R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yes We Can - WILL.I.AM’S OBAMA VIDEO  (Read 3597 times)

rnicklaus

Yes We Can - WILL.I.AM’S OBAMA VIDEO
« on: February 04, 2008, 05:00:53 PM »

http://www.dipdive.com/

WILL.I.AM’S OBAMA VIDEO: Inspired by Barack Obama’s speech in New Hampshire, will.i.am has set the text to music, creating “The Yes We Can” song and video, directed by Jesse Dylan, with a cast that includes musicians, actors and athletes, among others, Scarlett Johansson, Common, Herbie Hancock, John Legend, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Nicole Scherzinger, Esthero, Live’s Ed Kowalczyk, Nick Cannon, Taryn Manning, Tatyana Ali and music biz attorney Fred Goldring, also one of the executive producers.
R.N.

MDM,

Re: Yes We Can - WILL.I.AM’S OBAMA VIDEO
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 05:15:27 PM »

the question that comes to mind is: What?

yes we can WHAT?

Obama's speeches are filled with 'change' 'oppression' 'yes we can'

you know what? I think obama really is a rock star.

or maybe he's just being 'sampled' like Martin L. King..

either way it's all very nice and inspiring..

once the campaign is over, the songs will be over as well, what will be left?

my feelings are that Obama is the next 'planned' president in line, ready to support more military spending and more debt in the form of government spending to feed the dinosaurs..

where will the money come from??

will 'Yes we CAN' be the new official music for the MASTER CHARGE advertising campaign, do you think?
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

rnicklaus

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush forecast the U.S. budget deficit would more than double in 2008 and blamed a softer economy as he unveiled a $3.1 trillion spending plan for fiscal 2009 on Monday that would nearly freeze domestic programs.

The White House projections were immediately criticized by both Democratic and Republican lawmakers who said the numbers may gloss over the full extent of the fiscal deterioration and failed to include the full Iraq and Afghanistan war costs.

With the economy teetering on the brink of a recession, Bush said the deficit would reach $410 billion for the budget year 2008 that ends on September 30 and $407 billion for fiscal 2009 that begins on October 1.

The budget makes military spending and the Iraq war its centerpiece, proposing a 7.5 percent increase for the Pentagon to $515 billion.

On top of that Bush also sought another $70 billion for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan but that money is only expected to cover those costs for part of 2009. The administration said it would ask for more Iraq money later.

"The budget protects America and encourages economic growth. Congress needs to pass it," Bush said after meeting with his Cabinet. The grimmer budget outlook will be inherited by the next president, who succeeds Bush in January 2009.

While the near-term deficits are a concern, many budget experts are bracing for much more serious fiscal problems in coming years as the baby boom generation's retirement causes spending on health care and other entitlements to explode.

The blueprint also assumes deep cuts in many popular domestic programs such as highway funds and heating assistance for the poor, in addition to wringing out billions in savings from the Medicare program for the elderly and disabled.

While many -- if not most -- of the priorities of the Bush budget will be jettisoned by the Democratic-led U.S. Congress, the unveiling of the document is sure to trigger a new round of sparring over Bush's fiscal policies and his economic legacy.

Democrats have hammered Bush for presiding over a shift to deficits after taking office amid budget surpluses, pointing to a jump in the national debt to $9 trillion from about $5.6 trillion when Bush took office in January 2001.

"Far from proposing a plan to fix the budget, the Bush administration proposes policies that worsen it, and with little compunction, leaves the consequences for the next administration and future generations," said House Budget Committee Chairman John Spratt, a South Carolina Democrat.

While some Republican legislators welcomed the budget, New Hampshire Sen. Judd Gregg, the senior Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, was scathing, saying it lacked credibility.

"This budget must have been viewed by them more as an academic exercise than a serious exercise because it's not a serious budget," Gregg told Reuters in an interview. "There are even more games than usual."

IRAQ WAR ADDS TO RED INK

Bush forecast deficits of over $400 billion in the next two years. That would be more than twice the size of the $162 billion gap of 2007 and approach the $413 billion all-time high for the deficit hit in 2004.

