R/E/P > Reason In Audio

George....what's the resolution of analog?

(1/67) > >>

jazzius:
George, we hear about the resolution of digital all the time.....24 bits, 44.1, 192.....2.8 million whatevers....

...do you know if anyone has ever worked out the resolution of analog?.....how many bits would it be equivelent to?.....i know this is bit of a strange question, but i'd love to be able to give my customers a smart-arse answer for why analog sounds better then digital...

...cheers.....Darius

bblackwood:
Well, I'm not GM, but resolution certainly isn't the answer as to why some feel analog sound better. IME, good analog machines have a S/N ratio of about 13 bit and a useable hi-freq limit of about 20kHz or so...

Ethan Winer:
Darius,

> do you know if anyone has ever worked out the resolution of analog? <

Yes, Arny Krueger from www.pcabx.com has assessed this and commented several times in the audio news groups.

> i'd love to be able to give my customers a smart-arse answer for why analog sounds better then digital <

Uh oh, then I'm afraid you won't like Arny's results.

In any way you care to measure, even a $25 SoundBlaster sound card beats pretty much any analog tape recorder.

--Ethan

malice:
bblackwood wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 19:12
Well, I'm not GM, but resolution certainly isn't the answer as to why some feel analog sound better. IME, good analog machines have a S/N ratio of about 13 bit and a useable hi-freq limit of about 20kHz or so...

Sometimes the bandwith is less than that (+/- 3db of course)

malice

jazzius:
why does it sound better then?

Surely analog works at a higher resolution then digital?....electrons, atoms, eeeerrrrrr.....quarks?! (yeah, i don't actually know what the hell i'm talking about!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version