R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anybody here use a jecklin disc for drum room sounds?  (Read 4775 times)

chickenbop

Anybody got an opinion on this?It seems that using a jecklin disc for getting drum room sounds would be more convenient(quicker) than using a spaced pair of omnis.I thought it worked pretty well when I tried it.I assume it would provide similar results to T.H.E.'s head mic and the like.What do y'all think?

snaggle

Re: Does anybody here use a jecklin disc for drum room sounds?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 11:43:52 PM »

i use a homemade very ghetto looking version for overheads, i really like it.. i also use it as a sort of overhead for clean guitar.. with my room it gives me a very old timey sound, i really really like it for that..

mitgong

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 11:23:19 AM »

I do it all the time, sorta by default.  It sounds like a head: for better and for worse.  I imagine a spaced pair would be more interesting as an "effect", but you can really lean on the Jecklin.

Generally I'm tracking the whole band live, so my room mics are more of a full-band glue than something I'm using just for the drums.
My name is Matthew Saccuccimorano.  I should be working, but I'm posting this message instead.  I deserve punishment.

josh

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 11:39:10 AM »

I have yet to find a drum miking technique that I like as well as recording with my Jecklin Disk to get most of the sound.  

In fact the Jecklin Disk is the king for all kinds of recordings including percussion, acoustic guitar, etc., but kills on drums.

IMHO-

doesn't sound like a regular pop record though, so if you're into that, then don't bother.

brandondrury

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »

I want to try this.  

It looks like a pretty straight forward device.  Is there a really a bunch of acoustical mumbo jumbo necessary or can you get decent results with a piece of plywood in between two mics?

I figured I would ask before I tried it myself.

Brandon

josh

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 09:44:31 AM »

brandondrury wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 03:55

I want to try this.  

It looks like a pretty straight forward device.  Is there a really a bunch of acoustical mumbo jumbo necessary or can you get decent results with a piece of plywood in between two mics?

I figured I would ask before I tried it myself.

Brandon

Well, you have to put some acoustic foam on the plywood on each side and find a way to 1) mount it to a stand and 2) mount mics on it.  But yeah, it's basically a 12" diameter circular (mine's actually squarish) baffle with a plywood or other similar density core about 1/4" to 3/8" thick covered with 1" or so of acoustic foam and then maybe a piece of "fake fur" or something over the top of the acoustic foam since acaoustic foam can be a little bit reflective at very high frequencies.

LanceSexington

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 03:36:08 PM »

I have found that just by using the head of a local trasiant from under the bridge down by the river makes a more accurate representation of the Jeklen disk after you jam a couple of Panasonic elements into its ears...but it starts to reek if you dont freeze it after a few days. Beats paying the full price for one.
Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 20 queries.