R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor acoustics help  (Read 1565 times)

Husky0628

monitor acoustics help
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:29:26 pm »

I understand the basics of acoustic setup such as, bass traps, absorption, early reflections and such. I am just having trouble on how to tackle my current room. I understand acoustic foam on the right and left of the monitors to catch early reflections and bass traps in the back. I am just not sure how I should go about setting up the foam with the room I have due to the angled walls. As you can see from the diagram (the bottom picture), my soon to be monitoring room has quite an odd shape. Besides being 5'1" by 12', my issue is how the walls are angled on the left and how to properly setup this room. To make matters worse, the walls are plaster I believe (house built in 1836)except the wall on the right is a new addition made of 3/4 plywood. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Starting off in recording and loving it

Ethan Winer

Re: monitor acoustics help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 04:14:16 pm »

Corners that are not 90 degrees are still corners, and so are good candidates for bass traps. Another thing to try is my bass-weighted pink noise file as described here:

http://www.realtraps.com/lf-noise.htm

The idea is to find where the bass builds up, because that's where traps will be most effective.

--Ethan

Husky0628

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:53:14 pm »

Thank you very much Ethan! that helps me out alot. I will definetly try the pink noise out. Smile
Starting off in recording and loving it

franman

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:30:56 pm »

That's a tough room.. with the very low angled ceiling on one side and limited ceiling height everywhere... You will have to figure out how to control reflections from this (close) ceiling as well... Put as much deep trapping at the rear of the room as you can, and then be prepared to play around with speaker location to try and optimize bass response. ... Only then worry about the reflection control final placement... ok?
Francis Manzella - President, FM Design Ltd.
                 - Managing Director, Griffin Audio
fmdesign.com
griffinaudiousa.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up