R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: If you want a Democratic president, don't vote for Hillary.  (Read 13659 times)

Barry Hufker

Re: If you want a Democratic president, don't vote for Hillary.
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2008, 12:17:55 AM »

Sniff, I'm *so* proud, sniff that I could stand up and cheer!

And now back to the thread topic:

index.php/fa/7518/0/

George_

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2008, 01:07:38 AM »

Quote:

Until recent years, racist policies and practices were also embedded within Australian laws and institutions. The most telling examples of these were the removal of Aboriginal children from their families and the denial of full citizenship rights to Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander people. Similarly, the White Australia policy aimed to restrict immigration by people from non-European backgrounds. Historically, rises in unemployment have often led to calls for immigration restrictions and in some cases led to the scapegoating of people who were seen to be different to members of the dominant culture. While legislation now exists to protect the rights of all citizens, there is a continuing legacy today from the effects of these racist practices.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

Quote:

The inauguration of White Australia as government policy is generally taken to be the passage of the Immigration Restriction Act in 1901, very soon after Australian federation. The policy was dismantled in stages by successive governments after the conclusion of World War II, with the encouragement of first non-British and later non-white immigration. From 1973 on, the White Australia policy was for all practical purposes defunct, and in 1975 the Australian government passed the Racial Discrimination Act, which made racially-based selection criteria illegal.
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

J.J. Blair

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2008, 04:38:34 AM »

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 11:42

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 20:29

I'm embarrassed by my president.  I'm embarrassed by many of the ignorant people that live here.  But I'm proud of my country and the principles for which we are intended to stand.

I have no problem that you are proud, I think patrotism and idiotism are a thin line.

Now you are putting words in my mouth; I don't equate national pride with patriotism.  

And there are many types of patriotism.  I consider some of the people who have challenged the authority of our government to be some of our greatest patriots.  

Or as I said in a sign that I had in front of my house during the lead up to the invasion of Iraq: "Blind faith in bad leadership is not patriotic."
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

George_

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2008, 04:54:30 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 10:38

myNameIsGeorge wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 11:42

J.J. Blair wrote on Sun, 10 February 2008 20:29

I'm embarrassed by my president.  I'm embarrassed by many of the ignorant people that live here.  But I'm proud of my country and the principles for which we are intended to stand.

I have no problem that you are proud, I think patrotism and idiotism are a thin line.

Now you are putting words in my mouth; I don't equate national pride with patriotism.  

And there are many types of patriotism.  I consider some of the people who have challenged the authority of our government to be some of our greatest patriots.  

Or as I said in a sign that I had in front of my house during the lead up to the invasion of Iraq: "Blind faith in bad leadership is not patriotic."

I would never put something else than swiss chocolate in your mouth JJ. Wink

I accept your point and have not a single problem with it Wink
agreed.

cheers
"BORN A ROCKER, DIE A ROCKER"

George Necola

ssltech

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2008, 10:35:30 AM »

I never really HAD to consider national pride until I decided to naturalise and become an American Citizen. -At that time I looked at the British system (of late) and the American system and decided that both had a lot to recommend them.

I thought deeply about whether I wanted to become part of a flawed system, and in the end I decided that I DID, because the system invites its members to try and fix the flaws... I believe the same to be true of the UK and many other countries, by the way.

Anyhow, I did indeed become a citizen, and I'm now content to take pride in that fact -WITHOUT blind patriotism, which I find to be offensive in ANY nation.

There's a lot about America at the moment which embarrasses me; much of it is to do with the dipshit that got himself into the White House a few years ago, and other bits are to do with some of the tourists. -Being originally from a different country, I tend to be more sensitive to how my more recently-adopted country is viewed from outside, I suppose.

So I absolutely underscore JJ's point that national pride and patriotism are NOT synonyms; I draw a BIG distinction between the two, though I find that "patriots" are more inclined to confuse the two, and ignore -or even DENY- any legitimate distinction.

I've spent a few days listening to AM talk radio recently, and I can't tell you how horrified I am about the COMPLETE obfuscation of any distinction or delineation between the two notions that the ass-clowns on there are peddling.

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Larrchild

« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2008, 12:26:59 PM »

Keith:
Quote:

I've spent a few days listening to AM talk radio recently, and I can't tell you how horrified I am about the COMPLETE obfuscation of any distinction or delineation between the two notions that the ass-clowns on there are peddling.

It's hard to tell when the shrieking midgets of conservative AM talk radio are angrier, when their team is in office or when it's not.

So with the upcoming Democratic administration to provide new material to line their pockets, I would not expect the vitriol to subside.

Larry Janus
http://2ubes.net

rnicklaus

R.N.

John Ivan

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2008, 04:25:07 PM »

THAT was cool!! I know it's cheezzzzy but, it's the best campaign ad I've seen this year.Although, I bet it didn't come from her people directly.. I think it's fun..

Ivan................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

danickstr

« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »

ssltech wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 10:35

the COMPLETE obfuscation of any distinction or delineation between the two notions that the ass-clowns on there are peddling.

Keith

I spent 5 minutes on urbandictionary.com reading all the definitions of assclown (19).  Although I did hear it first from JJ

Nationalism and patriotism I guess are two different things.  While there are evil(er) nations out there that would (if they could) use the militia a major power has to openly enslave other nations, I guess we need both to a degree.

Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

PRobb

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2008, 05:16:14 PM »

The line "my country right or wrong" is often cited by those expressing the worst aspect of patriotism. However the whole line is "My country right or wrong. If right to be kept right. If wrong to be made right." I like that.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

studiojimi

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2008, 05:51:15 PM »

and

should we just throw out "one nation under God"???

CAZADOR RECORDING
STUDIOJIMI'S PSW SONG FORUM
MY MYSPACE
How very good and pleasant it is
when kindred live together in unity!
Psalm 133:1

Barry Hufker

« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »

No.  We just need to remind people it is "one nation under God" and not "one nation that *is* God".

rnicklaus

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »

studiojimi wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 14:51

and

You do know this was added in the '50's under Eisenhower, correct?

<<Eisenhower was instrumental in the addition of the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, and the 1956 adoption of "In God We Trust" as the motto of the US, and its 1957 introduction on paper currency.>>
R.N.

conquer

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2008, 06:33:21 PM »

Even Bill voted for Obama  Shocked

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/exhibitions/Bill.jpg

Barry Hufker

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 17:30

studiojimi wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 14:51

and

You do know this was added in the '50's under Eisenhower, correct?

<<Eisenhower was instrumental in the addition of the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954, and the 1956 adoption of "In God We Trust" as the motto of the US, and its 1957 introduction on paper currency.>>

And your point would be...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.