The bigger deficits, caused in part by weakening revenues amid a slower economy, would reverse a trend of the past three years in which annual deficits declined.

A promised $150 billion stimulus package of tax rebates meant to jolt the economy away from recession will also add to the deficit. Funding for the Iraq war is another source of red ink.

Bush said despite the worsening near-term deficit, it would still be possible to balance the budget by 2012 while making permanent tax cuts he made in 2001 and 2003.

But lawmakers gave numerous reasons why they thought his budget masked the true fiscal woes.

They noted it only includes a portion of the expected funding for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars in 2009 and the economic forecasts underlying the figures are above those of private-sector economists.

White House budget director Jim Nussle said he expected to provide lawmakers with details about how much more money would be needed for the war after the top U.S. commander of forces in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus, gives a status report in March.

"We will send that up to Congress shortly after that," Nussle said.

Another area in which Bush sought more spending was combating illegal immigration, a popular Republican cause. He sought 17 percent more for customs and immigration enforcement, including funds for a border fence and more border patrol agents.

(Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick, Tabassum Zakaria and Richard Cowan; editing by Vicki Allen)
R.N.

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »

I don't believe Mr. Obama has the skills needed to be president.  He speaks of change in vague terms (as been said here) and has neither the experience nor the connections to bring about change.

Buzzwords are his message without meat and substance.  I wish he were more qualified.  And he may have to be the candidate for whom I vote but I won't like it.

People like "feel good" messages about new directions and change.  And "Washington is broken" has been the rally cry since before I was born.

Dear God I wish we had better choices than any of these people.

J-Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »

Barry Hufker wrote on Mon, 04 February 2008 18:25

I wish he were more qualified.  And he may have to be the candidate for whom I vote but I won't like it.

Barry, that makes NO sense. PLEASE explain your rationale.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »

Mr. Obama has one term as a state senator and one term as a U.S. senator.  And although he has been around politics in the last 10 years, it is different to be a (or the) politician than just work for one, or just work on one's campaign.  Although he has served on a few committees, he has little to no direct experience in foreign affairs.

Have we elected president's with less experience?  Yes.  Should we have? No.

J-Texas

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:48:16 PM »

Agreed. The part that needs clarification for me is why he has to be the candidate that you vote for? Ron Paul has more substance. Hillary at least has the best personal aid there is... a husband who is a former president!

If it came down to Obama and an oppponent, would you still vote for him? Why?
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »

I'm not sure I made myself clear earlier.  In the primary in Missouri I'll be voting for Hilary.  But it could be when all the delegates meet during the convention that Obama is made the Dem's candidate.  If that is the case, and I don't want it to be, I will vote for him to be president.  I won't put another Republican of any sort in the White House.

You have to remember how we think here in Missouri.  We're the ones who elected a dead guy to office rather than John Ashcroft.

garret

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »

I don't get this Obama has no experience meme.

My 4 year old has no experience.  Most people do not have the experience to be President... but Obama?

- Obama is older than Kennedy, Clinton, and Teddy Roosevelt were when they began their first terms.

- He's also older than Martin Luther King was when he gave his "I have a Dream" speech.

- He graduated from Columbia in 1983, then worked as a community organizer for five years in Chicago.  

- He graduated with top honors from Harvard Law School in 1991.  Harvard is ranked in the top couple of law schools in the US... he was at the top of his class, and was elected editor of the Harvard Law Review. This is major league stuff.

- After graduation from Harvard, for 5 years, he taught Constitutional law at the University of Chicago, and worked as a civil rights attorney (in a staff/research role for a Chicago law firm.).

Ya know, it might be nice to have someone in the whitehouse who could explain the "elastic clause."   Think of all the possibly-unconstitutional power grabs of the Bush administration.  Guantanamo, wiretapping, signing statements, torture policies, Terry Sciavo, the Patriot Act, etc... There's a lot of work to be done to restore balance to our government... it might take a president who knows Constitutional law as well as Obama to fix things.

-- Obama was elected a State Senator in 1996, and served for 8 years until he was elected to the US Senate in 2004.   I live in Illinos... even while Obama was a state senator, his actions were daily news.  He was a major change agent in the state.

