bound psu.
Yates- I understand what you are saying based on how many mics you and I have respectively been inside of. It is well built compared to some of the things out there, new and vintage. I just know all the flaws so I can't hold it in quite the esteem that I hold others. It's the curse of designing and thinking from a mfg/service viewpoint: if the performance is not beyond spectacular the flaws become more evident.
regards,
DB

David...
That was stated very well, thank you.
Defining the flaws and correcting them is an interesting subject.
At some point you have to consider what course of action to take which leads me to these questions David...
In evaluating and passing a high grade onto a microphone, what gold standard is used?
Is it just ears? Reference measurements using test apparatus?
All of the above and more? If you could, describe a typical test and evaluation set up. For many...myself included, this is one of the most fascinating aspects of audio.
For the record, my studio is the microscope and the gold standard are several good sets of ears. Then trying to get 2 or more engineers to agree is another story.
Again, thanks for posting David.
By the way, please contribute on PSW when convenient, your participation is greatly appreciated.
Billy Yates
Billy Yates
Venice Amplifier Co
310 425 2566
AES Member 72975

David Bock

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »

Quote:

In evaluating and passing a high grade onto a microphone, what gold standard is used?
Is it just ears? Reference measurements using test apparatus?

At this point for me it is a combination of the two, with the test equipment usually confirming what I think I hear. Of course, construction, servicability, style, etc factor in as well. Mics with obvious gimmicky design, funny names, and poor finish are of little interest to me.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.