R/E/P > Reason In Audio

George....what's the resolution of analog?

<< < (2/67) > >>

Loco:
jazzius wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 14:38
why does it sound better then?

It's not that it's better. It's just easier to get more musical results.

Providing that you are working with a good piece of hardware, of course.

jazzius:
why why why?

bblackwood:
Tape saturation (essentially freq-dependant compression).

ted nightshade:
From what I understand, digital has no dimension called "resolution". There are sampling rates and wordlengths, but those are not "resolution". Nika has talked to me about this a bit, and my own experiences seem to corroborate it. There's no analogy between pixels in a digital picture and digital sound- when it's converted back to analog, it's continuous.

When you say analog, it seems everyone is assuming you mean analog tape- there are in fact many analog tape machines with frequency response well up above 20kHz, even up to 30 kHz. That's not really unusual. There is a noise floor that is rather high compared to digital, but infinitely more pleasant, and even musically useful.

Now if you are talking about analog in general, not just tape, the limits are pretty extreme- response up to 60hz and beyond happens, and down to 1 or 2 hz. Noise floors can be very, very low, but almost always higher than digital. Good thing the analog noise is there to mask the digital noise in most cases- the digital noise is pretty nasty.

There's a lot of stuff called digital out there, and a lot of stuff called analog. That by itself doesn't tell you much.

jazzius:
sorry...to clarify.....real tape compared to plugin tape simulation......same thing for comps, EQ's, FX, whatever....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version