-- In his time as a US Senator, he has been very active... the wikipedia entries do a good job summarizing things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#109th_Congress
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#110th_Congress

Remember that our best presidents have been skillful communicators and motivators, not always nuts and bolts policy wonks.  The trick is to find someone with the intellect to get the details right, but with the very rare ability to change people's opinions and make things happen.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

John Ivan

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:33:19 AM »

I don't like Ron Paul nearly as much as some do... He's smart, {I guess} but I've been reading a bit about his old series of "News Letters" and while he claims he didn't know what was in them at the time, {which is bad enough}, his general attitude leaves a bad taste in my mouth.. He's not saying anything ground breaking either.. It's easy to spout off about policies that would mean certain political suicide for everyone except him, ya know,, the guy who could never be elected.. In other words, "easy for you to say Ron"

My guy was Edwards. He was electable and I believe he wants real change.. My second choice is Obama.. He's going to be very very busy.. People with his energy move forward fast and I think we'll see him move left, not right if he's elected.. I also think he really can move people on the right to see things his way..

I like Clinton. But I believe her being president brings to much baggage for the average American. This matters.. We need people talking about policy , not her husband. I like her though, and will vote for her if she's it..

I think an Obama Presidency would bring HUGE changes in the way we do business in this country as it relates to economic fairness, health care, and many other items, {The FCC, the FAA, the Patriot Act,,}

We'll see.. Hey, things look good in either case from where I sit.. I just don't see a Republican who has said anything worth reporting this time around.. I've listened closely and it's a big blank Red page of nothing.. Except for the emptiness.. OH,, and there is the total lack of content as well.. Yeah, and the,, um,, big black hole in space that the Republicans have going for them..

Then, there's THIS.. An amusing {not} photo.

http://charter.net/news/news_image.php?storyid=14373637& feedid=14

YIKES!!!

Ivan.......................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:03 AM »

I too wish John Edwards was "the guy" -- the Dem candidate for president.

As I said, I'll vote for whomever is the Dem candidate -- even if he's a dead guy.

MDM,

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »

I Don't see how Ron Paul could fit into EITHER parties.

he's been saying the same things for 30 odd years, and has been swimming upstream, opposing all attempts at government expansion.

I don't think people understand that when the government does everything possible it is primarily to create jobs and prosperity through taxation and inflation..

many 'communist' countries work this way and I assure you government intervention only creates chaos and re-directs much of the money to the elite classes which control the game.

Ron Paul is the only one who actually has studied monetary policy and wishes to apply the ideal of independance..

Hillary, as tame as she may seem, is part of the establishment and has too many friends and allies in the corporate world..

Her husband has too many friends in the corporate world..

they WILL NOT go against the interests of the ultra-rich, they will try and work around them perhaps, but they are TIED to the political world.

Ron Paul is the best candidate, regardless of what party..

with a two-party system, the differences between reps and dems is only an APPEARANCE anyway..

I think OBAMA was put there as the perfect successor to BUSH..

both have the capacity to controlled, both speak in largely emotional terms, both promise salvation in their own EMOTIONAL manner..

real salvation can only happen by strengthening the USA and ELIMINATING any influence which might DISSOLVE IT'S BORDERS.
I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy .. in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry and music.
John Adams (1735-1826) 2nd President, United States

J-Texas

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »

MDM, wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 07:17

I Don't see how Ron Paul could fit into EITHER parties.

I made the mistake of saying this over in the mic forum (it promptly got removed and I got a PM over it... I digress):

Since you changed your handle, Max, I agree with you more!  Laughing

Ron Paul defines himself as a constitutionalist. He believes that at one time, the GOP was more in line with his way of thinking... (the Founding Fathers)! The Reps have "lossed their way" according to him. He has said that he is not interested in running as an Independent if he doesn't get the Republican nomination. I wish he would though.

What I really agree with him on is not giving subsidies to fund government entitlement programs. You can't take money from one taxpayer and give it to another. The money has to come from somewhere... and he's NOT into just printing money when you need it. He's into a more stable dollar in which your investments are secure. Where the elderly, who live off of private investments, social security, CDs, whatever... don't have their money robbed from them immediately because of inflation.

Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

danickstr

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »

Obama will get my vote in November based on high intelligence alone.  Oval office has been without it directly for 8 years.
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

J-Texas

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 11:39:36 AM »

Which will amount to beans when it comes time to "pay up" on his campaign support!
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

garret

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 11:55:12 AM »

I don't think he is going to have a lot of favors to pay back.

Of the short list of viable candidates, Obama is taking the least amount of money from lobbyists.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/select.asp?Ind=K02

Hillary has raised a lot of her money (33%) from people who can contribute the max ($4,600).

Obama and McCain are around 10%.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/donordems.asp?filter=A& ;sortby=X

J-Texas

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »

That you know of.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

danickstr

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »

you imply that you have credible inside info.  I am sure the media would love to get a hold of it.  Why not share it with all of us?
Nick Dellos - MCPE  

Food for thought for the future:              http://http://www.kurzweilai.net/" target="_blank">http://www.kurzweilai.net/www.physorg.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »

As far as I'm aware (from my contributions), the max personal amount is $2300.00.  I know this because I see it all the time and none of it is tax deductible.

garret

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »

It's $2,300 for the primary season, and $2,300 for the general election for a max of $4,600.

J-Texas

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »

danickstr wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 11:35

you imply that you have credible inside info.  I am sure the media would love to get a hold of it.  Why not share it with all of us?

You're right. I have not one shred of evidence to support my claim. It is my opinion that it would be a completely naive assumption that candidates weren't monetarily (on the books or not) supported by corporations and/or others that stand to gain something if he/she was elected.
Jason Thompson
www.4141studios.com

Barry Hufker

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

Garret,

Thanks for the clarification.

Barry

John Ivan

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 08:09:19 PM »

Obama has MORE experience working in organized Governing bodies than Clinton does.. He in fact does have some specific information regarding policy. If you go to his web site, you can find some compelling positions on the issues..

I think attitude and being an amazing communicator beats connections and executive experience every time..I believe he will find fewer hurdles to jump than Clinton.

I'll vote for who ever the Democrat is in the General and frankly, I wont be holding nose in either case.. I think we have two very smart, well meaning motivated people running..

Ivan..................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Barry Hufker

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 12:14:27 AM »

The thing fascinating me about "Washington Outsiders" is how they believe they'll be able to change "Washington".  The Congress chooses to either work with or against the President.  A President without any strong connections in the Congress can't twist arms and make deals when he needs to.

The President who best understood that was Lindon Johnson.  He had been in the Senate for years.  He knew everyone personally.  He knew their strengths, weaknesses and had "the dirt" on them all.  When he wanted something done in Congress he kicked ass.  To me, that's a President.

Hilary won't have any hurdles to jump.  Everything that could be done to her has been done, years ago.  She has nothing to hide, nothing to be beaten about the head and shoulders with.  Like her or not, in many ways she's indestructible.  Obama has not had that experience.

I still want John Edwards.

John Ivan

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:16 AM »

Barry,,

It's NOT that I don't like her.. I in fact think she's good people AND up to the task.. I think Obama is rare in that he can have relationships up and running in seconds.. He is an incredibly powerful personality and people LOVE to say yes to this guy. Not only that, but I believe that there will be an overwhelmingly Democratic Congress as well.

I'll say it again, I will be happy with either one of them. I just think Obama will be better at mending hearts and minds around the world. I know some people play down {I'm not saying you do this Barry} the importance of ones ability to emotionally connect to people, but I think it may be more important now than at any time in recent history {or maybe ever}that we have leadership that lives and breaths optimism. I know that we need excellent policy and problem solving skills to go along with this. On that note, the two of them are not far off one from another..

In any case, I'm happy that the country is giving smart, well meaning leadership a close look. Personally, I need a push these days to help dig myself out of what has been a pretty dark hole I created for myself.. I allowed all these problems to creep a little to far into my personal heart.. And this was my own doing. People like Obama AND Clinton are giving me some hope that we can begin to govern our way out of the worst set of policy decisions we have ever made as a Nation. .. So I'm digin' it..

Ivan...............................

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.