R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Current production drums for Studio?  (Read 805 times)

Thomas Lester

Current production drums for Studio?
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

Hi all -

As most of you have read, I'm looking for a new set for studio.  However, my Son is also going to be using it for performances.  So...  I'm hoping to find a current production set that sounds really good.  Why current?   Because I want all the modern mounting hardware to make my Son's life easier when he's using it.

Any advice?  I was looking at the DW's (and still am), but there were a lot of negative comments about their recordability.   So...  what's hot right now?  

He's currently playing Yamaha's.  I've recorded Yamaha's many time, but almost always in a Jazz, Modern Jazz, or pop setting.  Never rock.  I"m sure they can do it.  However... what else would you fine folks recommend?

-Tom

Podgorny

Re: Current production drums for Studio?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:01 AM »

Man, it's fun to pick on DW.  They're like the SSL of drums - ubiquitous, a little vanilla, and slightly overpriced...  But you won't be disappointed.

I've recorded many DW kits, and I've NEVER thought they sounded bad.
But as was said in the other drum thread, if you're looking at DW, consider a Pork Pie kit.  They make wonderful-sounding drums that are every bit as nice as DW's.

Oh, and I know some guys are into their Yamahas.  They're okay, but I've never had one make me smile the way some Old Ludwigs or Rogers (or the aforementioned Pork Pies) have.

"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

C.Cash

Re: Current production drums for Studio?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »

After lots of research and asking lots of questions I just
ordered the Ludwig Legacy Classic. All of the most hailed drums allot of which were old Ludwigs were all thin 3 ply/wood, maple/poplar/maple. I searched high and low and the only 3ply maple/poplar/maple thin shell I could find was the (kinda new) Ludwig Legacy Classic.I was also told that a virgin bass drum was best(no holes)and this set mounts the floating toms on stand as apposed to mounting on the bass drum.All the hardware i ordered is DW so I should have the best of both worlds. Its going to take 90 days to ship so I cant say how it sounds. I ordered it from Forks Drum Closet in Nashville.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 18 queries.