R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our indie release  (Read 1414 times)

Ryan Wiley

Our indie release
« on: March 19, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

I was working at Ardent Studios in Memphis, TN for several years as an assitant/engineer before i decided to drop out and go back to law school.  I did this because i wanted to start a small indie label part time that focused on developing bands i really believed in. About a year ago, i started working with a young indie punk band to start helping guide them in the process of writing and recording a record. I found a great co-producer and studio to work with, and over the past year we have had a great time (minus some dealings with a graphic designer) getting this project ready for release. We decided early on that for our label's initial releases, we would forgo the traditional distribution methods and make the entire first album available for free online with a later coming hard copy for a reasonable price ($3-$5) that included some more songs, artwork, etc. The concept was that it would be easier to gain a fan base if people knew the songs before coming to shows. We could get a read from online reponse what markets we should focus on.  Of course we accept payment in a sort of pay what you can method. Our budget was kept pretty low for everything, but I am very happy with how things have turned out. Many thanks to JT at JT Studios (jtstudios.net) for all his help.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The entire record is available for download at:

theopeningnight.com

myspace.com/theopeningnightband

Billybehdaz

Re: Our indie release
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »

Checked out some of the tunes on the site.  I'm assuming by the lyrics these are high school guys?  If so, cool stuff sounds like they have some potential.  I bet the local high school chicks will eat it up.  I'm interested to see how your 'donation' business model works for what is (I think) an unknown band.  Not sure that this should be marketed as 'punk', but punk to me is Black Flag, Fugazi, etc. Best of luck.

As an aside, did you ever work with The Dempseys (rockabilly trio) and Ardent?  I think it was several years ago that they were there.  The are old friends from high school, pretty solid musicians for early 30's dudes, although rockabilly isn't my thing.  They pulled of the pop/rock thing great years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.